VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I searched around after messing with my car today. I'm alittle confused, threads say I need a 45 degree elbow in a 3" pipe between my throttle body and airbox. but I test fit a straight pipe between there today and it seemed to work fine. does this put to much stress on the rubber boot on the throttle body? Also when I removed the stock tube that runs between the two, there was an oily coating on the inside, what causes this? thanks in advance

oh yeah, its a 8v if it matters

Modified by 4doorhoor at 11:35 AM 4-24-2006

·
Registered
14,303 Posts
Re: another intakey question (4doorhoor)

Quote, originally posted by 4doorhoor »
but I test fit a straight pipe between there today and it seemed to work fine. does this put to much stress on the rubber boot on the throttle body? Also when I removed the stock tube that runs between the two, there was an oily coating on the inside, what causes this?

You should be OK with a straight tube. Just keep an eye on the throttle body rubber boot and the large rubber boot over the Air Sensor Plate assembly for any cracking of old rubber.
The oily residual inside the stock tube is due to compression blowby pass the piston rings, resulting in a higher crankcase pressure.
The crankcase pressure is vented by the valve cover. A rubber hose is connected between the valve cover and the lower air filter box.
As the crankcase pressure is vented, an oily mist can occur. This oil will collect on the bottom of the air filter, the bottom of the Air Sensor Plate, inside the large rubber boot over the Air Sensor Plate, inside the factory air tube, and inside of the throttle body.
While you are at it, you should clean all of above components.
Cheers, WWR.

·
Registered
14,303 Posts
Re: another intakey question (4doorhoor)

If you clean everything and then get a fairly fast oily residual again, you might want to do a compression test to determine the condition of the rings and cylinder walls.
The one area where the oily buildup hurts the worse is the bottom of the Air Sensor Plate. Any minor weight on the plate may have any affect on the lifting of the plate by the airflow.
Cheers, WWR.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: another intakey question (WackyWabbitRacer)

yeah that makes sense about the air sensor plate. I have been having trouble with mixtures and timing, maybe thats why. I will clean it all up and let you all know if it seems to get a better flow.......thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.