VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, as of tonite, my parents are now the proud owners of a 1997 Buick LeSabre Limited with all the toys (minus a CD player) purchased for basically exactly what Edmunds thinks the car is worth, and way less than Kelley's estimate. I'm not sure of the color, but looking at the list of colors Edmunds has, I think "Light Sandrift Metallic" or possibly "Light Driftwood Metallic" is the one.
I must say that apart from some minor wear on the steering wheel, and a spot on the carpet, the car is almost disgustingly clean. And I think I liked the rear seat more than I liked the front. Quite plush. My mom's workplace has a 2001-ish LeSabre Custom as a work car, and the cloth seats in that aren't nearly as comfy as the leater ones in this.
Pics to follow tommorrow.
I really think I need to ditch the Volvo in favor of a car like this. I've got the Datsun to pound my kidneys and deafen me and smack my noggin into the headliner...now I need to compliment that with a nice, big, cushy roadpillow.

· Banned
12,965 Posts
Re: Andy's parents buy old-people's car. (tehAndy)

I had the same thought when my dad bought his old person car (Lexus LS430)--so comfortable, soft and quiet. A stark comparison to my current rides to be sure!

· Registered
9,163 Posts
Re: (tehAndy)

roadmaster?

· Registered
3,167 Posts

Quote, originally posted by tehAndy »
There's a '94 Roadblaster (Roadbastard?) in the paper for $2500...supposedly a rust-free southern car...the gears in my head...they turn!

Those have LT1's standard IIRC, seen some pretty nice custom ones recently...

· Registered
99,796 Posts
Re: Andy's parents buy old-people's car. (tehAndy)

There is nothing wrong with wanting to be comfortable.
I just have a strong suspicion that most drivers here 9and on most car forums) would grow tired of a such a ride very quick. Comfort is great, but when every corner is an exercise in throttle and speed restraint to keep the car from flopping about, it does get old quick.

· Registered
1990 Chevrolet Hatchback
14,008 Posts
I had a few LeSabres as company cars, and they were great. What really impressed me was the mileage - one of mine routinely returned 30+ mph over the road. Nowadays, you can pick up a relatively low mileage one for super cheap. After the migration from the H to the G platform in 2000, it even became much more capable and buttoned down (in relative terms, of course).

· Registered
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Andy's parents buy old-people's car. (PlatinumGLS)

Quote, originally posted by PlatinumGLS »
What...no pics?!

Ask and ye shall receive.
BEHOLD THE SPLENDIFEROUSNESS!!

Kind of a silvery-beige.

I like the front aspect a lot more than I like the rear.

Side view. Some nice 90s roundy-round bubblecar action going on.

Old-school bench, and a very dated looking dash. I sorta like the passenger climate controls.

Lots of room.

What do we put the dead hooker estimate at?

People selling cars with dirty engines is a pet peeve of mine, but this one isn't as bad as the photo suggests.
Apart from the tach seemingly suffering from alzheimer's, nothing wrong to report, really. Yesterday the owner said he didn't know if he had saved many of his receipts, but today he handed us a stack of receipts that was an inch thick, not including oil changes. lol. All of them either to the dealer or to one local repair shop. All scheduled stuff done, which is good. I also have the window sticker from when the previous owner bought it with only 10k miles.

· Registered
5,286 Posts
Re:

Don't ever try and remove the steering wheel from one of those mid 90s grandma Buicks.
I had one at work one time and I tried to take the steering wheel off. It broke the center right out of it. Apparently the steering wheels are made of magnesium which is light but weak and crappy and they put a steel splined thing in the center so when you try and pull the steering wheel off the splined steel part stays and the magnesium breaks apart. What a piece of junk. They make special puller tools and we tried that and it broke the tool.
So basically if you ever have to mess with that you need a new $300 wheel.

· Registered
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll keep that in mind. I generally don't mess with steering wheels though. Thats something I farm out.
I've just been looking through the service records...looks like my one concern about the engine (plenum gaskets) has been addressed already, and everything else is up-to-date. Good.

· Banned
7,969 Posts
Re: Andy's parents buy old-people's car. (CarGuru916)

Quote, originally posted by CarGuru916 »

-Ryan

I rented one of those. Very nice. People thought it was an unmarked police car and moved out of the left lane as I was approaching them. Very cool side benefit.

· Registered
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I got to drive it for an actual meaningful distance for the first time tonight. First thing that happened was La Grange coming on the radio and me sticking my elbow out the window.
My impressions:
-Cushy ride, front struts are getting a bit too floaty though.
-Adequate power. The throttle is a bit strange. Its definitely tuned for not jerking people's necks. Its pretty easygoing until you drop the hammer, then the car will lunge forward.
-Very quiet compared to moms' Camry.
-VERY quiet compared to my Datsun

-Ergonomically, the dash works great. A bit dated otherwise.
-I don't like the steering wheel. Its too thin on the top and bottom, too thick on the sides.
-Handling isn't great, obviously, but very under control. Its not a wallowing roadwhale like...say...a '74 Regal or '71 Coupe Deville, but you're best off taking it easy

-Watching the big volume knob on the dash move while I hit the steering wheel volume buttons is kekeke-worthy. Like an 80s stereo with a remote.

· Registered
5,677 Posts

Quote, originally posted by tehAndy »
I'll keep that in mind. I generally don't mess with steering wheels though. Thats something I farm out.
I've just been looking through the service records...looks like my one concern about the engine (plenum gaskets) has been addressed already, and everything else is up-to-date. Good.

Did they actually replace the plenum or just recall for the throttle body gasket? Because it's the plenum that cracks and subsquently hydrolocks the motor. Also there's a recall on the fuel pressure regulator. Check to see if that was done as well.
Enjoy!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.