VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Re: Any bodywork guys out there ? Need help with dent! (vwtoys)

i'd replace the door, you can probably even find one that's the same colour. for the rest you can beat it as flat as you can and bondo it, and the fender flare should hide a lot of it.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Re: Any bodywork guys out there ? Need help with dent! (VWUberAlles)

red Xs are hard to remove, unless you're talking about the guy offering domain services. I love geocities, combining the flakiness of free sites with the annoyance of advertising.

If you can remove the inside panels and get to the other side, you can hammer out most dents. Until geocities decides to let me see your pics, that's about all I can offer.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Re: Any bodywork guys out there ? Need help with dent! (negativl)

how perfect do you want it to be.. quite honestly the door and the rear quarter need to replaced... that much bondo is going to be first off hard to do and secondly never perfect, especially when the weather changes from hot to cold, you are always gonna get different amounts of shinking and expanding. you are alos going to have a real hard time around the body crease that runs right through the middle of the large dent.
Youw will prob. need to buy a new, complete rear quarter and cut the damaged one off (not an easy job since it has to be cut through the center of the rear C pillar, in the trunk, in the rear door jam and at the rocker panel.)
If you really don't care how it looks, Bonda that shat up and keep your fingers crossed...

·
Registered
817 Posts
Re: Any bodywork guys out there ? Need help with dent! (Golf-RSi)

You might be able to use a pin welder and try to pull most of it out with a dent puller, it will take a while and is time consuming getting it perfect, but good luck. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif I would try to pull it before anything but you can probably get a door cheap.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Re: Any bodywork guys out there ? Need help with dent! (Bent Metal)

replace your door, and pull the arch.
there is way too much work involved in replacing your rear 1/4 and almost any body shop would be able to repair that arch. All you need to do is pull, grind, fill, sand, prime, paint. whereas you would need to drill out over 100 spot welds, measure for straightness when you go back to replace the new 1/4, pull the rear window, all trunk stuff, bumper, etc. Its just way too much work when a qualified body man could pull and fill that in 2-3 hours! Just look around for a good collision shop and look at there refinished cars before you have your work done!
body filler wont crack or shrink in the cold/hot weather, the only time it shrinks/expands is when you add the hardener and its curing... usually about a day.. and then its hard as a rock and if the panel is prepped properly you wont have any problems with it!

[Modified by DuBLiFeh2o, 6:41 PM 1-24-2003]

·
Registered
10,616 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]... that much bondo is going to be first off hard to do and secondly never perfect, [HR][/HR]​
Not really, you have to pull the metal back to the original shape and then smooth it with bondo. The layer of bondo is going to be relatively thin. And don't use "Bondo" brand bondo, there's better stuff out there that won't shrink. I have seen much much worse(flipped prelude) that was pulled in areas that were bent(the collapsed roof was replaced) and looked perfect after smoothing and paint.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Re: Any bodywork guys out there ? Need help with dent! (central oregon jetta)

Just get it pulled.
Heres an example.
I did this as my FIRST EVER try at body work.
before:

During:

After:

Ignore the paint mismatch, I ran out of time (did it over a long weekend) and needed to use the car, so i didnt sand and mask the whole panel, so the rattlecan of stratos blue came out pretty bad.
Oh.. i used a hydraulic body press tool to pop most of the dent out.
(its like a mini jaws of life, with interchangeable bits)
So.. If I can do this, in a weekend.... (with it being my first attempt with bondo)
Im sure a qualified shop can do wayy better.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Re: Any bodywork guys out there ? Need help with dent! (VWsuperhero)

I guess i stand corrected. I've had three cars with rear quarter damage (95 Golf 97 jetta, 00 GTi) and none looked as bad as the above pics. In each case, my bodyshop did a complete cut and weld job.

·
Registered
10,616 Posts

that's some bad luck to have rear quarter panels damaged on 3 cars. if it's a insurance-sponsored job most likely the panel will be replaced. If insurance doesn't cover it this is how most people will go about repairing this damage.

and lyledriver, I must say you did a very good job!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Re: Any bodywork guys out there ? Need help with dent! (vwtoys)

insurance would never pay to replace that panel (15 h job probably). probably a 5 hour job to repair it. just replace the door from wrecker. couple hundred bucks total.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.