VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The specs for Amsoil series 2000 75W90 say that it is GL-2 through GL-5, MT-1. From what I understand, we need GL-4 and GL-5 is pretty bad for VW trannies in general. I have a O2J tranny. So what does this mean? I shouldn't use this?
I'm currently using Redline MT90 (which is GL-4). However, I find that it's a bit rough in the winter. It even grinds a bit for the first few shifts. Is Amsoil any better?
Thanks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Re: Amsoil Series 2000? (BikeBoy24)

I was wondering about this too, so I sent an email to amsoil as follows
"I have a 2001 VW jetta and I want to change the trans. lube. The original oil is 75W-90 GL4, I am wondering what product I should use that matches my application. I have noticed that the series 2000 75w-90 is rated for GL2-GL5 rated, how does this oil address the issue with using a GL5 oil in an application that calls for a GL4. I have heard that a GL5 oil contains ingredients that will attack the syncro material in a GL4 application."
This is their response:
"William,
While it is true that the extreme pressure, and anti wear additives in most GL-5 gear lubes can eat away at yellow metals, our AMSOIL TGR (series 2000) 75W90 has a proprietary formulation of agents that will NOT attack yellow metals such as those found in synchronizers.
Thank you,
Ed Kellerman
Manager, Amsoil Tech Services"

·
Registered
14,345 Posts
Re: Amsoil Series 2000? (wdbutrym)

I'm using AMSOIL Series 2000 75W-90 Gear Lube in my tranny, as is many others on tdiclub.com. The Series 2000 formulation is perfectly safe for the metallurgy of the VW transmission.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts