VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
121 - 140 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 · (Edited)
Yes, spacers are a must IMO and will match perfectly with the H&R setup. I have 7mm + H&R springs, and gives it a stance similar to the 996.1 GT3.
I'm really glad you mentioned this because I have a question on that. I looked up the H&R spacers and there is a kit for the 996 with 7mm front and 14mm rear spacers, plus new, longer lug bolts all-around. I actually ordered it and then cancelled because it looked like 14mm was going to be too wide for the rear once the car was lowered. So you used the 7mm on front and back? The question then is if the hub part of the rear still retains enough "lip" to hang/center the wheel on? With the 14mm, the spacer integrates a new hub lip as part of the spacer, but I assume the 7mm without the lip works fine on the back as-is?

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
I'm really glad you mentioned this because I have a question on that. I looked up the H&R spacers and there is a kit for the 996 with 7mm front and 14mm rear spacers, plus new, longer lug bolts all-around. I actually ordered it and then cancelled because it looked like 14mm was going to be too wide for the rear once the car was lowered. So you used the 7mm on front and back? The question then is if the hub part of the rear still retains enough "lip" to hang/center the wheel on? With the 14mm, the spacer integrates a new hubcap as part of the spacer, but I assume the 7mm without the lip works fine on the back as-is? And remind me which wheel you have on yours? I'm not sure if the offsets are any different between the various factory wheel options.
Yes, I should have clarified 7mm front. Rears are 14mm, which gets you pretty much perfectly aligned with the fender (and also within the specs of a narrow body GT3). I've had no issues with rubbing whatsoever, but the previous owner installed the suspension / spacers, so unfortunately I have no idea whether he had to modify anything for the clearance. I think you'll be fine with the 7mm/14mm setup, even with your suspension, unless you are running a wider than factory tire. My car is equipped with the Sport Design wheels (18x7.5 ET50, 18x10 ET65) w/ Michelin Pilot SS 225/40 front, 265/35 rears. I believe the specs on the Sport Designs are identical to the Sport Classic 2 wheels you have on your 996.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
On one hand, yes. On the other, the GT3 is the only way to get the NA H6 with the 6MT. The argument made a little more sense when a GT3 was just a 911 with more HP and a better suspension.
Completely agree. Or, that might also cause you to buy an older NA H6 with 6MT because of you both have said: most people don't need everything the newest GT3 can provide. I know I don't, not for 95% of the time and not for street use. Hard not to believe that the GT3 Touring isn't just about as perfect as you can get, and I've driven one and I have a couple friends with them. But the premium is pretty substantial. I can get an amazing $60 Rib-Eye at Fleming's Steakhouse or I can get a $175 Porterhouse from Wolfgang Puck's Cut in Las Vegas. I'm not sure I get 3X the pleasure from the more expensive one ;-).

·
Registered
19,717 Posts
I'm really glad you mentioned this because I have a question on that. I looked up the H&R spacers and there is a kit for the 996 with 7mm front and 14mm rear spacers, plus new, longer lug bolts all-around. I actually ordered it and then cancelled because it looked like 14mm was going to be too wide for the rear once the car was lowered. So you used the 7mm on front and back? The question then is if the hub part of the rear still retains enough "lip" to hang/center the wheel on? With the 14mm, the spacer integrates a new hub lip as part of the spacer, but I assume the 7mm without the lip works fine on the back as-is?
The H&R spacers have a lip on them. Running 14mm on the front (7mm/side) is not an issue even with 19's in my experience. Running 28mm rear (14mm/side) on my buddies 996 with the 225/18 front and 295/18 rears.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
Yes, I should have clarified 7mm front. Rears are 14mm, which gets you pretty much perfectly aligned with the fender (and also within the specs of a narrow body GT3). I've had no issues with rubbing whatsoever, but the previous owner installed the suspension / spacers, so unfortunately I have no idea whether he had to modify anything for the clearance. I think you'll be fine with the 7mm/14mm setup, even with your suspension, unless you are running a wider than factory tire. My car is equipped with the Sport Design wheels (18x7.5 ET50, 18x10 ET65) w/ Michelin Pilot SS 225/40 front, 265/35 rears. I believe the specs on the Sport Designs are identical to the Sport Classic 2 wheels you have on your 996.
Thanks, that's excellent info! I will double check the offsets on my wheels vs yours. Also, the amount of drop is adjustable on the H&R coilovers, so if I run into an issue, I can raise it a tad. Yours looks great!

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
I think to a large degree the right Porsche depends on your expectations and previous automotive experiences. At the end of the day though, if you have GT3 money, why not get the GT3 experience?
You're right, it all depends on what you're had before (that's what "sets the bar"), what you expect from a car and what I always say: each car has to have a true purpose. Is it your daily? Your date-night car? Your track car? Your long road trip car? It's hard to get ONE car that does it all perfectly, so that's why so many car people like those on this forum have an extra car or two lying around with special purposes. So if your argument is that you buy the GT3 because you can afford it, I might counter with: instead you can buy a 997 Carrera S for $50K, plus a Macan Turbo for $50K for family hauling, plus a Lotus Exige for track for $60K. You're still at least $30K under a GT3 and $50K under a GT3 Touring, so take the fam on a Caribbean vacation, or buy a Jeep Wrangler for backroads adventures. You' still have some $ left over. The amount of "utility" that $200K can buy you, even if you have unlimited funds, is pretty amazing. Of course, nothing other than funds stopping you from doing all those things, plus the GT3, but it's all about opportunity cost at some point. What else can you do with that $?

·
Registered
'94 Corrado/ '07 997tt/ '18 GC SRT
28,185 Posts
You're right, it all depends on what you're had before (that's what "sets the bar"), what you expect from a car and what I always say: each car has to have a true purpose. Is it your daily? Your date-night car? Your track car? Your long road trip car? It's hard to get ONE car that does it all perfectly, so that's why so many car people like those on this forum have an extra car or two lying around with special purposes. So if your argument is that you buy the GT3 because you can afford it, I might counter with: instead you can buy a 997 Carrera S for $50K, plus a Macan Turbo for $50K for family hauling, plus a Lotus Exige for track for $60K. You're still at least $30K under a GT3 and $50K under a GT3 Touring, so take the fam on a Caribbean vacation, or buy a Jeep Wrangler for backroads adventures. You' still have some $ left over. The amount of "utility" that $200K can buy you, even if you have unlimited funds, is pretty amazing. Of course, nothing other than funds stopping you from doing all those things, plus the GT3, but it's all about opportunity cost at some point. What else can you do with that $?
While all of this is completely true, my response was taken more from the perspective of someone having all their other bases covered (other vehicles if that's a consideration, investments, vacations, etc). Basically someone saying they're ready for a 911 and they have X amount of money to spend once everything else is considered. Sure, sometimes that person in that position has other cars. Sometimes that person is looking to make the 911 a daily driver. Sometimes that person is looking for some combo of weekend fun car and/or track car. And the use case will often dictate which set of 911s make the most sense and which don't. But for someone saying that they A) want a 911 B) as an extra fun car C) with X amount of money, you're only limited by money. So that goes back to your expectations and previous experiences. I think if you're looking for more of a sports car experience in a modern 911 and can afford it, a GT car (new or used) makes a lot of sense. The great thing about 911s is that they've made them for so long and there seems to be both a similar DNA between them, but also some notable differences, that you can really hone in on the exact 911 experience you're looking for. For me, if money allowed, I'd start at GT3 and work my way back if I felt it was too much for my purposes. But even when you say "GT3" that could mean a bunch of different things: generation, transmission, regular vs RS. It seems like a great rabbit hole to go down.

·
Registered
16,112 Posts
Sorry I am late to this thread. Great car, Dave!

My uncle purchased an early 1999 Porsche Carrera with the factory Aero Kits (supposedly the first installed Aero Kit in the US -- but who knows how accurate that is) back in 1998. I had just turned 16, and I thought it was the coolest damn thing that I had ever driven. Your post brought back some memories. Enjoy it!

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
While all of this is completely true, my response was taken more from the perspective of someone having all their other bases covered (other vehicles if that's a consideration, investments, vacations, etc.
Yup, you’re absolutely right. With that, it’s hard to beat a GT3, so why not? As I said in another post, someday I hope to own a 991 GT3, just to scratch that itch. My wife would be happier driving in that. She’s still mad I sold the 930.

·
Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg
21,221 Posts
Totally agree with the point about driving them to see what speaks to you, since there's no consensus and the experience will differ for each person.

Aesthetically, I think the 964 Turbo is the best looking 911 ever created, but I've never driven one. Chris Harris mentioned it's one of the worst driving 911s though, for what it's worth.
Seems like Chris and I want different things out of the driving experience. My only Turbo 964 experience was in an S2, and it was insane. Almost as hard to drive as the old stuff, but a car you can get in and figure out somewhat quickly, and it wasn’t easy street like a 993 turbo is. It was an approachable challenge.

It’s great to have all of these options in that lineage as you can find what scratches your itch perfectly.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 · (Edited)
I added the H&R spacer kit (7mm front, 14mm rear, with new extended bolts).

The difference is subtle, particularly in front. I like the rear stance much better.

In the process, I could not be more impressed with the like-new condition of these 22 year old wheels. I feel like I’m just gonna mess them up ;-).

·
Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg
21,221 Posts
Your tail lights remind me of the high contrast red vs yellow my old 7 series has. A friend asked if I was going to do clear corners, which was totally period correct. I was like no. I like the goofy contrast, as that was OEM in period. Your 996 has even more plastic back there than my 7, and the contrast is greater. I love it.

As I get older, I finally understand that certain things are old enough to be cool.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Love the car. I have owned an ‘03 c2, an ‘07 987s and bought and kept a ‘10 997s. I drove a bunch of air cooled stuff along the way. Came very close to buying a g50 carrera, a 964, an rs America and a 993. Yet was always swayed by the water cooled stuff. They simply had more accessible performance. The 997 ended up being my sweet spot and I have little interest in the newer stuff. I probably sold my 996 too soon. Younger and flakier. My dad bought a 996 c4s a year ago and it is amazing. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
Love the car. I have owned an ‘03 c2, an ‘07 987s and bought and kept a ‘10 997s. I drove a bunch of air cooled stuff along the way. Came very close to buying a g50 carrera, a 964, an rs America and a 993. Yet was always swayed by the water cooled stuff. They simply had more accessible performance. The 997 ended up being my sweet spot and I have little interest in the newer stuff. I probably sold my 996 too soon. Younger and flakier. My dad bought a 996 c4s a year ago and it is amazing. Enjoy!
Thanks! I've gone through some of the same mental math as you have, tried lots of stuff, and I kind of agree that my sweet spot for driving pleasure is probably the 997 Turbo, 6 speed. But for pure this-is-a-deal and likely headed up in value, I find the N/A 996 Factory Aero to be the sweet spot for both driving fun and financial upside. With that said, If I had my perfect car, it would be a pre-1975 911 with an engine swapped 3.2L at 300HP or so, with electric A/C and heat, with Elephant Racing mid-aggressive suspension, dressed as an RSR in Signal Green. But that's a part of the market that is so crazy right now...

121 - 140 of 155 Posts