VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been researching this for a bit now but I havnt come to a solution...I just got done with my 1.8BT swap into my 83 Rabbit. I used the complete harness and ecu from a 5.9 motronic 99 passat. I dont have ABS, Or Airbags; so I would like to know if by using Vag com, such as the VCDS, I could delete the ABS system and the AIR bag system from the ecu so I do not have the lights on my guage cluster and avoid the annoying beeping?

I hopw this isnt a ridiculous question and some one can help out with a good procedure for this app.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Carl

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What kind of instrument cluster are you using? Is it also from a 99 Passat?

-Uwe-
Yes Uwe, that is correct. passat dash, passat instrument cluster, passat engine and sensors, passat engine harness ,ecu and 020 tranny. also using the passat blinker and wiper stocks on a modified rabbit steering column and the rabbit steering wheel.

Whew I think that covers it! Thanks for the help.

·
Vendor
5,317 Posts
Doesn't look good. Every Passat of that vintage had Airbags and ABS, and there don't appear to be any coding or adaptation values to tell the other modules that the car doesn't have these.

The default state of the airbag light in instrument cluster is ON, and a happy airbag controller turns it off. On newer cars, that's done via a CAN message, but yours doesn't have CAN. I can only find one wire between the airbag module and the instrument cluster; it should be white with a yellow tracer and goes to T32a/6 at the instrument cluster. Unfortunately, there's no documentation showing what a happy airbag control module does on that wire to tell the instrument cluster to turn off the warning light.

The situation is similar with the ABS module, except there are two wires; one yellow with a red tracer going to T32a/21 and one green going to T32b/11, but again, I have no idea what the ABS module does to tell the cluster that it's happy.

If you want to experiment, T32a is blue and T32b is green.

However, the easiest approach might be to take the cluster apart and snip out or de-solder the relevant lamps.

-Uwe-

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Uwe....thats not the ideal solution that I was hoping for but at least It gives me some GOOD info to go off of. Do you think a resistor or crossing wires over to ground might help make a "happy" air bag or abs light...?

Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.