VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
07 B6 Wagon 2.0T 6MT / 07 5Door GTI DSG
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's what I've been working on for the past few montsh. Got her running today so I figured I'd unveil her to you guys.
1984 Rabbit GTI
1.8L PG Block, mk3 xflow head, custom intake mani, ABA TB, custom air/water IC, Garrett turbo, digi-1 management.
Engine was built previously by Autobahn, I worked on piping the IC, fitting mechanicals like linkage and throttle etc, and redoing the ECM wiring. Car is far from done as a whole, but my job is nearly finished.
New Digi-1 mk1 harness (ECU power relay on the right, o2 sensor and whatnot through the mk1 connector on the left.)

Gettin' messy fillin up the intercooler and the rad. Used a mk1 jetta rad with built-in reservoir, so I could use the original reservoir for the air/water system. Using a VR6 aux pump for flow.

The intercooler took up a huge chunk of space, so for simplicity I opted to go with a drycell instead of relocating the battery to the trunk. Makes it easier to tech for the local racetrack, as you don't have to have an external kill switch.

From what I can remember, the rabbit this car was in previously ran low 13's high 12's. I'm not sure exactly what the turbo trim is, but its either a 14B or 16G. Either way, it makes boost and spools damn fast. I was revving her to warm her up, and the co-pot wasn't bolted in place yet, hit boost and blew the damn thing off into my face.
Can't wait to drive this nutty little car. Going to have to use zipties to hold the doors closed haha.

· Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Another project nearly done. (ValveCoverGasket)

Honestly I have no idea. I just wired it, the engine was already setup from before. The injectors are yellow topped...fpr has no info on it. It was damn fast in the previous car, and it revs like nuts clean right now, so it feels/sounds like its pretty well tuned.

· Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Another project nearly done. (Random Orbit)

Another update. Working on getting the vacumn lines finished, put the new ignition switch in. Discovered afterwards that you don't need to remove the column to swap ignitions. Duh. Cost $100 to rekey and get 3 new keys made. Damn moron theives. If only they knew how easy a rabbit is to hotwire!

· Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Another project nearly done. (SuperChicken13)

Figured I'd post this here incase anyone else is curious how to get digi to work with an ABA throttlebody.
Q: What throttle body are you using on your rabbit with digi1?
A: obd1 ABA. PITA to setup, since it doesnt have idle or WOT switches.
Q: Could you elaborate on how you got that to work with digi?
A: Haha, to be honest, I haven't yet. I'm still working on the switches, but I've got a VR6 automatic throttle cable, has a pressure switch in the firewall end of the cable so when the inner cable stretches is closes the switch. spliced that into the digi-1 TPS harness. for idle, i'm just going to mount a microswitch on the back of the throttle arm and splice that in as well. the TPS switches are just standard SPST switches, so it's relatively simple to replicate. Fabricating the bracket to pre-tension the throttlecable and hold the idle switch in place is going to be the hardest part. I'll post some pics of the TB setup once I get it figured out. That's my last major hurdle to getting the damn thing to idle. Without the idle switch, the ISV won't kick in. I have to constantly bounce the throttle all over the place to keep her running until she gets hot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.