VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know the story...
Didn't see the dip, oil pan suffered as a result....

So the question is...
Should I get a steel reinforced oil pan or an aluminum one with a skid plate?
I searched and the steel one I found doesn't have a hole for the oil level sensor but it is only like $10 more than the original aluminum one. But, the aluminum one + a skidplate would run me around $400 because the skid plate is $300

So is it worth the money to get the aluminum one (with a hole for the sensor) with a skidplate or should I just get the steel reinforced one?
Also, are there reinforced ones that have the sensor hole, because I would much rather get that, especially if it's cheaper than the skidplate option....
OK Thanx for your time...

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanx for the idea, I checked it out but does it have a hole for the oil sensor??? it doesn't say...

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nother pic...

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Re: (Nevaeh_Speed)

get a skidplate for sure. i busted my oilpan about a year ago and after replacing it i just bit the bullet and bought a dieselgeek skidplate. i cannot tell you how much weight it has taken off my shoulders and how it has saved my ass many many times.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Re: (They_Call_Me_Bob)

been there bro ( http://i126.photobucket.com/al...48301 ).. look into the hybrid, everyone told me about it after i got a new one. but i ended up getting a diesal geek skidplate (put it on in a freakin rain storm last night.. big ups to dave *esoteric vue for laying in a stream of road water to get that effing thing on)... but anyway, i def feel better about driving around now with it on.
invest in it, regardless of what oilpan you get.

·
Registered
14,104 Posts
dont forget, vw's are lower then most north american cars anyway haha.
i got those steel ramps for oil changes, the normal deisng works well with my van, but the jetta cant go onto them w/o ramps. so i bought "extensions" for cars that are "lower" and the jetta STILL cant get on them w/o breaking the bumper. so i just mounted the ramps differently untill it worked.

·
Registered
11,805 Posts
Re: Another Oil Pan Destroyed.... (fastgermancar)

What's it like doing an oil change with a skid plate? Sure they cut a hole for the oil pan drain, but you'd still have to remove the skid plate to get to the oil filter...

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Re: Another Oil Pan Destroyed.... (bootymac)

Quote, originally posted by bootymac »
What's it like doing an oil change with a skid plate? Sure they cut a hole for the oil pan drain, but you'd still have to remove the skid plate to get to the oil filter...

you cut a hole for the filter too.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.