VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that have the phone button on the steering wheel, like me, I've been researching how to get it to work. Of course, the dealears are clueless about it still. Some of the A3's are now coming with it already installed and functional, although my local Audi dealer isn't aware of it. For factory installed A3, refer to this thread.
I'm convinced we can get it to work, since it's on the A3 (shared platform). Whether or not the same p/n's can be used in another question. However, I've also stumbled across this thread, thanks to a friend who has a B7 A4 who's sick of waiting on our local dealer as well.
I know the second thread lists Audi p/n's, but I don't see whey they wouldn't work with the MKV, and imagine it's at least the same that would be used on an A3.
I actually find it odd that no one has looked into this more than aftermarket kits in this forum. Especially with all the tech savvy folks that worked on the LED tails, and Mr. CrssEyed with his car PC.

I'm going to bring these p/n's by my VW dealer and see if they come up with anything, as this is one of those little cool features that the car appears to have that was just another little push to buy the car. I know my friend with the B7 is even more fed up, as he's had his car since May and had in the sale the addition of Bluetooth as soon as it became available. Here we are now with it coming on some A3's, yet most dealers have no idea it's even available already.
C'mon techie's (I'm included in that statement)! Any thoughts?

·
Registered
997 Posts
Re: Another Tech MKV Project? (VWYankee)

I'd still love to know what the telephone prep is on the 06 2.0T pkg 3. I don't understand how VW could release a phone prep kit and not know what it does. I'd think something might be able to be done with that kit, but the buttons on cars without the phone prep kit I have a feeling are just dead buttons.

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
I don't think my phone is bluetooth-enabled, anyway.

I'd be tempted to acquire a bluetooth phone should this be a relatively easy thing to do.
What are we talking pricewise on the parts that you think may work?

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (BRM10984)

Quote, originally posted by BRM10984 »
I don't think my phone is bluetooth-enabled, anyway.

I'd be tempted to acquire a bluetooth phone should this be a relatively easy thing to do.
What are we talking pricewise on the parts that you think may work?

Around a few hundred bucks for the parts, maybe less. *edit* The second thread I listed at the end was saying $600-800... Oops. I'm not going to go for it at that cost, but I'll still look into it (and ways to find the parts cheaper).

Quote, originally posted by gsantarelli1 »

I'd still love to know what the telephone prep is on the 06 2.0T pkg 3. I don't understand how VW could release a phone prep kit and not know what it does. I'd think something might be able to be done with that kit, but the buttons on cars without the phone prep kit I have a feeling are just dead buttons.

The phone prep kit is very lame, IMO, as there's no need for a holster that's so bulky... My guess is the phone buttons on the steering wheels (those that have them) are about as dead as a wire existing for a rear fog. Yes, I'm saying I'm putting money that it's simply something that needs to be enabled with a VAG-COM.
This is taken from the Audi A4 post (coding value choices):
Quote »

x?xxx: type (Steeringwheel)
0 - non multifunction steering wheel
1 - standard steering wheel
2 - modular steering wheel

Modified by VWYankee at 10:35 AM 12-7-2005

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Modular? That would be the wheel with phone buttons?

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (BRM10984)

Quote, originally posted by BRM10984 »
Modular? That would be the wheel with phone buttons?

Yes, as some wheels have only a few controls and some have a lot. It makes sense to simply have one setting that recognizes it's a "function" steering wheel. I probably should've quoted this instead. There are more settings, but just showing that all of these are listed under phone settings, not just a general settings module.
Quote »

# 77 (Phone)
Coding - Function 07
HU = Head Unit (i.e. RNS-D/E)
MFL = Multifunction Steeringwheel
?xxxx: type (car)
0 - with CAN-bus (A2, A3, TT)
1 - D3/C6 High-System
2 - C6 Standard-System
x?xxx: type (Steeringwheel)
0 - non multifunction steering wheel
1 - standard steering wheel
2 - modular steering wheel
xx?xx: installed components
1 - none
2 - MFL
3 - HU
4 - MFL and HU
5 - K-line
6 - MFK and K-line
7 - HU and K-line
8 - MFL, HU and K-line

*edit*
Also, I'm not sure if the poster is including the cost of the VAG-COM in that, as he does list it as one of the things in there you'll need to buy. So, it may be that it can be done for a few hundred if you have access to a VAG-COM.

Modified by VWYankee at 10:52 AM 12-7-2005

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (gsantarelli1)

Quote, originally posted by gsantarelli1 »
I don't get how a phone attaches to that holder. Where does the phone plug in?

Yeah, I don't get it either... What I'm referring to has nothing to do with a phone holder.

·
Registered
7,769 Posts

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (06DeepBlack)

Quote, originally posted by 06DeepBlack »
You guys remember the topic on almost the same thing a while back
What is needed to get the phone button working.
Maybe with Audi's bluetooth wiring kit, get it to work in our Dubs?

The key to that post is "almost the same thing"... That post wasn't talking about getting the phone button to work. What I'm pointing to does (at least with the Audi A3/A4. It's even more frustrating that A3's can be had now with it factory installed (see first thread I linked to in original post).
Today I went by both the Audi and VW dealers and gave them the part numbers to look up. Both could order the parts. In the second link I referenced there are 4 parts with 3 Audi p/n's. The 4th part is gotten aftermarket (it's basically just a connection wire). I talked to a tech at VW and he didn't see why it wouldn't work.
However, with all that said... the cost of the three Audi parts was over $800. I asked my VW parts guy what the dealer cost would be, and it would still be close to $500 for the three parts. So, even if I were able to get them at cost (which I can't) it's still way too much for just getting a few features work with the car instead of my Bluetooth headset I already use.
I'm not going to look into it further, but I will check up on it as time goes on. Since it's a technology thing, I'm hoping we might see the same thing as what happened with the Phat Noise. They originally were over $800, but can be gotten for just over $100 just a couple years later. High hopes, I know... Oh well. I guess the only other hope is VW gets on the ball and has it factory installed as an option soon (at least for those who don't have a MKV yet), as Audi has recently done with the A3. The funny thing is no one at my local Audi dealer believed me when I told them there are A3's now equipped with it (that first link is proof).
Let's return to the subject in a year or so.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Re: (VWYankee)

I'm heavily considering this Motorola IHF1000 Bluetooth kit. How much is this thing for VW to install? If I order the harness, can I do it myself? I have the instructions printed out here, and they state: "installation is simple with customized plug and play connector", and "professional installation typically takes less than 45 minutes".

·
Registered
40 Posts
Re: (gsantarelli1)

I am having my dealer install mine on Monday. Not sure how much they will charge. To properly place the microphone in the ceiling/lighting console, it would require routing the wire around the windshield and there are airbags in the way. Just felt better letting the dealer to the install because of that.
I ordered all the parts myself. You have to order the IHF and the VW harness and a molex connector and pins. I had to order each from a different place (IHF from gotbluetooth.com, harness from ECStuning.com, and molex parts from mouser.com) If you try to do this install yourself, you may need some specialized tools as you will need to attach the pins to the end of the wires. Another reason it was just easier to hand it over to the dealer. You also have to splice one of the wires with another in the fusebox.
Will post another response after I get it installed with that cost and also a review of how it works

·
Registered
160 Posts
Re: (jnmowery)

Quote, originally posted by jnmowery »

I ordered all the parts myself. You have to order the IHF and the VW harness and a molex connector and pins. I had to order each from a different place (IHF from gotbluetooth.com, harness from ECStuning.com, and molex parts from mouser.com)

What are the Molex part #s from Mouser??

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
my thoughts - screw the phone button. go bluetooth headset if you want hands free so bad, you could buy a top of the line headset for the a quarter of the price of what we're talking about here.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Re: (hatzie)

0039013089 Female (need 1)
0039000040 or 0039000041. These are the pins. You will need atleast 6.

Less than $2 for all of that.

NOTE: Most probably already realize this but the IHF does NOT enable the steering wheel phone buttons.
The little silver controller has to be mounted somewhere on the dash (I am wanting to put mine above the a/c vent to the left of the steering wheel. To me just seems easiest place to access. I have seen other pictures where it is mounted to the right of the steering wheel but at about the level of the radio.)

·
Registered
40 Posts

Well my dealer won't install it since I didn't buy from them. At first they said they would install it all at since it was a motorola product and stated they will not install after market parts.
So I am off to call other VW dealers in the Atlanta area to see if they will install it.

·
Registered
15 Posts

I got a quote of $500 jsut for the parts to get the phone working. That doesn't include labor.
I called VW to complain...and we eventually settled the matter for $100. In other words..they gave me a voucher good for $100 on any service or accesories.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Wiring help needed

Ok, now that I have engaged in installing this thing myself. I have what I hope is an easy question.
Part of the instructions are:
Install the single black wire with
1Amp ATO Fuse to a hot in RUN
circuit (15) of the vehicle main
fuse block
I know where my fuse box is and I know the 15 is Bosch-speak for a +12V when ignition is on. Quesion is where do I find this in the fuse box? Use an empty slot? How do I know which one has the +12V ignition vs +12 constant in that case. It's indicating I need to splice this black wire with this RUN circuit, so I am thinking their idea is to remove the fuse box and this wire I am looking for is behind there. JUst looking to avoiding going there if I don't have to

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.