VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Why is electrification losing momentum? What's your excuse for not buying an EV?

• Duh, because EVs are too dang expensive!

Votes: 45 26.6%
  • Duh, because dealerships don't have any EV/PHE/HEV/ICE in their stock!

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • Duh, 300 miles EV range is still not good enough for me

Votes: 25 14.8%
  • Duh, I don't have hours and days to charge EVs

Votes: 17 10.1%
  • Duh, I ain't got any libertard charging stations near here boondocks!

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Duh, Electrification will never happen. Americans are addicted to ICE. Which country you from?

Votes: 8 4.7%
  • Duh, high gas prices aren't here to stay. Don't panic and keep yer V8, fellas!

Votes: 10 5.9%
  • Well, I have another reason why (tell us)...

Votes: 14 8.3%
  • Hey everyone, Uber Wagon is a hypocrite. He bragged about buying a V6-turbo in TCL recently.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Ban Uber.

Votes: 12 7.1%
  • Hey Uber, I already did my part and have PHEV/EV in my garage.

Votes: 17 10.1%
1001 - 1020 of 1310 Posts

·
Registered
13,494 Posts
But let's look at big picture ignoring that you should take lots of breaks on a long road trip for health and safety reasons - you could be like my crazy aunt and uncle that drove straight from Montana to WV and back all the time only stopping for gas several time a year for decades- sometime while hauling a heavy load.
An EV takes longer to drive long distances = true.
But most people get their vehicles serviced before a long trip.
That is not needed with an EV.
How much time does that save?
No checking oil at every gas fill-up.
No adding coolant.
No timing belt/chains jobs.
No serpentine belt concerns.
No concern over head-gaskets or exhaust leaks.
A Check Engine Light? WTF is that (said no VW owner evAr)
FWIW- I don't have a horse in this race.
EVs are at that point that the compromises seem extremely minor considering the pros.
Wow, again, trying to paint a picture full of assumptions serves no one.

It takes two and a half hours longer, trying to candy coat it is as transparent as it is sad.

·
Registered
50,351 Posts
See, this is what I'm talking about, even Schnell manned up and told the truth and didn't candy coat it. If it straight up takes way longer with an EV, then it just does. Playing apologizer serves no one. Straight up the way it's layed, the whole trip is longer with an EV. I respect Schnell for that and we're all adults here.

That extra two, two and a half hours is indeed huge and describing that to a potential customer is a definite negative. A negative that doesn't exist with gas models that come in more varieties and can be found at better values.

Our high gas prices aren't getting people to shop EVs. They have their own bag of issues.
Those 2 hours aren't all at the same stop. According to schnell's map, there are 8 charging stops. So 15 extra minutes per stop. It gives you time to piss, stretch your legs, buy some road snacks. You are making those two hours a mountain out of a molehill.

Additionally, if you regularly drive long trips like that on a weekly basis then I might concede the difference starts to be more substantial. But once or twice a year an extra 2 hours, spread over 8 stops, compared to all the times you will get gas at some random gas station? Meh.

And on that two day trip, there will be two lunch stops which are also charging stops. So unless you don't eat when driving ICE, you are looking at another hour off of that two extra hours.

This is why I prefer using A Better Route Planner than Tesla's website. ABRP gives you more details on the stop times.

Ecoregion Map World Screenshot Parallel

·
Registered
50,351 Posts

·
Registered
13,494 Posts
Those 2 hours aren't all at the same stop. According to schnell's map, there are 8 charging stops. So 15 extra minutes per stop. It gives you time to piss, stretch your legs, buy some road snacks. You are making those two hours a mountain out of a molehill.

Additionally, if you regularly drive long trips like that on a weekly basis then I might concede the difference starts to be more substantial. But once or twice a year an extra 2 hours, spread over 8 stops, compared to all the times you will get gas at some random gas station? Meh.

And on that two day trip, there will be two lunch stops which are also charging stops. So unless you don't eat when driving ICE, you are looking at another hour off of that two extra hours.
Ha!

It's no different than your prior post and BR's, you can try to paint it but it takes longer with an EV. To argue against that with self imagined scenarios is being apologetic and trying too hard.

A disingenuous argument against real limitations won't find purchase with people who can readily see the falsehood of your attempt

·
Registered
87,963 Posts

·
Registered
7,931 Posts
No need to debate the merits of EVs once more. That's not particularly relevant to this discussion.

EV manufacturing is ramping about as fast as it can. The main reason why Americans can't just go EV in masse is that there simply aren't enough to buy yet. That also pushes price pressure on EVs, which will only get worse in light of recent events. That delays EVs hitting price parity with ICE, even accounting for fuel costs.
Nope, I'll continue to pay over $6 per gallon for my fleet gladly. My vehicles have soul...EV's are like dishwashers in my view.

·
Registered
12,409 Posts
Nope, I'll continue to pay over $6 per gallon for my fleet gladly. My vehicles have soul...EV's are like dishwashers in my view.
Most EVs made to date are in fact appliances, but I don’t think a car’s soul comes from the internal combustion engine. I think a lot of EV haters will be pleasantly surprised by what’s out there in 20 years.

But I too will still have an ICE powered car in my stable. They will be like horses or mechanical watches- something for enthusiasts and special occasions rather that day to day.

·
Registered
50,351 Posts
Ha!

It's no different than your prior post and BR's, you can try to paint it but it takes longer with an EV. To argue against that with self imagined scenarios is being apologetic and trying too hard.

A disingenuous argument against real limitations won't find purchase with people who can readily see the falsehood of your attempt
No, just an honest analysis of how people actually drive a route like this. Total time is 2 hours IF the ICE driver never stops. But the ICE driver stops for gas at least 4 times. Maybe even 5 times. Both drivers are stopping for multiple bathroom breaks. Both drivers are stopping for lunch and dinner. The ICE driver can't refuel while eating, he has to attend to his vehicle. The EV driver plugs in and walks away. Same with the overnight stop. And perhaps even the bathroom breaks. With an EV you plug in and walk away to take care of other needs. With ICE, you must attend to refueling and thus your stops aren't just 5 minutes to pump gas. They are 5 minutes for gas PLUS, 5 minutes for a bathroom stop, 15 minutes for fast food, 8 hours for sleeping.

Reactions: improvius

·
Registered
50,351 Posts
Most EVs made to date are in fact appliances, but I don’t think a car’s soul comes from the internal combustion engine. I think a lot of EV haters will be pleasantly surprised by what’s out there in 20 years.

But I too will still have an ICE powered car in my stable. They will be like horses or mechanical watches- something for enthusiasts and special occasions rather that day to day.
I can't wait for the day that Porsche produces a 2 seat EV sports car - ala Cayman/Boxster EV. I will be in line to trade in my Cayman GTS 981.

·
Registered
13,494 Posts
No, just an honest analysis of how people actually drive a route like this. Total time is 2 hours IF the ICE driver never stops. But the ICE driver stops for gas at least 4 times. Maybe even 5 times. Both drivers are stopping for multiple bathroom breaks. Both drivers are stopping for lunch and dinner. The ICE driver can't refuel while eating, he has to attend to his vehicle. The EV driver plugs in and walks away. Same with the overnight stop. And perhaps even the bathroom breaks. With an EV you plug in and walk away to take care of other needs. With ICE, you must attend to refueling and thus your stops aren't just 5 minutes to pump gas. They are 5 minutes for gas PLUS, 5 minutes for a bathroom stop, 15 minutes for fast food, 8 hours for sleeping.
This is sad, and you should feel bad for it.

·
Registered
50,351 Posts
This is sad, and you should feek bad for it.
I don't feek bad. I actually feek pretty good.
I look forward to watching a timelapse video of your uninterrupted, non-stop 11 hour drive.

·
Registered
13,494 Posts
I don't feek bad. I actually feek pretty good.
I look forward to watching a timelapse video of your uninterrupted, non-stop 11 hour drive.
Your scenarios were a sad and unnecessary attempt and for that you should indeed feel bad, it neither fools or persuades anyone reading it.

Vehicles will have pros and cons. Taking Schnell's example and concocting self imagined activities to try and negate the truth is funny.

·
Registered
50,351 Posts
Your scenarios were a sad and unnecessary attempt and for that you should indeed feel bad, it neither fools or persuades anyone reading it.

Vehicles will have pros and cons. Taking Schnell's example and concocting self imagined activities to try and negate the truth is funny.
I'm not the one comparing the raw driving time to the time an EV would require to travel the same trip but include charging stops. No one drives 11 hours without ANY stops unless you are doing a Cannonball run with a car prepped with multiple fuel tanks and empty gatorade bottles for the driver.

·
Registered
13,494 Posts

·
Registered
87,963 Posts
1001 - 1020 of 1310 Posts