VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
81 - 100 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
As another former early (99) aerokit owner, love to see this Dave!

I got mine for 18k in late 2018 (seems like an eternity ago):

It sold begrudginly for 27k in late 2019 (felt like a great score) - after being beat up on BaT to a paltry 24k (no way I'd let it go for that much).

Well, i'm pretty sure that today the car would've easily been in the low to mid 30s. So yes, if you've got one now and you got it anywhere in the 20s, you made away well. They will continue to go up, so for anyone else consider this an enjoyable interest-free checking account that you happen to be able to take to the track and costco :)

Protip:

ebay/china SSK ($50) + 997 shift knob + heavy knobs mod = the best shifting experience anywhere for $200 or so. You could spend $800 or so to go with Numeric, but that's my 996 secret

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 · (Edited)
I got mine for 18k in late 2018 (seems like an eternity ago):

It sold begrudginly for 27k in late 2019 (felt like a great score) - after being beat up on BaT to a paltry 24k (no way I'd let it go for that much).

Protip:

ebay/china SSK ($50) + 997 shift knob + heavy knobs mod = the best shifting experience anywhere for $200 or so. You could spend $800 or so to go with Numeric, but that's my 996 secret
Between this and both of our prior RS clone-ish cars, it seems like we keep swimming in the same pool ;-) I remember your car and your BaT non-sale. You were right to hold out! That is a great score, buying and selling for those prices! Free car! BTW, t hat gorgeous Arena Red 996 Aero would likely fetch in the low to mid $30K range now.

I like the pro-tip, I will definitely try that, because it is a tad klunky stock shifter for sure!

·
Registered
11,766 Posts
This car's near twin (with 60k more miles) just listed on BAT.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Hotdamn, I love this car. Typical of cars that get older…when it was 10 years old it was just old. Now it’s nostalgic in how it feels, sounds, feeds back. Nothing earth shattering, just “clean” in what it does. Nothing superfluous or unnecessary. It’s really a pleasure just to hear the engine. I had thought I’d do an exhaust upgrade but now I think maybe not.

·
Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg
21,000 Posts
Hotdamn, I love this car. Typical of cars that get older…when it was 10 years old it was just old. Now it’s nostalgic in how it feels, sounds, feeds back. Nothing earth shattering, just “clean” in what it does. Nothing superfluous or unnecessary. It’s really a pleasure just to hear the engine. I had thought I’d do an exhaust upgrade but now I think maybe not.
I totally get this. After 5 years of driving fast, modern cars, I'm hopelessly in love with a 22 year old BMW for the reasons you mentioned. It's a blast to drive something that was the peak of a bygone era, and think man, this was as good as it got back then.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
I just had the car wrapped in clear PPF on the hood, bumper, fenders, mirrors. Now I can drive it with less worry! I just need the painted plugs now for the front-bumper license plate holes.

Hot dang I love this engine above 4500 RPM!

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
That reminds me... I should go hit up Mine's road at some point.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Dave, I know you're a man of means but I found some local Home Depot hardware plugs that fit pretty well and just applied some touch-up paint and clear and bob was my uncle. something like $1.20 in parts and part of an afternoon in labor. I just couldn't stomach the $30 or whatever it was for premade plugs.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Zmt2: I love a good hack, but I already ordered some!

You don’t have to spend $30 (although I did, for the color match painted ones) there are lower priced options. Like this set for $4.

·
Premium Member
ND2 Miata | X350 XJR
5,491 Posts
Dave, I know you're a man of means but I found some local Home Depot hardware plugs that fit pretty well and just applied some touch-up paint and clear and bob was my uncle. something like $1.20 in parts and part of an afternoon in labor. I just couldn't stomach the $30 or whatever it was for premade plugs.
Triggered

·
Registered
'21 Muskmobile M3 Dual Motor, '10 Smugmobile
3,620 Posts
Hi Dave, I see you're still doing a great job with building the most awesome collection in the universe. I've been away from the boards for a while but some things never change ;)
This clean 996 is a very nice addition indeed. I hope she's treating you well and hope you put many safe and fun miles on this beauty. Enjoy!

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
Hi Dave, I see you're still doing a great job with building the most awesome collection in the universe. I've been away from the boards for a while but some things never change ;)
This clean 996 is a very nice addition indeed. I hope she's treating you well and hope you put many safe and fun miles on this beauty. Enjoy!
Ha, thanks Snaak! Welcome back. I took a break for a bit, too. But I keep coming back because… where else will you find so many car geeks with diverse interests in one spot.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
I just had the suspension updated and lowered a tad. The old shocks were a bit worn from age, but not mileage. I had the H&R coilover street kit added. I kept the old springs and bump stops of I ever want to go back to stock. But I can safely say I like this setup a ton. The car feels less floaty in fast corners. Better stance, too. Now I just need to decide if I want to push the tire profile out a bit with 7mm spacers.

Also had the mufflers changed to a 996 stage one muffler. Just a tad more growl, but nothing crazy. Sweet sound at all rpm levels.

I LOVE this car. For those looking for the most reasonable way to get into a 911, the 996 is a great option.

81 - 100 of 140 Posts