VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Why is electrification losing momentum? What's your excuse for not buying an EV?

• Duh, because EVs are too dang expensive!

Votes: 45 26.6%
  • Duh, because dealerships don't have any EV/PHE/HEV/ICE in their stock!

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • Duh, 300 miles EV range is still not good enough for me

Votes: 25 14.8%
  • Duh, I don't have hours and days to charge EVs

Votes: 17 10.1%
  • Duh, I ain't got any libertard charging stations near here boondocks!

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Duh, Electrification will never happen. Americans are addicted to ICE. Which country you from?

Votes: 8 4.7%
  • Duh, high gas prices aren't here to stay. Don't panic and keep yer V8, fellas!

Votes: 10 5.9%
  • Well, I have another reason why (tell us)...

Votes: 14 8.3%
  • Hey everyone, Uber Wagon is a hypocrite. He bragged about buying a V6-turbo in TCL recently.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Ban Uber.

Votes: 12 7.1%
  • Hey Uber, I already did my part and have PHEV/EV in my garage.

Votes: 17 10.1%
981 - 1000 of 1310 Posts

·
Registered
13,494 Posts
the charging infrastructure is not there for traveling. great for an around town or short trips. the taycan is a pretty sweet car though, for an ev
Oh boy... seems you're new here. Anything deemed negative about EVs, even if it's common knowledge is met with * * * * * ** * ** * * "gasp" ** * ** **!
Please take such verbiage in stride, it's only asterisks, carry on. It all abates quickly after the doughnuts arrive. Though the arguments for and against sprinkles does get pretty intense at times, stay out of those. They're good people, overly passionate about a mode of conveyance, but still good people.

But seriously, yes, the Taycan looks awesome to me too (y)

·
Registered
16,751 Posts
Here's an interesting challenge. Nobody in here is disagreeing that charging infrastructure needs to improve.

That said, I am in Las Vegas, Nevada. When I get into my car tonight, I will type in a location and see how my navigation routes me there via superchargers.

I am still not saying that EVs are better than gas cars for road trips. But they have generally become functional.

Pick a location in the contiguous 48. I will post up a picture of how my Tesla routes me there.

·
Registered
7,919 Posts
Here's an interesting challenge. Nobody in here is disagreeing that charging infrastructure needs to improve.

That said, I am in Las Vegas, Nevada. When I get into my car tonight, I will type in a location and see how my navigation routes me there via superchargers.

I am still not saying that EVs are better than gas cars for road trips. But they have generally become functional.

Pick a location in the contiguous 48. I will post up a picture of how my Tesla routes me there.
Mt Rushmore

·
Registered
16,751 Posts
Mt Rushmore

Boom. Now, the disclaimers:

Even though the map shows the first supercharger having 5 open stalls, and the second having 20 open stalls, who knows the capacity when you actually arrive to charge.

Also, each stop would likely be for 25 minutes, or about 15 minutes longer than a gas station stop. And there are probably more stops here than you would make at gas stations.

So figure this adds 2-2.5 hours to your trip. NOT IDEAL. But it is functional. It's a start.

·
Registered
50,351 Posts

Even though the map shows the first supercharger having 5 open stalls, and the second having 20 open stalls, who knows the capacity when you actually arrive to charge.

Also, each stop would likely be for 25 minutes, or about 15 minutes longer than a gas station stop. And there are probably more stops here than you would make at gas stations.

So figure this adds 2-2.5 hours to your trip. NOT IDEAL. But it is functional. It's a start.

This can also be done on Tesla's website.

·
Registered
7,919 Posts

Can you do the same trip on Google maps and compare the time estimates?

·
Registered
16,751 Posts
Can you do the same trip on Google maps and compare the time estimates?
My Tesla estimates 19h 30min
Mapquest estimates 15h 39 min.

So again, not ideal. But very do-able. And this doesn't take into account SOME time saving options (like charging the car when you sit down to eat so it's not all dead charging time).

But there's no doubt that for long road trips, gas cars are still king.

·
Registered
13,494 Posts

"Adds two hours to your trip" says the car salesman that wants you to buy the EV that costs more and requires you to buy a home charger. Oh, and the selection is limited compared to the plethora of gas/hybrid options.

Never mind, customer left as soon as I said "adds two hours", lol.

·
Registered
16,751 Posts
"Adds two hours to your trip" says the car salesman that wants you to buy the EV that costs more and requires you to buy a home charger. Oh, and the selection is limited compared to the plethora of gas/hybrid options.

Officially on my ignore list. This is the first time in 21 years that I have done this. I can handle opposing viewpoints. I can handle idiots and *******s. But this guy literally is just inflammatory and derails otherwise interesting discussions.

·
Registered
13,494 Posts
Interestingly, the website has fewer stops with longer charges, whereas the built-in routing in my Tesla has more stops, but with shorter charging times. Meh.
Schnell, seriously, if you're in Vegas there's got to be something way more entertaining going on around you than looking at EV charging sites and stating the obvious. Pics of strip or stripper or this isn't really happening. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
13,494 Posts
Officially on my ignore list. This is the first time in 21 years that I have done this. I can handle opposing viewpoints. I can handle idiots and *******s. But this guy literally is just inflammatory and derails otherwise interesting discussions.
C'mon, adding two hours to a trip is a pretty big deal by any standards. And it's germane to the thread topic.

Americans are not switching to electric vehicles for many reasons. Your example is one of those reasons.

Much has been said about car dealerships being averse to selling EVs, by your example I can see where a salesperson would have trouble some times and even prefer to push what will sell without a lengthy explanation.

·
Registered
50,351 Posts

I guess you aren't a customer for an EV unlike over half a million US car buyers in 2021. :unsure:

·
Registered
13,494 Posts
sorry 'bout that. had a bad day and took it out on the wrong people.

i like gas engines too; i'll see myself out.
Oh man, it's just words, you did nothing wrong(y)

It's all good. You're coming from a good place and never once used an asterisk over this stuff. Some people are just so emotional, over this too, lol. Enjoy the rest of the day and come hang again. We're all going to solve this together in a hot tub in Vegas

·
Registered
50,351 Posts
C'mon, adding two hours to a trip is a pretty big deal by any standards. And it's germane to the thread topic.
This is also a 1100 mile trip. Most people will spend at least 1 night in a hotel where they will charge their car for free to 100%, and thus have a couple fewer charging stops compared to trying to drive 1100 miles in a straight shot.

·
Registered
13,494 Posts
This is also a 1100 mile trip. Most people will spend at least 1 night in a hotel where they will charge their car for free to 100%, and thus have a couple fewer charging stops compared to trying to drive 1100 miles in a straight shot.
See, this is what I'm talking about, even Schnell manned up and told the truth and didn't candy coat it. If it straight up takes way longer with an EV, then it just does. Playing apologizer serves no one. Straight up the way it's layed, the whole trip is longer with an EV. I respect Schnell for that and we're all adults here.

That extra two, two and a half hours is indeed huge and describing that to a potential customer is a definite negative. A negative that doesn't exist with gas models that come in more varieties and can be found at better values.

Our high gas prices aren't getting people to shop EVs. They have their own bag of issues.

·
Registered
16,751 Posts
That's true, too.

The counterpoint, though, is that I would normally drive 90mph+ on a roadtrip. But with EVs, if you tried to drive that fast, you'd burn down the battery really quickly.

So the net result is that the trip will take longer. How much longer? Depends on a ton of factors. But figure 25% longer. Maybe less. Maybe more. Still not ideal.

·
Registered
87,963 Posts
See, this is what I'm talking about, even Schnell manned up and told the truth and didn't candy coat it. If it straight up takes way longer with an EV, then it just does. Playing apologizer serves no one. Straight up the way it's layed, the whole trip is longer with an EV. I respect Schnell for that and we're all adults here.

That extra two, two and a half hours is indeed huge and describing that to a potential customer is a definite negative. A negative that doesn't exist with gas models that come in more varieties and can be found at better values.

Our high gas prices aren't getting people to shop EVs. They have their own bag of issues.
But let's look at big picture ignoring that you should take lots of breaks on a long road trip for health and safety reasons - you could be like my crazy aunt and uncle that drove straight from Montana to WV and back all the time only stopping for gas several time a year for decades- sometime while hauling a heavy load.
An EV takes longer to drive long distances = true.
But most people get their vehicles serviced before a long trip.
That is not needed with an EV.
How much time does that save?
No checking oil at every gas fill-up.
No adding coolant.
No timing belt/chains jobs.
No serpentine belt concerns.
No concern over head-gaskets or exhaust leaks.
A Check Engine Light? WTF is that (said no VW owner evAr)
FWIW- I don't have a horse in this race.
EVs are at that point that the compromises seem extremely minor considering the pros.

·
Registered
87,963 Posts
That's true, too.

The counterpoint, though, is that I would normally drive 90mph+ on a roadtrip. But with EVs, if you tried to drive that fast, you'd burn down the battery really quickly.

So the net result is that the trip will take longer. How much longer? Depends on a ton of factors. But figure 25% longer. Maybe less. Maybe more. Still not ideal.
And if you drive a typical ICE vehicle at 90+ MPH you will be stopping for gas more often also.
My trucks gets 20 mpg at 90, and 30 at 60. I Kid You Not.

981 - 1000 of 1310 Posts