VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced my head unit (2004 TT Coupe) with an Alpine CDA-9886. Sounds great, etc., but the radio tuner reception is crap. Looking at the Bently manual, I see the car has an antenna booster/amplifier. Does anyone know how it works with an aftermarket head unit?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Re: Antenna Booster/Amplifier (JettaRed)

You will need to purchase something like this:
http://enfigcarstereo.com/shop....html
Confirm with the vedor that it is the right one.
What that does is convert the aftermarket antenna connector the factory style and power for the antenna amplifier.

·
Registered
10,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Antenna Booster/Amplifier (Motown_Dub)

Thanks. I just found this in the Bentley:
Quote »
When installing other radio units, the antenna amplifier can be influenced, since the original Audi radio units use a "remote supplied antenna" which means that the voltage supply of the antenna amplifier is supplied via the center conductor of the HF cable. Therefore use the remote supply adapter approved by Volkswagen and Audi (manufacturer: Votex).

·
Registered
10,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Antenna Booster/Amplifier (JettaRed)

Problem solved! Big difference, actually better than the original factory Concert II receiver. This info should be posted in an FAQ somewhere. (Ha, maybe it is.)
(BTW, I got the antenna adapter with a power lead as part of the install kit from Crutchfield. I just thought it was for a power antenna, not the antenna amplifier. Heck, I didn't even know there was one.
)

Modified by JettaRed at 9:49 AM 6-3-2008

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
so did you connect the blue wire from the antenna to the white w/ blue strips wire on the harness? I couldn't get AM until I did this. My reception still kind of sucks sometimes though.

·
Registered
10,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: (Dude Wheres My Jetta)

Quote, originally posted by Dude Wheres My Jetta »
so did you connect the blue wire from the antenna to the white w/ blue strips wire on the harness? I couldn't get AM until I did this. My reception still kind of sucks sometimes though.

Crutchfield provides an antenna adapter that does have a blue power wire attached. The head unit has a blue wire marked for power antenna and that's what I used to provide the 12V.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Re: Antenna Booster/Amplifier (.je)

i put in a powered antenna adapter and i still get almost no reception... just gave up...

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Re: Antenna Booster/Amplifier (gt_racer95)

Quote, originally posted by gt_racer95 »
i put in a powered antenna adapter and i still get almost no reception... just gave up...

Antenna base could be faulty. They are known to bite the big one over time

·
Registered
13,069 Posts
Re: Antenna Booster/Amplifier (CMihalcheon)

I did a three way tie in, stock harness blue wire/radio blue wire and antenna blue wire all connected together. reception sounds great.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Re: Antenna Booster/Amplifier (AE2058)

Quote, originally posted by AE2058 »
I did a three way tie in, stock harness blue wire/radio blue wire and antenna blue wire all connected together. reception sounds great.

so you tied the blue/white on your radio to the blue on your radio? That will cost you later, the blue wire shuts off when your not on am/fm source, so your back feeding voltage into your deck when your not suppose to.
Unless your using a cheap kenwood deck, it'll have both wires but only the blue/white works

·
Registered
75 Posts
Please help me with this too. Where do you connect the blue wire to? I have no AM. Can I just connect it to a constant 12V?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Am I correct to say that if this wire is not connected, the radio reception is not amplified and therefore weak reception? I have great FM but no AM.

If I connect this wire to a 12V when the radio is switched on, it will then amplifed the reception?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts