VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had this annoying hesitation with my engine, it would buckle and studder all the time. I was a few days away from putting it on sale. Then I decided to try something today. I figured that the most likely 3 parts that are causeing it are the MAF sensor, Throttle body, or the O2 sensor. This morning I removed the MAF sensor only to find that there was so much oil stuck on the walls and in the intake tube. I cleaned the MAF sensor and the Throttle body was next. When I saw this thing, it was "man, how did I drive it like this?" Everything was black with carbon buildup everywhere and when you open the throttle plate, it would crunch the carbon and have trouble opening. I used STP Throttle Body and Air Intake cleaner ($1.99) and all the carbon dissolved and it was nice and chrome. I start the car and the problems are gone!! No more hesitation, buckling...nothing. I still have yet to change my O2 sensor so I'll keep it up to date. The only thing that makes me upset is that the CEL is still on. But the car runs like new.
If you would like me to tell you how to clean everything Ill be happy to tell you, just IM me or e-mail me at [email protected]

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: And I was about to sell my Jetta.... (nikonratm)

Sure, I don't have any pics yet, but I will take some tommorow and I'll even post directions on how to do it also. I tell you, it's a lifesaver cleaning those things...

·
Registered
354 Posts
Re: And I was about to sell my Jetta.... (Stabbing101)

oooh, I'm getting happy just thinking about doing it myself...Yum. Thanks! Can't wait!
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

[Modified by nikonratm, 6:41 PM 8-5-2002]

·
Administrator
87,848 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]I had this annoying hesitation with my engine, it would buckle and studder all the time. I was a few days away from putting it on sale. Then I decided to try something today. I figured that the most likely 3 parts that are causeing it are the MAF sensor, Throttle body, or the O2 sensor. This morning I removed the MAF sensor only to find that there was so much oil stuck on the walls and in the intake tube. I cleaned the MAF sensor and the Throttle body was next. When I saw this thing, it was "man, how did I drive it like this?" Everything was black with carbon buildup everywhere and when you open the throttle plate, it would crunch the carbon and have trouble opening. I used STP Throttle Body and Air Intake cleaner ($1.99) and all the carbon dissolved and it was nice and chrome. I start the car and the problems are gone!! No more hesitation, buckling...nothing. I still have yet to change my O2 sensor so I'll keep it up to date. The only thing that makes me upset is that the CEL is still on. But the car runs like new.
If you would like me to tell you how to clean everything Ill be happy to tell you, just IM me or e-mail me at [email protected][HR][/HR]​
Congrats dude.
It's like having a new car...well, sortof.
Later,

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cleaning Throttle Body

These are instructions for cleaning your throttle body:
First disconnect the battery, then follow along with the pictures

DONE! now piece everything back together

[Modified by Stabbing101, 10:40 PM 8-5-2002]

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cleaning MAF sensor

Ok, I got the MAF sensor directions. Disconnect the battery follow along with the pics.

Pic of standalone MAF sensor

Inside of MAF sensor, mine was covered with oil

You can do two things, either get an electronic cleaner and spray the sensor then let dry or get 91% Isopropyl Alchohol and put it in a bag, fill it with alcohol, and swish it around a few times (May need 2 bottles)

Shake of excess and let drip

Let towel dry, or if in a hurry use blow dryer from far away...also make sure the connector is COMPLETELY DRY before installing

Hope it helped, any questions or if you want more pix, please IM me or e-mail me at [email protected]

[Modified by Stabbing101, 11:06 PM 8-5-2002]

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Re: Cleaning MAF sensor (Stabbing101)

Yeah, I don't see the pictures either, but am rather interested in doing this. My car is currently having the same problems you mentioned above, and I'm almost certain it's from excess oil from my intake.

·
Banned
10,500 Posts
Re: Cleaning MAF sensor (Gelly)

I had the CEL light on after I cleaned my throttle body, i think it was because some of the foam got into the emissions gear. what i did was drove around for awhile, shifting from first to third, then gassing it, so I was going 20 mph with the throttle wide open so that air is flowing through the engine. After all was cleaned out and blown through the engine, the next time i started my car the CEL light was gone.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Cleaning MAF sensor (Gelly)

Anyone else attempt it? Let me know how it works out. Were my pictures of any help?
I got to tell you, you should have seen my throttle body before cleaning.....now look at it, nice and chrome! btw, sorry about the pics, bad picture host

·
Registered
526 Posts
Re: Cleaning MAF sensor (Stabbing101)

I just got done cleaning out my throttle body, and I think it went OK. It is much cleaner now. I wanted to clean out the MAF, but I didn't see the part about rubbing alcohol. I might go out tonight to get some. I did discover a broken part in the process. I'm pretty sure I didnt break it just now because it was covered with oil on the cracked part. Maybe that is part of my problem. I'll post back after I take it for a spin.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Re: Cleaning MAF sensor (Black94GLX)

Well, I appreciate the how-to, I cleaned my throttle body, but I can't honestly say I notice a difference...hey, I feel a lot better
. Still glad I did it, thanks for the instructions. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: Cleaning MAF sensor (nikonratm)

Ok, I got the pics to work (used Yahoo! Photos) ......
- sorry that the cleaning didn't affect much, it helped me a lot and gave me impressive throttle response.....but try replacing the O2 sensor, thats what Im doing next
- You can also use an electronic cleaner (recommended) instead of rubbing alcohol, but I didnt have time to buy cleaner so I use alcohol.
Thanks guys!

BTW, what do you think about the instructions and pics I gave??? Good or bad?

[Modified by Stabbing101, 10:51 PM 8-5-2002]

·
Registered
9,287 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]I had this annoying hesitation with my engine, it would buckle and studder all the time. I was a few days away from putting it on sale. Then I decided to try something today. I figured that the most likely 3 parts that are causeing it are the MAF sensor, Throttle body, or the O2 sensor. This morning I removed the MAF sensor only to find that there was so much oil stuck on the walls and in the intake tube. I cleaned the MAF sensor and the Throttle body was next. When I saw this thing, it was "man, how did I drive it like this?" Everything was black with carbon buildup everywhere and when you open the throttle plate, it would crunch the carbon and have trouble opening. I used STP Throttle Body and Air Intake cleaner ($1.99) and all the carbon dissolved and it was nice and chrome. I start the car and the problems are gone!! No more hesitation, buckling...nothing. I still have yet to change my O2 sensor so I'll keep it up to date. The only thing that makes me upset is that the CEL is still on. But the car runs like new.[HR][/HR]​
This should be a permanent statement in the mk3 most frequently asked questions section. If we had one of course.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.