VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is going to freak out most of the car people but here are my questions. Does anyone make a trailer hitch for the R32? Also, can the R32 tow a trailer? I race motorcycles and will very rarely tow with it but is it even an option? The trailer only weighs 200lbs. and my bike is only like 240lbs. I had an Integra type R a long time ago and it pulled the trailer just fine. I know it might offend some people to put a trailer hitch on the R32 but I need to know if it can be done. Please let me know.

·
Registered
19,612 Posts
Re: An off the wall question. (Lightning254)

from the manual they do not reccommend it...I wouldn't...
to be sure check with the TT Quattro guys and see...but I wouldn't do it...

·
Registered
18,552 Posts

They make a trailer hitch for the S3, and Golf V6 4motion in Europe that is apparently quite popular.
Should fit to the R32. Might want to ask the folks over at http://www.tyresmoke.net where it
can be sourced. Other than finding suitable mount points for the hitch, I see no problems
with towing with the R32. It's got a truck motor afterall..

ian

·
Registered
12,483 Posts
Re: An off the wall question. (Daemon42)

Quote, originally posted by Daemon42 »
It's got a truck motor afterall..

ian

LOL...that's the funniest thing I've heard all day Ian

·
Registered
262 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Lightning254 »
I know this is going to freak out most of the car people but here are my questions. Does anyone make a trailer hitch for the R32? Also, can the R32 tow a trailer? I race motorcycles and will very rarely tow with it but is it even an option? The trailer only weighs 200lbs. and my bike is only like 240lbs. I had an Integra type R a long time ago and it pulled the trailer just fine. I know it might offend some people to put a trailer hitch on the R32 but I need to know if it can be done. Please let me know.

RTFB.....Owners manual says NO.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: An off the wall question. (gizmopop)

I understand that the car isn’t made for towing but I would like an R32. I just can’t convince myself to buy a car that if I want to go ride I can’t. Thanks for the information; I will try to find a hitch. If I find a hitch then I get to come get information about the car here. If not I guess I’ll get another Lightning.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Lightning254 »

Yeah, you kind of set yourself up for some flames.
This may seem crazy, but besides my R32, I own a 95 F-150 pick-up.
It has a hitch on it which I pull my boats with. Get your R, and buy yourself a beater pick-up to haul your bikes with.
I am sure a hitch can be mounted to the R32, but in my opinion it would be ghetto. The only dubs that VW has offered a hitch for are the Touareg and Eurovan. (there was one for the Vanagon too) Obviously VW engineers determined the vehicle is not suitable for towing, and I would have to agree. Why put the extra wear and tear on your drive train and brakes?
larry

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: An off the wall question. (ljhooley)

"I am sure a hitch can be mounted to the R32, but in my opinion it would be ghetto."

I went to an Autocross this weekend and saw a couple of “ghetto” cars. I saw two ZR1’s, a Viper and several other VW’s, Honda’s and Subaru’s all with hitches. I guess that towing your street legal car with your truck is a better idea than towing a small trailer with a jack and your track tire and wheels? No matter how “ghetto” it looks, a trailer hitch seems like a good idea to me. I found one that is made for a Golf/GTi, I would have to cut a hole in the bumper which really doesn’t interest me. I guess I am SOL on finding a hitch for this car. Thanks again though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts