VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright 1.8t'ers, time to shine again..
Im interested in anodizing a front mount intercooler, but want to know what possible side effects there are from doing this. Let's way out the pros and cons:
Pros:
- asthetically pleasing.
- slightly better protection from corrosion and abbrasion.
Cons:
- Reduces thermal transfer efficiancy.
- Possibly weakens the metalergic structure of the fins and core.
With a big enough front mount, the thermal transfer loss will be negligable (probalby less than 5% loss).. but what really bothers me is that the core can possibly be damaged by the chemical process of annodizing..
What are your thoughts??
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Checked the Search and found this :
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=421151
They go into some of the possible thermal coatings for turbos and exhaust in this post and mention trying to annodize the front mount, but noone has actually saiid they have done it.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Re: Anodized Intercooler (transient_analysis)

I've wondered the same thing. If and when I get fount mount IC I was going to see if you could do that just for the sleeper effect, or I was going to get dual side mounts. I really don't see why it could be that bad for the IC. If its 5% loss is it really going to make a big difference. I don't think so. Just my .02 cents But if anyone knows that would be great.
Thanks
Justind

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Anodized Intercooler (vwguy3)

Quote, originally posted by vwguy3 »
I've wondered the same thing. If and when I get fount mount IC I was going to see if you could do that just for the sleeper effect, or I was going to get dual side mounts. I really don't see why it could be that bad for the IC. If its 5% loss is it really going to make a big difference. I don't think so. Just my .02 cents But if anyone knows that would be great.

anyone have numbers?? or anything else factual??

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

oh.. and it's kinda hard to have the "sleeper" look if you have no face like nrml..
It looks really good in person and it BEGS to be played with when you see it in your rear view mirror.. assuming you can get in front of the thing

·
Registered
1,277 Posts

I have my custom made ICs anodised black.
The company that produced them for me (Forge Motorsport here in the UK) had been doing some testing to see if there were any differences in conductivivty between black and bare aluminium...there were none.
The corrosion resistance is one benefit..but I didn't want some polished monstrosity being on show...I wanted an externally factory look....hence the black finish.
FMIC:

SMIC:

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Re: Anodized Intercooler (speed51133!)

if you want a black IC, theres a product specifcally designed for it. i cant remember the name of it, but it was mentioned in an issue of SCC (i think, either that or 'turbo') a few months back. it was mentioned in an article essentially about keeping your highly modified car a 'sleeper'. i thought i still had the issue, but i dont, maybe someone else can drop a link to the product.

·
Registered
24,078 Posts
Re: Anodized Intercooler (gti415)

eastwood makes a radiator spray paint that works well. The other option is to have it ceramic coated. Or you can just spray paint it, but it will tend to chip, but it wont' affect effciency any amount you would notice, just use flat not gloss.
Also from what I have read anodizing INCREASES the effciency of aluminums ability to shed heat not decrease.
And I Agree those parts dont' look anodized in the pictures, but it just may be the lighting.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Re: Anodized Intercooler (speed51133!)

Quote, originally posted by speed51133! »
sure thats an annodised finish??
looks more like a powder coating to me.

I can assure you, it's anodised.

·
Banned
164 Posts
Re: Anodized Intercooler (Ess Three)

Garrett has done tests on using light coats of black on them. They have shown no less of flow. But, that is if you use LIGHT coats. Also, there is a company that makes a black coating for intercoolers. I will have to find out the name of the company. I ahve it somewhere. I just dont know where or how much it costs.

·
Banned
164 Posts
Re: Anodized Intercooler (GT300318)

hey, i found the website. Its swaintech.com. I wrote them to see what kind of price it was and if it dropped the effectiveness of the intercooler. I will post again when i hear back from them

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

so it sounds like doing different types of coatings is AOK for thermal efficency.. but what about any harmful effects from the whole anodizing process (ie rotting out thin sections of alluminum or whatnot)??
Thanks for your work on this subject guys

·
Registered
1,530 Posts

Quote, originally posted by GT300318 »
hey, i found the website. Its swaintech.com. I wrote them to see what kind of price it was and if it dropped the effectiveness of the intercooler. I will post again when i hear back from them

thats them, the product is called "stealth coat", comes in flat black and is said to improve thermal efficiency. theres a better little blurb in the SCC "evo orgy" issue on page 100 http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,127 Posts

Quote, originally posted by transient_analysis »
so it sounds like doing different types of coatings is AOK for thermal efficiency.. but what about any harmful effects from the whole anodizing process (ie rotting out thin sections of aluminum or whatnot)??
Thanks for your work on this subject guys

Please don't quote me on this I don't know all of the technical terms, but the anodizing process is running current thought the aluminum and puts a like a .02" to .03" thickness of harden shell around the piece of alum. If it does any thing for the aluminum piece is make it stronger. You can put a clear anodized finish on it if you want, It's just a dye that makes it different colors. Thats why I think that anodizing an IC wouldn't hurt it because its the metal changing colors. You aren't putting a layer of paint of coating over the metal. Anyone who is interested in this should look up some stuff on the Internet. I found out some good stuff and might weld up something for my house and anodize some of my own stuff at home.
Thanks
Justind

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote, originally posted by vwguy3 »
the anodizing process is running current thought the aluminum and puts a like a .02" to .03" thickness of harden shell around the piece of alum. If it does any thing for the aluminum piece is make it stronger. You can put a clear anodized finish on it if you want, It's just a dye that makes it different colors. Thats why I think that anodizing an IC wouldn't hurt it because its the metal changing colors. You aren't putting a layer of paint of coating over the metal.

I found some more stuff.. Here's a quick exerpt:
Quote »
The process of anodizing is rather simple. It consists of an anodizing solution typically made up of sulfuric acid. A cathode is connected to the negative terminal of a voltage source and placed in the solution. An aluminum component is connected to the positive terminal of the voltage source and also place in the solution. When the circuit is turned on the oxygen in the anodizing solution will be liberated from the water molecules and combine with the aluminum on the part forming an aluminum oxide coating.

I found that here : http://www.ihccorp.com/IHC-Anodize.htm
It's the acid part that scares me.. just because I don't want to weaken the welds on the intercooler and spring a boost leak..
Ultimately I think things will be fine though.. and annodizing is VERY cheap which makes me

·
Registered
4,572 Posts

well on power plants cant tell you which kind
we run anodized metals on a good portion of parts to prevent corrosion and it doesn't affect it but like 3.5% roughly is what some of the engineers have calculated as our heat transfer losses. And unless we are hitting the 700HP range we shouldn't feel the affects of the heat transfer coefficent being reduced by placing a protective coating (ie. anodizing the metal) very slim slim slim difference. Now i understand it is a risk since we aren't all made of money to risk something like this via sulfuric or other anodizing methods.
that's my .02 cents if you got any more questions let me know i can prove some of this with some good formulas

·
Registered
1,127 Posts

Quote, originally posted by transient_analysis »

I found some more stuff.. Here's a quick exerpt:
I found that here : http://www.ihccorp.com/IHC-Anodize.htm
It's the acid part that scares me.. just because I don't want to weaken the welds on the intercooler and spring a boost leak..
Ultimately I think things will be fine though.. and anodizing is VERY cheap which makes me

Didn't I say not to quote!!!! Just Kidding
It's great that someone researched this, because I knew a little about it. But figured that someone could find something. But since you quoted me its time to quote you,
"It's the acid part that scares me. Just because I don't want to weaken the welds on the intercooler and spring a boost leak.."
Being a welder/fabricator I can tell you and say that it is not going to effect the welds at all. I have TIG welded aluminum and had it pressure tested with no leaks. Don't worry about it.
Thanks
Justind

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

HA. now I can quote you back but I wont

Sounds like this is safe enough, and will be uber safe.. ROCK ON!
I guess as soon as I get my front mount, I'll be heading to a local annodizer with boxes full of goodies.. Gonna do my valve cover and intake while I'm at it.. wua hahah (along with other gunk)

·
Banned
7,500 Posts

what about:
Quote »
Most alloys are suitable for chromic anodizing. Exceptions would be high-silicone die-cast alloys and high-copper alloys. Basically, an alloy with more than 5% Cu, 7% Si, or 7.5% of alloying elements should not be used.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts