VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Besides ripping it out. Anybody make up some clips or retainers for those tabs to re-engage the slots on the hood?

·
Registered
7,838 Posts

·
Registered
2008 VW R32 - (Rotrex Supercharged)
2,491 Posts
Reactions: liquidvw

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had this issue on my car too but couldnt find an elegant solution so I just left it. But I would prefer just removing it as the next step than trying to figure out some special kind of retainers

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What part of, not ripping it out, wasn't clear?
1) It looks cheap and unfinished without it like a Yugo
2) It prevents engine heat from eventually deteriorating the paint.
3) It muffles engine noise.
4) It smothers engine fires.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
What part of, not ripping it out, wasn't clear?
1) It looks cheap and unfinished without it like a Yugo
2) It prevents engine heat from eventually deteriorating the paint.
3) It muffles engine noise.
4) It smothers engine fires.
You’re right, the old dirty, saggy non woven blanket looks WAY better.

The bullets you tout are theoretical.

• My blanket has been off for 6 years. Paint is shiny inside and out of the bay.
  • Vinyl sticker has been on for 3 years. Not melted.
  • Noise level difference cannot be perceived with human ears.
  • When was the last time you had an engine fire? I’m 65. Never had one.

All I’m saying is Armageddon will not happen when you remove that blanket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: bob22

·
Registered
2,491 Posts

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Or just take it out… Costs nothing. Sacrifices nothing.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
I will give you my hood liner if you really want another one. It would cost a fortune to ship due to size though.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I would replace it with new or take it out. I removed mine more than six years ago. Not because it was sagging or anything, just because it is ugly. I stuck it up on a top shelf in the garage just in case there were any future negatives for having removed it...I could easily re-install it. But no need.

↓Bad Fuzzy Pic↓
hoodie.png

Reactions: RRRRR32

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Great idea that's cheap and looks original. Wish I'd known about this before for my previous MK5.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
All the MK5 look to carry the same superseded part number from C to D the D does have the heat-shield panel and fits a bit better.
This is the one I purchased from ECS with free shipping a while back it has held up very nicely! I did go without one for years and never degraded the hood paint. But to be fair I did repaint the front end and hood almost annually due to driving it everywhere and my OCD about rock chips.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
^ ^ OCD indeed. I can see you keep your GLI/GTI in great shape.

I installed the identical insulation on my (Salsa Red!) 2009 GLI back in May 2018, because the original insulation was starting to deteriorate:

It was OEM VW, and only $70 then from ECS -- now listing for $105. It has the D suffix.

Bremmen is also a reputable aftermarket brand, and you can't go wrong with $32 from ECS. Of course, ship date would be November, and shipping is extra...

On the other hand, my wife's 2009 Jetta never had the insulation, and everything's been fine. Of course, the 2.5L doesn't run quite as hot as the 2.0T...

Slightly off-subject, but where are you getting your re-sprays of your hood and front done, and how for much? We live in Colorado Springs now, and rock chips (paint and windshield) are an eternal problem... but the premium body shop that my insurance company uses wanted about $500 just for a hood prep and re-spray...

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
^ ^ OCD indeed. I can see you keep your GLI/GTI in great shape.

I installed the identical insulation on my (Salsa Red!) 2009 GLI back in May 2018, because the original insulation was starting to deteriorate:

View attachment 106899

It was OEM VW, and only $70 then from ECS -- now listing for $105. It has the D suffix.

Bremmen is also a reputable aftermarket brand, and you can't go wrong with $32 from ECS. Of course, ship date would be November, and shipping is extra...

On the other hand, my wife's 2009 Jetta never had the insulation, and everything's been fine. Of course, the 2.5L doesn't run quite as hot as the 2.0T...

View attachment 106901

Slightly off-subject, but where are you getting your re-sprays of your hood and front done, and how for much? We live in Colorado Springs now, and rock chips (paint and windshield) are an eternal problem... but the premium body shop that my insurance company uses wanted about $500 just for a hood prep and re-spray...
There is a couple of places I have used. The last time I used Will Bowers (Two Rivers Restoration) that's into the air-cooled VWs and has done some SEMA builds I think it was about $600. That time I had bought a new front bumper too, I left at his shop to dry and took it straight to clear bra the car that's been probably 5 or 6 years ago now the votex lip is starting to look bad again and the hood has a couple of places but I've been happy with it. I replace my windshields every few years too, I think the last time I replaced one the VW parts guy at the dealership said there was one more blue tinted factory windshield left I almost bought it too but didn't, mine is a 2006 with the "blue glass".

1 - 20 of 23 Posts