VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone who knows me well, knows that my first Porsche was a 1985 turbo look cabriolet. Never should’ve sold the car. My second Porsche was a 1999 ocean blue 996 with factory aero kit. Loved that car and drove it for many, many miles over a number of years. I talked about it in my old blog post called “A Not-So Short History of My Car Obsession”, which is now a bit dated. But that car still calls to me.

http://davecarguy.blogspot.com/2011/12/short-history-of-my-car-obsession.html?m=1

I’ve owned many cars since I sold it, and have driven all the newer stuff without feeling the need to own many of the more upscale Porsche offerings. I came really close a couple weeks ago to buying something brand new from Porsche. But it didn’t excite me enough. Then I got an opportunity to re-invite what feels like an old friend back into my home. I found this somewhat rare, early VIN 996 with Factory Aero Kit, 6-speed, factory Sport design wheels with just 17,000 miles on it. Not blue, but they’re hard to find. Old friends are the best friends, and this one felt familiar, so I bought it from out of state, shipped it, and brought it into the garage tonight.

I couldn’t be happier. For those who know the 996 story, these early build cars were built alongside the 993s at the end of their production. It actually has a 993 VIN. They had a better IMS, different interior finishes, no drive-by-wire, etc. I bought it thinking I’d flip it on BaT, but you don’t do that to an old friend. It has a new clutch, upgraded IMS, new rear main seal, new brakes, and zero over-revs. My only plan is to lower it like my old one. I won’t drive it much, and I’ll probably sell it for double what I paid… some day. But fir now, there’s finally a P car back in the garage after I sold three of them in the last couple of years.

Welcome home, old friend !

·
Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast!
21 RS6 12 QX56 10 A6 Avant 88 16v Scirocco
11,830 Posts
Love it. I was always a .2 996 guy but man, the (especially very) early 996s are really aging well to my eye. Excited to follow along this journey!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Congrats! That car looks immaculate. I might be in the minority but I've always liked the pre facelift fried egg headlights.

Reactions: DUB0RA

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
The 996 is old enough in my mind to finally come into its own, headlights and all. I keep looking at 996 C4S’s thinking I’ll jump on one in a few years as an addition to my fleet, I think I’d rather the 90’s feel than even a 997 for a more analogue experience.

·
Registered
2007 Porsche Boxster S, 2019 VW Tiguan SEL
7,620 Posts
Congrats on the new/old car! :) I had a 99 as well for a couple years that I genuinely miss as well

Given where the prices are these days, I could have probably doubled my money just holding on to it a little longer! I'd love to get back into a 996 again, but the prices are just ridiculous and to the point where a 997 is a much better buy.

Porsche911-2 by Nicholas James, on Flickr

·
Registered
2007 Porsche Boxster S, 2019 VW Tiguan SEL
7,620 Posts
The 996 is old enough in my mind to finally come into its own, headlights and all. I keep looking at 996 C4S’s thinking I’ll jump on one in a few years as an addition to my fleet, I think I’d rather the 90’s feel than even a 997 for a more analogue experience.
996 C4S is my childhood dream car. I keep telling myself I'll buy one, but every time I look the prices are higher and higher. Quite possibly the best Porsche rear end ever..

·
Registered
2014 Mazda3 Sport 2.0 6MT / 2001 Mazda Miata 1.8 6MT
7,953 Posts
i'm always astounded by your collection.
the 996 is one of those cars i didn't like when it came out, then as 911s got bigger i started warming to it, and now i absolutely love. The aero kit is cool too.

your garage is every boy's dream. haha

·
Registered
32,119 Posts
Congrats on the new/old car! :) I had a 99 as well for a couple years that I genuinely miss as well

Given where the prices are these days, I could have probably doubled my money just holding on to it a little longer! I'd love to get back into a 996 again, but the prices are just ridiculous and to the point where a 997 is a much better buy.

Porsche911-2 by Nicholas James, on Flickr
A set of front wheels in the back?? Or were the rear wheels on the right side? :D

·
Registered
7,191 Posts
I found this somewhat rare, early VIN 996 with Factory Aero Kit, 6-speed, factory Sport design wheels with just 17,000 miles on it.

They had a better IMS, different interior finishes, no drive-by-wire, etc. I bought it thinking I’d flip it on BaT, but you don’t do that to an old friend. It has a new clutch, upgraded IMS, new rear main seal, new brakes, and zero over-revs.
Why would a car with 17k miles and a better IMS need a new clutch and an upgraded IMS?

·
Registered
11,802 Posts
The talk is lower mile cars have a higher likelyhood of IMS failure. Not sure if that true, but an IMS upgrade is cheap insurance.
If you've got the trans off for the IMS you'd be dumb to not replace the clutch and RMS.

Great find Dave!

Interesting pics. New one looks black inside. You're old one shows the color pop in the sun.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Amazing find, Dave! Early 996's are really taking off lately, as I'm sure you've been tracking on BaT. A 996.1 Aero with only 17k miles is likely to approach $50k these days. But I'm glad you are keeping it for now, and enjoying it.

·
Registered
S2000, E320
7,700 Posts
How'd you find this beaut?

Styling wise, the tide is going to continue to turn on 996s. Especially as modern 911s just get bigger and bigger. They really are svelte cars in non-widebody form, and yes .1's with the huevo frito headlights look the best.

·
Premium Member
'21 Tacoma TRD-Offroad – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
38,609 Posts
Love it, and love that the 996 is finally getting it's "moment" (or seems to be looking at the market)

1 - 20 of 155 Posts