VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a new owner of a 2003 24v VR6 GTI, I am concerned and nervous about driving my new car, especially on longer trips. Given the apparent and recent coilpack failures that several 24v VR6 owners are experiencing, I am getting nervous. Now, apparently, it is not just the 1.8T owners that have to deal with this crap. It is most disconcerting and unfortunate that one has to experience these very real feelings and concerns in a NEW car!!! And now i'm reading that in many cases, VW service departments are only replacing one or two coilpacks AS THEY FAIL! They should be replacing ALL the failed AND potentially defective coilpacks with NEW and IMPROVED ones, not just single units that fail, as they fail! It is obvious that if one fails, the rest must be compromised. We all really need to 'get on the horn' or e-mail VW of America and/or our dealership service managers and convey our concerns and dissatisfaction with this issue. Perhaps if they 'feel the pressure' a bit more based on consumer complaints/voiced concerns, they may issue a recall on the 1.8T coilpacks, and possibly the 24v VR6 ones.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Re: Any 2003 model year 24v VR6 coilpack failures yet? Call VW ... (RUSH Geddy Alex Neil)

I know exactly how you feel. I just bought an '03 GLI on 01/09/03 and I am already worried that the car is going to break down on me.
I asked the dealer if they knew what type of coilpacks are in the '03 models and they told me they don't know because it is pretty random what car get what version of the coil packs at the factory.
Has anyone decided to go ahead and order the "good" coil packs (J version?) and install them yourself before any problems occur?

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Re: Any 2003 model year 24v VR6 coilpack failures yet? Call VW ... (GLIguy)

the coilpacks for the 24Vs are completely different then the 1.8t coilpacks. we don't have a "J" verion - i believe our part number ends in a "A" or a "D". the part number is in the other coilpack thread.
also - these parts are on national backorder. unless dealerships are pulling these from cars on the lot, there are none to be found (altho it does seem that some dealers have gotten a few in).
i tried calling impex (vwparts.com) on wednesday to see if they had any, and they came back and told me no - so i do not believe we can do any preventative maintenance on these.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Re: Any 2003 model year 24v VR6 coilpack failures yet? Call VW ... (GG_GLI)

probably too soon to tell, as their have been reports of failures of the new "J" coils on the 1.8Ts.
all we can do is cross our fingers and hope the new part fixes the problem.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Re: Any 2003 model year 24v VR6 coilpack failures yet? Call VW ... (jae)

quote:[HR][/HR]the coilpacks for the 24Vs are completely different then the 1.8t coilpacks. we don't have a "J" verion - i believe our part number ends in a "A" or a "D". the part number is in the other coilpack thread. [HR][/HR]​
Thanks for clearing that up. I wasn't sure.

[Modified by GLIguy, 12:20 PM 1-28-2003]

·
Registered
2,163 Posts

ok - i just got my car back, w/ all 6 coilpacks replaced. my dealership's service dept rocks.
the correct part number is: 022-905-100-D
i believe they are made by bremi - i saw a copy of the work order and it said something about "order 6 bremi coilpacks".
good luck to anyone else w/ this problem, hopefully these will be avail for you soon, and anyone who hasn't had this problem won't have to wait long.
now on to dealing w/ vwoa and their crappy customer service over this entire issue.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts

ok...for the people who havent been paying FULL attention to this issue, what are coilpacks and more importantly, what are the symptoms of failure and/or symptons of future failure...if at all possible to predict.
like is there a way to prevent them from failing. i doubt it, just thought i'd ask

·
Registered
183 Posts
Re: Any 2003 model year 24v VR6 coilpack failures yet? Call VW ... (RUSH Geddy Alex Neil)

I have a 2002. I believe I just got a bad coilpack, all the symptoms are there. I left messages with the dealership and will have to wait until monday to see whats going to happen.
There goes my weekend!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: Any 2003 model year 24v VR6 coilpack failures yet? Call VW ... (RITDR)

quote:[HR][/HR].
There goes my weekend![HR][/HR]​
Your WEEKEND? HA! My brother's car was at the dealer for over 30 days. Didn't get it back until supposedly Foul oyVay of A ordered the dealer to strip parts out of a supply chain car (read formerly new car VW has for sale).
So, enjoy your, uh, weekend. And the next one, and possibly several more after that.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Re: Any 2003 model year 24v VR6 coilpack failures yet? Call VW ... (moosetestbestanden)

Mines still at the dealer 40 + Days ..........

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Any 2003 model year 24v VR6 coilpack failures yet? Call VW ... (darrenewest)

40 PLUS DAYS?!!!! That is absolutely PATHETIC! I sure hope VW of A is paying your car payments AND giving you some kind of loaner just to get around. I would be kicking and screaming and complaining to no end, if it came to what you are going through. VW's handling of the coilpack malfunctions, from having the part backordered to keep cars for weeks, is ABHORRENT! I've read that many VR6 owners, even going back several years, have had coilpack issues. You would think that VW would have gotten these coilpacks right after all these years! What a shame.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Re: Any 2003 model year 24v VR6 coilpack failures yet? Call VW ... (darrenewest)

quote:[HR][/HR]Mines still at the dealer 40 + Days ..........[HR][/HR]​
that's absurd. i hope you are calling vwoa and bitching on a daily basis over this. my car was only out for about 2 weeks (got it back friday), so i don't know how the hell you have had to wait this long. i'd definately make a scene and demand all 6 are replaced if you've had to wait this long.
as for the lemon law, i did some reading up on it this weekend and i read that once you inform the company you wish to pursue the lemon law, they still have a final chance to try and fix the problem. so - i'm sure in this case, the parts would just magically appear at the dealership.

·
Registered
798 Posts

I think about my car dying because of the coilpacks, but I'm not going to limit my driving or doing things because of it. I just hope things are resolved in a speedy manner, but I'm not expecting that.

·
Registered
171 Posts

Well, I have a 2002 GTI VR6 24v and I blew a coil pack last week, had it fixed in 2 hours. Dealer said it was the first 24v coilpack they have replaced. Completely different part/design.
Anyways, I watched as 4 customers came in with 1.8t coil pack problems and they were put on a 1.5 week waiting list (50+ names) to have the one bad coil pack replaced. This is so they could drive it for a few more weeks until the next coil cracks. Interestingly enough, if you drive an Audi 1.8t you get all 4 replaced the first time around, a benfeit of being an Audi owner I guess.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.