VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1997 VW Golf GTI DE; 2019 VW golf Alltrack
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So recently I managed to scoop up a little tid bit of fun in a 1990 GTX.
Aparently the car has a complete "votex" body kit, I've tried to located some information on this kit but it seems it's long gone off the webzterint

Can anyone give me an idea of what these are normally selling for? Trying to "value" the car and some of the items are hard to locate pricing on.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
So recently I managed to scoop up a little tid bit of fun in a 1990 GTX.
Aparently the car has a complete "votex" body kit, I've tried to located some information on this kit but it seems it's long gone off the webzterint

Can anyone give me an idea of what these are normally selling for? Trying to "value" the car and some of the items are hard to locate pricing on.
Very hard to value something like that. They aren't up for sale often. Plus what kind of condition is it in? Are you interested in selling it or are you just curious?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its complete and in great condition, has been painted alpine white
Body kit is Front, sidesskirts and rear bumper.

Its a fairly rare item then? I woould sell it if the right "offer" was made but not really looking to unload it yet.

·
Registered
635 Posts
You're going to make money regardless of what condition it is in.
No doubt. Full out kits, in box, nos, used, painted, broken, anything, they all catch a pretty penny. You could start a price high and someone would still come out of the shadows and pay it. Never know.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
it appears thats it's a full votex kit and includes a grille, quad rounds and upper and lower "eyebrows"

I'll get some good pics tomorrow when I am closer

looks like this but this is not an actual picture of the kit, just one from the interwebz I found.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So got the car home and it seems to be a 1990 jetta gtx DE by Hella.
Found out the bad news is that it has a salvage title and can't be licensed for road use :-(

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just going by what the previous owner told me.
his words were the guy tried to repair it himself and then tried to get it certified and the government wouldn't certify it for some reason.

I plan on looking into it a little more before dismantling it as its only got 146,000kms on it and zero rust, shame to destroy such a car.

10,945 Posts
just going by what the previous owner told me.
his words were the guy tried to repair it himself and then tried to get it certified and the government wouldn't certify it for some reason.

I plan on looking into it a little more before dismantling it as its only got 146,000kms on it and zero rust, shame to destroy such a car.

I wouldnt dismantle it honestly. Just fix it until it can get rego'd haha. :D

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Prolem with the deal is it has already been fixed by a previous owner, who either had it inspected and it failed or didn't get it inspected at all.

I bought it to swap onto my good shell but then it would be as neat as having a true number matching GTX.

·
Registered
20,571 Posts
Here in Cali it isn't difficult to reg a salvage car. All you need is a brake and light inspection, and if you source used parts from a auto wrecker you will need the VIN from each car you get parts from.
This is Cali's way of ensuring you are not putting back original parts from the salvage vehicle.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Prolem with the deal is it has already been fixed by a previous owner, who either had it inspected and it failed or didn't get it inspected at all.

I bought it to swap onto my good shell but then it would be as neat as having a true number matching GTX.
Here in pa it needs to pass an enhanced inspection. If the brakes and or tires or something similar doesn'y pass it fails. It can be structurally good to go but needs to be pretty much perfect. I would take it and have it inspected and see what they say it needs to pass. then go from there. I wouldn't just assume it won't pass.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Aparently where I am (BC) the car needs to be repaired and inspected throughout the repair process, basically making it almost useless and extremely time consuming to do yourself. Where if you just take it to a shop and have them bill your beaucoup de molia they will rubber stamp certain things.

I bought the car repaired and it was completed by "the friend of the formers owers step dads brother in laws cousin" type of deal.

I haven't really looked/found what the accident repairs were which will be the first step, after which deciding if saving it or scraping it is in order.

either way 90% of the car will live on though, if it's not repairable the majority of it will be swapped onto my other project and finished up.

I'm happy either way but would be more happy without having to spend 2 months swapping cars.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Actual car in question, parked at my shop.

Side badges near front door left part says "DE by HELLA" right "GTX"

There are no Recaros in the car other then the rear seat and it seems the dash has been abused a little bit with stereo equipment.
Car has tilt wheel, pwr windows and moon roof.

and 146,000kms(87k miles)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.