VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am loosing anti freeze and I can not see where it is leaking from.

I do see drops of anti freeze in the area between the transmission and the oil pan.

I inspected all of the hoses and the connections on the automatic transmission cooler.

I assume it is a gasket on the engine that must be leaking. But there is no clear view.

Any thoughts on this one? Thanks.

·
Registered
115 Posts
...But there is no clear view.
Therein lies your "problem". You have to remove stuff to get a better look. There are a few things in the back of the head that can leak like the gooseneck, connecting hoses, plastic fittings, etc. And probably some engine/tranny specific things like the cooler you've already inspected. But you need to be able to inspect (see) them to determine what is leaking, especially a smaller "nuisance" leak. Gravity will pull the leak to the bottom of the car but sometimes wind and forward momentum will pull the leak towards the back of the car.

Remove the engine cover (if necessary), air cleaner and housing. This is a necessary skill to know if you want to work on just about anything underneath them. When in doubt, take it out! ;) Get a can of Brakleen and preferably a compressed air source. Spray a little then blow off and repeat. Avoid allowing the Brakleen to soak in as it can damage paint, rubber and plastic! And be careful dirt and grit doesn't blow back in your eyes or get on the car! Top off coolant if necessary and see if any leaks present themselves without pressure. A bright light will come in handy here. I would suspect "easy" things before I go blaming a head gasket. If you have to, reconnect the air cleaner or at least the MAF and run the car for 5 minutes and check again. Do NOT run the car without the MAF hooked up or you will generate a code. Good Luck!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the top cover off. As far as I can tell, I have inspected every hose and the radiator for any signs of a leak.

I have not removed the air cleaner. But it does not appear to be anything under there to be concerned with.

It appears the thermostat is behind the alternator and the housing is metal and dry. If I am wrong please correct me. if it were leaking the drops would be on the other side of where they are.

The Tranny oil cooler is dry but I can't inspect the lower edge where it is so tight against the engine. Maybe? I have never removed it and I don't know how it is sealed or how it goes together. If that seal was leaking I would guess it would be ATF leaking out. Please chime in if I am wrong. Thanks!

I am leaning towards a head gasket. Unfortunately........

I am also leaning towards trying some Barrs Leaks in the radiator.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I am also leaning towards trying some Barrs Leaks in the radiator.
Stop leak will not solve anything, and can potentially make things worse.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
X2 on not using Barrs leak, it's a bandaid not a cure. The difference between the Ford&VW coolant systems are a cast iron block vs an aluminum block and the Barrs leak can do more harm than good. It's your car and your decision, I've used Barrs leak in previous vehicles over the years but I wouldn't put it in my VW

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2003 GTI 1.8T
1,005 Posts
On the trans side of the engine, there should be a spot where the upper rad hose goes to the motor and you should have a coolant temp sensor there. The coolant flange on the block uses an o-ring and is made of plastic. Over time, it warps and loses the seal with the o-ring. Since you said you see coolant between the engine and the trans, that's a good indication that the coolant flange is bad and needs replacing.

Here ya go: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2970825

·
Registered
881 Posts
On the trans side of the engine, there should be a spot where the upper rad hose goes to the motor and you should have a coolant temp sensor there. The coolant flange on the block uses an o-ring and is made of plastic. Over time, it warps and loses the seal with the o-ring. Since you said you see coolant between the engine and the trans, that's a good indication that the coolant flange is bad and needs replacing.

Here ya go: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2970825

This ^ :thumbup:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the Link!
Very informative.

I am not sure if that is my problem. I have not noticed that Red Crud around that housing.

It sounds like these are notorious to leaks and if it is leaking from the bottom it may be the problem. I may try re torquing the bolts for now. Even if it slows it down ...........
that is a benefit.

I will take a closer look when the weather is better.

The OP suggests an OEM replacement, not an aftermarket. Is that what folks here think?

I did not read the entire post as it was many pages long.

I would use silicone grease on the o-ring to lubricate it and help it come off the next time it may need to be removed. I assume silicone grease is ok with the Pentosin Antifreeze? Maybe not. I have used it many times on other cars using Prestone. Helps to prevent hoses from bonding and eases removal.

Is the thermostat in that housing? It was not clear from the photos or the post?

·
Registered
2003 GTI 1.8T
1,005 Posts
Don't need to use anything on the o-rings.

If you're going to stick with the plastic flange, I would just use an OEM flange.

I am not sure if there is a cast aluminium flange available for the 2.0 like the 1.8T/VR6 motors, but if someone makes one, go for that. The aluminium ones don't warp like the plastic ones but if they ever leak, all you have to do is replace the o-ring on them and reinstall. Can't do that with the plastic ones.

Also, the thermostat is not in that housing. It's towards the front left of the motor, closer to the water pump.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Don't need to use anything on the o-rings.

If you're going to stick with the plastic flange, I would just use an OEM flange.

I am not sure if there is a cast aluminium flange available for the 2.0 like the 1.8T/VR6 motors, but if someone makes one, go for that. The aluminium ones don't warp like the plastic ones but if they ever leak, all you have to do is replace the o-ring on them and reinstall. Can't do that with the plastic ones.

Also, the thermostat is not in that housing. It's towards the front left of the motor, closer to the water pump.
I took a closer look today and I can't see any drops of anti Freeze. however when I put my hand under neath and feel around there is some moisture. It must only leak when at high rpm.

I know in the DYI the Author says there is one nut and one bolt. On mine it looks like two nuts. Unless one is a stud bolt where the nut is epoxied to the stud and it is used like a bolt. I have seen that on Fords.

I found this Aluminum flange. Looks good but people have complained about he cheap paper gasket and the plastic clips for the sensor breaking. You can read the reviews for yourselves.
If anyone knows of another source please share.

https://www.amazon.com/VOTEX-Volkswagen-ALUMINUM-Coolant-06A-121-132/dp/B00K338PE2

Thanks for all of the help.

PS. I now get the crack pipe joke.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.