VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says, its another one of these threads :laugh: I'm 21 years of age, and I've owned the car for about a month an a half now. This thread isn't more so of a build, but a log thread of stuff that I will be doing through the year(s) to the car. Figured since I made one in the R32 section, might as well make one in the emkayfour section as well.

I spent the last two years with a 2L MK3 that was bagged. Going from 4cyl 2L 8v car to the R32 was a remarkable difference. I've always had a soft spot for MK4's, but never really had the urge to buy one unless it was a GLI, or a R32. Ounce I saw the posting on craigslist for the car, I knew I needed to save it. The guy who owned it didn't fancy in taking care of his cars. The first time I went out to check it, he had told me that he was mostly into lifted trucks, and randomly decided to buy a R32. After a few days I decided to buy the car. We went out to his house to do a compression test, and put it on a lift. Shortly after the check was signed. When I got it home I started the clean up. The engine bay was brown, the car smelled of hay, and it was filthy. I spent about 6 hours that day detailing it, and it still wasn't to my desired clean. That night I started ordering random stuff the car needed. It came with one DBP mirror, and one primed mirror, no hood lift, only one trunk lift.

Said MK3..

.:R as of 1/12/12

The car came with stock golf tails... That wasn't happening in my book, so I made a set of tails of my own ;D

After waiting a few weeks I got some goodies, Cupra R Seat Lip, Yellow highbeams, and chrome mirror caps...

1/19/12

After taking that picture I noticed that there was something off about the car. The hood alignment is off. After tweaking with it, I am positive that the hood is bent. :facepalm:

On the way to a get together, I managed to run over a "ball" of snow/ice, the size of a basketball... I was changing lanes, checking my blind spot, when I turned my head back around to see this ball of snow/ice 10 feet in front of the car. I saw the whole thing in slow motion, as I flexed my butt cheeks, praying to the car gods that nothing goes wrong.... ThumpThump Plewshhshhshs... I turned the radio down to hear if anything was making any weird noises. Nothing seemed to be wrong... until... I looked over at my dear friends, Tim & Michelle, with their "O SH!T" faces on, staring at the front of my bumper. At that moment I knew something had to of been messed up. So I kept driving until we reached the GTG, parked the car, and check it out... This is what I saw...

The quick fix :laugh::thumbup:

After going to VW to get a quote, they figured it would cost $1,700 give or take. All said and done it cost about 2,300. I had to pay a whole 200 of it :thumbup::beer:

Before I let VW take it I did one more wash/wax. I noticed how disgusting the exhuast tips were, so I attacked those with some mothers.

Also got a set of Fk HighSport Coilovers.

This is where the car sits as of today...

As far as future mods, I think I'll be doing amber side markers/turn signals, and I'll be running these...

:wave::heart:

·
Registered
445 Posts
I love everything about this car. :)

And this made me laugh...."as I flexed my butt cheeks, praying that nothing goes wrong.... ThumpThump Plewshhshhshs... I was making weird noises. Nothing seemed to be wrong... until... I looked over at my friend, Tim. "O SH!T." At that moment I knew something had to of been messed up."
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you "clinched your butt cheeks" before you hit the ice ball? that made me laugh :laugh:
:thumbup::thumbup::laugh:

I love everything about this car. :)

And this made me laugh...."as I flexed my butt cheeks, praying that nothing goes wrong.... ThumpThump Plewshhshhshs... I was making weird noises. Nothing seemed to be wrong... until... I looked over at my friend, Tim. "O SH!T." At that moment I knew something had to of been messed up."
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Thanks man! Twas getting ready for impact :laugh:

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
sucks about the ice. would have been a perfect opportunity go get a euro bumper tho. either way, nice cars
Yea I was pretty bummed out. I had only owned the car for about 3 weeks at that point! But with the new bumper, and paint its :thumbup::thumbup:

Damn. Car looks phenomenal :thumbup::thumbup:
Thanks! :thumbup::thumbup::beer:

like where your goin with it. I liked your mk3, good choice on the switch tho :thumbup:
Yea, I had a good idea what I was going to do with a Mk4, before I bought this.

Exact car I would choose if I was buying another mk4. I'm so jealous :beer:
Haha, :thumbup::beer:

Nice little build :thumbup::thumbup:
More to come! Just waiting for stuff to arrive. :thumbup:

those mercs :eek:
Just waiting for adapters, then they should be on. I was iffy buying them, but ounce I put them on the car and stood back, they're going to look really good IMO.

love your mk3, looks like the R is in good hands, good luck with it
Thanks, and yes it is :laugh::thumbup:

MarkIII :thumbup::thumbup: .:R32 :heart:

:thumbup::beer:
:thumbup::thumbup::beer::cool:

MK3 is seriously amazing:thumbup:
im dying to see the R with those wheels :eek:
and welcome to the emkayfour forum:wave:
Thanks for the welcome :thumbup: Yea I cant wait to get the adapters and get them suckers on :thumbup:

really like your MKIII
R is nice too :thumbup::thumbup:
:thumbup::beer:

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
So a lil update... I got the adapters for the Mercedes wheels, and got them mounted today. The specs are 18x8 et18, 18x9 et 18. Unfortunately I ran into a little issue that I over looked. My plan was to run the tires I had on the Aristo's for the spring time, which are 225/40's. Ounce summer was to roll around I was going to purchase new tires. After getting the wheels mounted up, we dropped the car and the rear was sitting absolutely perfect! The front on the other hand was not to my liking. So I ordered 205/40's for the front. Ounce the new tires come in, I will roll my fenders and actually lower this pig :thumbup:

Mexi poke :thumbdown::facepalm:

:wave:

Another shot...

1 - 20 of 125 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.