VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if anyone in the Boston area has a B5 Passat with Eiback ProKit springs and Bilstein shocks. I'm getting ready to have Shine Racing put these on our '99 1.8T sedan and would like to try them first. If you have a car with these, I'd like to drive it gently. I'm more concerned with ride quality than ultimate handling. I'll pay you with beer, lunch, or whatever.
If you're located elsewhere and have this setup, please post your thoughts on it. How is the ride? Do passengers complain about a harsh ride? Does it handle well? Does it ever bottom out? How much did the car drop from stock?
We have two other VWs now. One is an '02 Golf TDI with Shine springs and Bilstein HDs. I LOVE that suspension but Shine has not yet come up with a spring kit for the B5 Passat. I spoke to Eli again yesterday. They would need to buy 100 sets just to test the first design and that's not likely to happen. He suggested Eibach ProKit and Bilstein Sports. He says that the H&R springs are only a little stiffer than stock and won't give me the feel I like so much in the Golf SRS springs.
I've put Neuspeed springs on two previous VWs and didn't like the ride quality of either one. This stuff is all very subjective, so that's why I'm hoping to find a car to drive.
I put Bilstein HDs on our '99 B5 1.8T wagon and it's better than stock, but still a little too mushy with the stock springs. I want the firmness and control of the Shine springs on the Golf with the minimal drop and good ride they provide. Are the Eibach springs my best bet? Thanks for any suggestions or experiences.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Re: Any B5 w/Eibach-Bilstein near Boston? (Dan Miley)

I'm in Arlington. I'm running VW Sport Springs w/Bilstein Sports. Not the exact setup-but close. Let me know if I can help at all.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Re: Any B5 w/Eibach-Bilstein near Boston? (saat)

I gots, b5 v6 with Eibach prokits with Bilstein Hd's, 'xcept i'm in the hartford area..

·
Registered
52 Posts
Re: Any B5 w/Eibach-Bilstein near Boston? (Mgalin)

I have Eibach/Bilstein on 2001 B5 with Shine Bar installed at Shine
only problem is... the rear shocks are still the stock ones
so the setup isn't complete yet....
i hope to get to SRS and get the job finished this month
if you like the Real Street springs on your other VW i think you'll like the Eibach
as you say Shine has yet to make the for the B5.. but the Eibach is really the closest to RealStreet because they both are a 'linear' design

·
Registered
182 Posts
Re: Any B5 w/Eibach-Bilstein near Boston? (Dan Miley)

I'm running the VW/Eibach springs with Bilstein sport shocks and I'm seriously considering changing out the Bilsteins for something else. First, I'm not entirely happy with the handling and ride. The ride is not what I would call hard but it's too bouncy for my taste. It feels rather soft, underdamped, and somewhat unsettled over large low-speed bumps, but stiffens up a lot at higher speeds where it's better.
However, what's worse is that I've appear to have blown one of the Bilstein shocks and it's leaking oil badly enough to leave large oil spots on the ground when parked. Now I'm forced to deal with shock replacement and that's why I'm considering something different.
I know some people swear by the Eibach/Bilstein combination but my reference point is other high-performance cars. I also drive a Porsche which has much harder impacts on bumps, but also is much better controlled and not nearly as bouncy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts