VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How important is it to have a name brand wiring kit for your amp?
I've noticed that most kits run about $30, I'm thinking I could get myself a spool of 8 awg wire for a quarter of that, so The only piece I can think of that would be expensive are the RCAs what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
742 Posts
Re: Amp Wiring Kits (cvisel)

Not that important. . .most automotive power wires are the same when compared apples to apples. What does make a difference is the protection you provide to the power circuits (fuses, distribution, etc).
I have high-quality 8awg for sale that will let got for really cheap. . .even with an inline fuse, so if you're interested IM me.
As for the RCA cables, I'm with you in that getting 'expensive' ones are probably better than the Radio Shack, bottom-of-the-barrell ones. . .
Hope this helps, cheers

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks for the responses. In your opinion, if the amp has fuse already, woul you still put a fuse on the power cable?
One more question, when they state that a 300 watt amp should be on a 8 awg power lead, is that peak? or RMS? I'm thinking that since I will have 150 watt RMS amp, I might get away with 10 awg? I havn't really compared the two yet, but I'm guessing that 10 is easier to hide.
Say I were moutning the amp under the front passenger seat, is there any reason why I wouldn't take the ground back through the firewall with the power? Will I see noticably more noise with a long ground wire?
thanks

·
Registered
893 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Thanks for the responses. In your opinion, if the amp has fuse already, woul you still put a fuse on the power cable?[HR][/HR]​
Not opinion,fact! You have to put a fuse on the main power cable within 9 wire inches of the battery.The reason for the amp having a fuse is to protect the power supply of the amp.The reason for placing a fuse at the battery is to keep the car from catching fire.
quote:[HR][/HR]One more question, when they state that a 300 watt amp should be on a 8 awg power lead, is that peak? or RMS? I'm thinking that since I will have 150 watt RMS amp, I might get away with 10 awg? I havn't really compared the two yet, but I'm guessing that 10 is easier to hide.[HR][/HR]​
Your better off with an 8ga.
quote:[HR][/HR]Say I were moutning the amp under the front passenger seat, is there any reason why I wouldn't take the ground back through the firewall with the power? Will I see noticably more noise with a long ground wire?[HR][/HR]​
It's usually better to keep the ground cable as short as possible.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Re: Amp Wiring Kits (MADBUG)

quote:[HR][/HR]Say I were moutning the amp under the front passenger seat, is there any reason why I wouldn't take the ground back through the firewall with the power? Will I see noticably more noise with a long ground wire?
It's usually better to keep the ground cable as short as possible.[HR][/HR]​
And make sure that whatever you ground the line to is clean of paint etc..... More problems arise from bad grounds than just about anything else.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.