VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
34,664 Posts
Re: another day another Pacifica flop news article (iLucifer)

As I have said before. Pacifica needs an additional 30-40 hp/torque, one extra seat and lower price tag to succeed.

·
Registered
8,673 Posts
Re: another day another Pacifica flop news article (A4Jetta)

edit - what i mean is that it is so large that adding another seat nearly makes it another SUV. and why make a vehicle that crams 7 ppl with so-so comfort when they can just start with a bigger vehicle?
maybe the pacifica would have worked better if it was a smaller car - somewhere near the murano's size.

Modified by maskedSONY at 1:06 PM 7-1-2003

·
Registered
34,664 Posts
Re: another day another Pacifica flop news article (maskedSONY)

Chrysler definitely needs a soft-roader to compete with Murano, Highlander and Pilot, an area where JGC competes in a more hardcore off-roader segment.

G

·

A soft-roader would be a good idea. As for the Pacifica, it's simply underpowered and overweight. While the sluggish performance of the Pacifica is acceptable in a minivan, it's not acceptable in the market Chrysler is targeting with this thing.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote, originally posted by A4Jetta »
As I have said before. Pacifica needs an additional 30-40 hp/torque, one extra seat and lower price tag to succeed.

The only thing Chysler could do to sell the Pacifica for the price they are asking is to drop the V10 in it

a station wagon with Viper like performance, for under 40K....now that would be sweet

·
Registered
10,396 Posts

I gotta tell you, I think a lot of manufacturers are building cars on the hopes of shaking up currently slow sales based on how much applause they get at car shows. In the mean time they don't even bother to do rudamentary market research like... oh I don't know... if ANYBODY WOULD EVEN BUY ONE? Pacifica, Marauder, Z4 (pratically stacked on top of each other at my dealer), Tbird, that weird Peugot, Phaeton, SSR, etc... All these cars that we all collectively gasp at on the Vortex, but nobody would drop $40,000 on even if it cam with a years supply of gas. Where are they getting the idea that these things are what people want?

·
Registered
2,081 Posts

Despite how many Pacificas it had, the local dealer wasn't trying to hard last night to sell one to us.
I went to see one with my wife, but we were completely ignored in an empty dealership. Nobody even greeted us.
It's an absolutely beautiful vehicle, and without driving it we liked it a lot. If I could get an AWD Pacifica decently equipped (leather, moonroof) for about $30k, especially if they could give their 0% financing, I'd be sold. I don't think they're willing to do that anytime soon.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: another day another Pacifica flop news article (GTIinfuture)

Quote, originally posted by GTIinfuture »
Despite how many Pacificas it had, the local dealer wasn't trying to hard last night to sell one to us.
I went to see one with my wife, but we were completely ignored in an empty dealership. Nobody even greeted us.
It's an absolutely beautiful vehicle, and without driving it we liked it a lot. If I could get an AWD Pacifica decently equipped (leather, moonroof) for about $30k, especially if they could give their 0% financing, I'd be sold. I don't think they're willing to do that anytime soon.

If I were you I would wait before I buy the Pacifica, the way sale are are headed you be getting 0% financing + thousands in the trunk by years end...

·
Registered
2,081 Posts

Quote, originally posted by iLucifer »

If I were you I would wait before I buy the Pacifica, the way sale are are headed you be getting 0% financing + thousands in the trunk by years end...

We're patient
. She's not quite ready to get rid of the Protege5 anyway. Although, give me an opportunity to get rid of my Civic....

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote, originally posted by GTIinfuture »

We're patient
. She's not quite ready to get rid of the Protege5 anyway. Although, give me an opportunity to get rid of my Civic....

Whoa from a civic to a pacifica....

·
Registered
2,081 Posts

The Civic was a cheap, reliable appliance to get myself on my feel while I got my business started. Things are going okay now, so I'm ready for something that's a little smoother, more quiet, and won't hurt my back if I'm in my car for more than 8hrs a day like the Civic does.
The Pacifica (or other largish vehicle we may decide on) isn't for me, it's for my wife so we have a little more room if we decide to have kids soon, and to haul things that come up often now that we have a house.
I'm looking for something different, maybe not as roomy as I needed before (possibly a WRX, etc). The idea is that on the regular days, I take my car, but when I need to haul around customers and sales managers, I take the bigger car. I can't exactly pick up my customers in a bright yellow wagon

·
Registered
2,958 Posts

Quote, originally posted by A4Jetta »

Where do u propose they put that extra seat? On the roof?

·
Registered
565 Posts

I just moved from our Chrysler store to our Ford store, so I can say this now. The sales of the Pacifica have been dismal, at best. We received our first Pacifica in March. This was a few weeks earlier than the official launch held by Chrysler on April 1st to all the dealerships in the S.F. zone. It is still on the lot. I believe that to date, we have only sold 3 Pacificas and have over 20 on the lot.
They are very well done. One of the safest cars on the road. The only one to have all 3 row side airbags (not available on any other vehicle, even as an option). It meets German safety requirements to be able to withstand a rear impact at standstill by a similar sized vehicle traveling 50mph and not affect the gas tank or the third row safety.
It is, by far, the best Chrysler built to date, not counting the Crossfire since that's really a Mercedes.
I do agree it is underpowered. It is using the 300M engine and it's taxing in that car. I really think it should have the Jeep's 4.7L V8, but then, I think it would change the image of it.
Perhaps for the better. I think people would stop thinking of it as another minivan when there is NOTHING shared with a van.
Since the Pacifica is built in Canada in the same plant as the Town & Country and Voyager, the game plan is to phase out the Voyager in order to upscale the brand image. This would leave the Caravan (not Grand) as DC's only entry level van. This reduction would increase Pacifica units.
We have had a FWD Pacifica on sale for $25,988 and it is still there.
I won't say which dealership, but I only travel 1 1/2 miles to work. You can figure it out

Next year you will see a new car come to the market. It's the Chrysler 300. The current 300M and Concord are phased out and production ends in August. All orders must be placed during this month (I believe). That is why DC has an early 2004 model line up.
The Chrysler 300 will have 3 trim levels. This way DC can market just one car and not two. That is why they got rid of the LHS. Why advertise twice for the same car (Concord)? The 300 will start of with a 2.7 V6 then the 3.5 V6, and for the 300C, Chrysler will FINALLY have a V8 in the HEMI.
They made all the models built after Feb 2004's to flod the market so they can begin the next models for next year. That means the 300M, Concord, Sebring Sedan and Convertible (not Coupe, since that is a Mitsubishi Eclipse) will be changed. Sebrings will all be Mitsubishi based. I believe the Galant for the Sedan and Eclipse for the Coupe and Convertible.
Jeep is also changing the Grand Cherokee for next year. Look for a third row and a HEMI. No news on the Wrangler, but I believe it's going to get a body redesign and a replacement for the I6 using the Liberty's 3.7 V6.

·
Registered
618 Posts

It's sad really. As far as mommy mobiles go the Pacifica is a really pretty one. Sucks that they don't sell. They shoulda made it an option to either get it with the suv/sedan style doors or the sliding minivan doors, and maybe make it low to the ground. That might have been really expensive, but I doubt it would've been that much more than notch and hatch back versions of the same car. Anyways, my reasoning behind this is the fact that the Oddysey and Sienna are selling like crazy and the Pacifica seems alot more like those two than Town and Country or Voyager. Chrysler's also the

·
Registered
8,049 Posts

Quote »

Detroit Insider

AUBURN HILLS -- The Chrysler Pacifica, the upscale crossover wagon that hit showrooms earlier this year, is showing signs of life after a slow start.
Chrysler will report today that it sold about 5,000 Pacificas in June, or about twice May sales of 2,471.
Though the Pacifica earned praise for its stylish design, interior comfort and innovative features, some potential customers have balked at the price and lease rates.
Well-equipped models can cost more than $40,000. Some less-equipped versions -- starting at about $31,000 -- have reached dealer lots.
Chrysler expects to get a sales boost later this summer when it introduces stripped-down version of the Pacifica that will retail for less than $30,000.
The automaker needs to sell about 8,000 Pacificas per month on average to reach its goal of selling 60,000 Pacificas this year and 100,000 per year thereafter.
"It was slow starting but all of a sudden it seems to be catching on," said Jerry Bowman, a dealer in Asheboro, N.C.

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
Re: another day another Pacifica flop news article (spidy)

Detroit Insider was right. Pacifica sold 6K units this month.
http://www.theautochannel.com/....html
Check out the crossfire sales.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Re: another day another Pacifica flop news article (WSTRLNG)

Quote, originally posted by WSTRLNG »
I really think it should have the Jeep's 4.7L V8, but then, I think it would change the image of it.

I think you misspelled HEMI!

I think I'd gladly pay an extra $5k for that!
Good notes on the Pacifica. It really does feel high-quality. You can definitely see the Benz influence there. Put this up to a Murano, which is priced similarly, and you'll see the quality difference.
I do like the Murano too, though.

·
Registered
268 Posts

I saw a review of this car a few weeks ago. The big problem was that you could not fit five people and their stuff in this thing. The seating was a major drawback, not to mention price.
I have not seen a Crossfire on any lots out here as yet, it will a good idea not to bring it to Canada. I am not sure there more than a handfull of people with money to burn.....it is over $ 50,000.00CDN.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Re: another day another Pacifica flop news article (WSTRLNG)

Quote, originally posted by WSTRLNG »
One of the safest cars on the road. The only one to have all 3 row side airbags (not available on any other vehicle, even as an option).

Volvo X90 has 3rd row side curtain airbags STANDARD.......

1 - 20 of 29 Posts