VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
11,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going this Sunday, any ideas(tire pressure ect). Gonna drive there and back on the tire pressure, so I don't wanna go too low. I don't have to be the fastest on the course, just wanna have some fun.
I'm gonna end up in the novice class with modified cars anyway(have cams, exhast, and suspension) so I'll most likely get my ass handed to me. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Re: Any advice for a first time VR autocrosser? (rocket vr6)

Actually, you want to run higher pressures than you would on the street to keep from rolling the sidewall over. On my corrado I run like 40f/38r. Definitely don't recommend driving on the road with those pressures. If you don't have a portable pump or don't know anyone with a pump, find the nearest gas station to the site and pump up there and let the pressure out when you go home. No offense, but if this is your first time, you won't be the fastest by a long shot and you will have a LOT of fun. Novice class is always a mixed bag of cars, so just go have fun and don't worry about winning and you just might win novice.

·
Banned
11,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Any advice for a first time VR autocrosser? (pwellen)

Well I'm definately expecting to get handed my ass considering my friends 300+ hp WRX with coilovers is in the same class as me.
I just wanna have some fun. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Re: Any advice for a first time VR autocrosser? (rocket vr6)

first thing you learn...HP don't mean a thing in auto-x. i've gotten waxed by guys in 8v golf's IN A LOWER CLASS! i've also beaten people in type-r's and boxster's. it's the driver and then the handling and then the power (in terms of what makes the biggest difference). the wrx is great on course, not b/c of power, but b/c of AWD.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Re: Any advice for a first time VR autocrosser? (pwellen)

its all the driver. i watched a dude in a 996 turbo get his ass handed to him by a mini cooper, and even a old school toyota tercel hatchback. the guy just couldn;t drive and was missing all the apex's and corners.
getting lost is also an issue on some courses. some courses loop over themselves and its hard to know where to go when its just cones. make sure you memorize the map right.
i DSQ'd cause i got lost

1 - 6 of 6 Posts