VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I normally wouldn't do something like this, but I am ticked off. I just stopped by Anderson VW in Crystal Lake, Illinois. I am debating either upgrading to a GLI or the Jetta 2.0T. A salesman greeted me out by the stock of new Jetta's all 2.5's. I asked if they had a 2.0T do take for a spin. He pointed to the gleaming red GLI on the side of the building. I asked if I could drive that one, he said sure let me grab the keys from the owner, he's been driving it a lot these days.
I went over to the gorgeous GLI and was peering in the window. The salesman came out and asked if I was going to buy it today. I honestly answered no. I explained I wanted to compare the GLI with the standard 2.0T. His response was the that "if you're not going to buy it today, the owner doesn't like people to drive the car." I looking stunned and befuddled then asked if I could at least sit in it. His response was, " the owner's in a meeting upstairs and he has the keys and unless you're going to buy it, he doesn't want people looking at it." I couldn't really comprehend what was happening. I told the salesman that I thought that was ridiculous and that he just lost any chance of a sale. I drove off in my GTI, turned up the music and though I'd post this to discourage anyone from giving that guy any business. What a tool.

· Registered
324 Posts
Re: (undeniable)

Sounds like to me the person (sales person) driving the car is not the owner of the car, and if not should have to actually pay for the car before he can say who can and cannot take a car for a test drive thats owned by the dealership. Thats just rediculous, I would have talked to a manager before you left to make the issue clear, I mean honestly who is going to buy a $26,000 car and not test drive it first, at least once before. I would never even consider buying a car before I test drove it. And not to be rude but honestly if you really wanted to test drive it you should have just lied and sayed "yeah im going to buy it" the just said screw you and left after the test drive. Unless you actually wanted to buy after the test drive. Thats just crazy to me!!!

· Registered
2,597 Posts
Re: Anderson VW in Crystal Lake, Illinois...BOOOO! (MoDaddy)

Quote, originally posted by MoDaddy »
I looking stunned and befuddled then asked if I could at least sit in it. His response was, " the owner's in a meeting upstairs and he has the keys and unless you're going to buy it, he doesn't want people looking at it."

By no means do I agree with how that went down,
but I would go back and remind the salesman that the car comes with 3 keys. It is not hard to grab one of the extra ones out of the books and manuals. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Granted the owner may have his personal stuff in the car, but they could have offered you a test drive later in the day once they had the chance to get it all out.
Not to mention... why is the only GLI a Demo??

· Registered
2,577 Posts

It's very interesting. Last year I wanted to drive an R32 sitting on a dealer's lot. I was told no! I was then told that since "I was asking about the R...I probably knew all about it and didn't need to drive it" I ended up driving 60 miles to another state and not only was I allowed to drive it...they knocked 2K off the sticker. We are asking to test drive cars...it' not like we're asking to screw there daughters!!

· Registered
1,448 Posts

The person who 'owned' that car actually doesn't OWN it!!
It's still a company car which is up for sale, and how do they ever imagine they're going to sell it unless people can see it and drive it!!
That just seems sooo thoughtless and detrimental to a business. I sell cars myself and can't even imagine what must be going through that salespersons head...

I would have told him: "YES, of course I'll buy it today!" and then after looking at the car, just get in your car and drive off. Unless he's got your credit card, what's he gonna do??

· Registered
2 Posts
Question: How often DO YOU hand your keys (let alone a NEW $28K automobile) over to strangers to joyride and beat on?
Still, the sales person needs more training to help you move from "just looking" to "buying NOW".

· Registered
2,597 Posts
Re: (pvance)

Quote, originally posted by pvance »
Question: How often DO YOU hand your keys (let alone a NEW $28K automobile) over to strangers to joyride and beat on?

I don't think MoDaddy has to worry about handing his keys over to strangers seeing that he is not a dealer.

And since when does the price of the car matter? Would it have mattered if the vehicle was only $22? Yeah there may be some exceptions, but ultimately If a customer wants to test drive a car, they should be able to. If the owner is driving it as their demo, then why not schedule a time for the customer to come back and drive it when it is available.
Still, the sales person needs more training to help you move from "just looking" to "buying NOW".

And where might he get that training from?

· Registered
1,938 Posts
Re: (pvance)

agreed.
i normally would stand on your side cause i too would be ticked off if someone did it to me.
but putting myself on the owner's shoe, i'd probably won't let someone take my car out for a beating. what if he/she wrecks smthg or gets into an accident.
hate to say this, sometimes you just gotta lie to get your way through. the next dealer you go to, act like you're ready to buy.

· Registered
201 Posts
Re: (USCVWFAN)

Quote, originally posted by USCVWFAN »

If the owner is driving it as their demo, then why not schedule a time for the customer to come back and drive it when it is available.

And that, my friend, is why you are successful!!!

· Registered
3 Posts
Hi, in response to the posting about the salesman not letting MODADDY driving the vehicle, First of all I'm a carsalesman and I know how this goes. We deal with a lot of different people everyday and you start to get a feel pretty quickly of how people are and what there to do and dont get me wrong I have sold 50k cars to people in ripped jeans in t-shirts. But this guy is obviously what we like to call in the car business a ''stroke'', let me explain. See we work just like eveybody else and have to feed our families like everybody else and when obvious stokes like this guy come around he's wasting our time where we could be making money and if were not selling to real customers were not making money and we starve. Now your saying to yourself ''self'' how the hell does this guy know "MODADDY'' is a stoke, well first of all he still calls himself ''MODADDY'' and we Volkswagen loyalists should take offense to this its because of this guy, we as car salesman, have to be careful who we let drive cars. Obviously if his best response to this situation was to walk away kicking and screaming like a little girl, I'm sorry ''drove away pissed with his music up'' whatever, he obviously doesnt deserve this fine piece of German engineering. Now as far as the other guy who said he was a car salesman and the owner doesn't actually own the vehicle I'll just simply say your either not a carsalesman or your a really stupid one or work for a half ass dealership because your owner phisically bought and owns every car on the lot.

· Registered
42,107 Posts
Mr. Conklin-
You aren't starting out on a good foot, here. You may want to reconsider your slams against perhaps one of the best salesmen that is selling the brand currently.
Paragraphs are your friend as well.
Mr. Conklin, were you in fact the salesman that confronted MODADDY when he arrived at your dealership? I get the feeling that you were.
Pretty sorry "defense post" if you ask me.

· Registered
682 Posts
Re: (jconk337)

Quote, originally posted by jconk337 »
Hi, in response to the posting about the salesman not letting MODADDY driving the vehicle, blah blah blah

http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
Something tells me that if he had an enjoyable testdrive in the GLI he would have came back to buy it, or something else. I'm not in the "car business" though. I buy old and busted dubs and think most people selling new school cars nowadays don't know ish about VW's or what it means to be a VW enthusiast.
Another example of the dealerships failing VWoA.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.