VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I have/am selling my 99 Nissan Altima for a GTI. I test drove the new 20th and OH MY GOD (but like i need to tell you guys...) anyways...i was on altimas.net for any help or questions thati had about my car. So i figured you guys would know the best about GTI's
. Im in Colorado so elevation has made me choose the 1.8T but i was just posting to see if there is anything i should check or know before purchasing a new GTI? Once again, just saying "HI im the new guy" and soon hope to be driving my GTI (if i can ever sell my frikin car
"

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
Re: Another New Guy, wanting to buy a GTI (AudioTech)

Welcome to the Vortex http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Great decision, going from the Altima to the GTi

·
Registered
997 Posts
Re: Another New Guy, wanting to buy a GTI (jahciple)

you will hear over and over again here about the issues the MKIV Golfs have: MAF, Coilpack, window regulators, O2 sensors, rattles, etc.
i would say that from my VW experience you will see the dealership more than a honda or nissan or toyota owner would.
i have owned my MKIV GTi VR6 for 4 months( i bought it used, it's a 2000) and have had all the above problems....but, i love the heck out of the car and recommend it to the enthusiast. the casual buyer might just grow tired of these irritations quickly and start hating VWs.
i on the other hand have owned many very finnicky vehicles over the years and take it all with a grain of salt (i have lost my temper a few times since buying the car, but heh, whatever).
The GTi is wicked but needs suspension mods right away if you want to drive aggresively and not feel like you are going to flip over.
chipping the 1.8 is widely done and a good idea. i don't know much, but i would have to say you altima would be less of a headache but also less fun.
all my opinions are free for a reason.
good luck. drive one by the way. drive a few, for that matter. the VR6 is amazing but i hear altitude is a factor for you. but still, vr6 with an aftermarket exhaust is one hell of a beautiful sound.
take care and good luck,
michael

Modified by dogbunny at 9:47 PM 7-2-2003

·
Registered
45,140 Posts
Re: Another New Guy, wanting to buy a GTI (dogbunny)

good decision... i say for for it... you cant go wrong with either one.... the stock sport suspension is a must if you dont plan on upgrading the susp though...
Check out the mk4 forum (did i just say that...
) or the technical sections of this site.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all, I just got back from the dealership, test drove another 20thAE Man are they sweet. But alas, I can't trade my car for as much as i owe on it and I don't want to go into this car w/ negative equity. Know what i mean? Thanks dogbunny, for all the comments and "warnings" i should say. As long as my car is under warranty I wouldn't mind a problem or three. I forgot to mention, and i know this is a long shot, but I am offering $200 to anybody who can sell my car for me. You can email me [email protected] if you would like details. It is a very modified (both cosmetically and performance) 1999 Nissan Altima. Thanks fellas. I hope to be ACTUALLY a part of the 'tex here in the next month or so.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Re: (AudioTech)

no problem. you will get more selling it yourself. they generally jack you at the dealership.
people want your type of car so be patient. it'll work out.
later. good luck.
michael
ps: there is a book available about how to negotiate a new/used car sale. i highly highly recommend it. it gives you a good understanding of all the ways the dealer will try to make you pay more.
i can't remember the name, but there aren't many books on this topic so it should be easy to find. they recommend not trading your car by the way.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hmm...I'll look into that. Its a book about how to buy or sell? Either way it sounds like a good investment.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Re: (AudioTech)

it actually handles both ends. it is most instructive though on the buying end. you probably have a pretty good sense of how to sell i would guess. if not, they cover it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts