VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about picking up a 2005 V8 in my area which is quite reasonably priced and relatively low mileage (95k). I was wondering how much maintenance tends to be per year. The previous owner put in around 8k in maintenance over the past year and I'm scared that that's the norm. I'd love to hear everyone's experience - both how good it can get and how bad it can get.

·
Registered
92 Posts
2004 W12, purchased summer 2013, had 92K miles. Total repair cost (not including routine oil, filters, tires, brakes) has been $5,600 over the seven years. Of that the engine only accounted for a thermostat, secondary air hose repairs, a new coolant overflow tank, and MAFs all for less than $800. Current mileage 160K. During the run I had two separate years with zero problems. As the disclaimers always read, "Results May Vary".

Of course, Phaeton's aren't bought for low maintenance cost contests. I think the results have been reasonable.

Kim

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
There's no way to answer this question. I've spent very little on mine for several years, but over the 3 years I had an extended warranty it paid out $26k. On a 2005, the big risk is the transmission, but there are several smaller items that can cost a lot if you don't do the work yourself (ABS controller, vent flap motors, fuel pump, cam chain tensioner, oil cooler pipe, etc). I'd want to know, at the very least, when the transmission fluid was last changed, whether shifts correctly, whether all the flap motors work, and if the oil cooler pipe has been changed (because it's just a matter of time before that fails).

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
Ask what that $8K included. The car does have 95K miles so that probably covered stuff that wears out on every car.

If the $8K this year covered replacement of parts that wear out on every car, then you should be set for years.

For instance, the suspension and struts.

Replacing all of those with Genuine VW parts could eat up some serious cash.

If the owner replaced the suspension arms and the struts using Genuine VW parts, the suspension should be good for tens of thousands of miles.

You should also ask for the entire maintenance history.

It should have included the timing belt change around the 80K mile mark. If not then, then before now.

If the timing belt hasn't been changed, you should get that done right away. That's a bit pricy (over $1K) if the dealer does it. Search the forum for "V8 Timing Belt".

Tires can get a bit pricy but that's because they have to be 103 load rated.

I would check Consumer Reports and buy highly rated tires that are available with a 103 load rating.

Some popular tires are way down on the Consumer Reports lists.

I went thorough Tire Rack and bought some General G-Max AS-05 All Season tires that were the second highest rated by Consumer Reports in the Ultra High Performance category but were less expansive than the highest rated tires. The highest rated Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ had the same score. The Michelins had better wet braking and hydroplaning scores than the Generals but the Generals had better scores on ice breaking and noise. The Generals also had higher life expectancy (65K miles vs the Pilot Sport's 55K).

I haven't had the Generals mounted yet so I can't give seat of the pants results. They will go on refinished wheels. The Phaeton in storage hasn't moved

Costco only shows the Michelin X-Ice for Phaetons.

I have those on one of my Phaetons but they are winter tires.

They are great winter tires and seem to be OK on dry land also.

They were the top rated winter tires when I bought them.

·
Registered
25,724 Posts
If an unexpected several thousand repair bill scares you or bankrupts you- this isn’t the car for you.

They are extremely reliable given the vast amount of parts and tech in them- but can cost for parts, and especially labor if you can’t fix yourself.

They also aren’t something every shop can fix, and many times won’t be fast to get back on the road even with a great shop.

So - I would suggest if you have another car available if needed, or work from home, etc- but certainly at the very least you should have a little financial flexibility and patience is the biggie. You can always rent a car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.