VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am gonna order H&R sport springs along with Bilstein Sport. It says when lowering more than 1.4 to use a H&R front sway bar. Even with the sport springs is this neccessary? I am assuming there could be the potential for some serious problems if i didn't???? Any suggestions or info would be of great appreciation.

·
25,252 Posts
Re: Any damage not using front sway bar??? (1.8TWolfsberg)

If you use the stock bar your drive shafts could rub, and at some point rub themselves down to a dangerous (breaking) level, if you run NO bar you will have freakish oversteer, perhaps dangerous in certain situations. MAny people have run the sport/sport setup without problems, some have had to change, it seems there is no sense to which car gets away and which doesnt, just check every week or so to make sure you are not rubbing.

·
Registered
7,250 Posts

I have the eibach sportline, which is a 1.7" drop with Koni shocks and get no rubbing on my 1.8T. from what I gather it is more of an issue with the vr6's.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Re: Any damage not using front sway bar??? (kreuzerGOLF18T)

Same deal. I have the H&R Race springs and still stock shocks. No problems with the sway. If you have a 1.8T, save your money.

·
Premium Member
36,791 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Hey, thanks for your input. I really appreciate it. I would rather be safe than sorry so I am gonna just change the sway bar and prob go with H&R to match up with the spring set![HR][/HR]​
You have a 1.8t which has thinner driveshafts than the VR6. I had the sport springs on mine before I switched to race, and I only had a few scuff marks and that's probably from autocrossing and cornering hard.
People with 1.8Ts can lower 2.0" on the stock sway bar. Save your cash, you don't need to change it.
I also ran for a bit without a front sway bar, but there is much more body lean, and it does oversteer quite a bit. I could swing the back around from a dead stop in a turn. Turn the wheel, punch the gas, and slip goes the back!
It was kinda cool, but I like it better with the H&R front sway bar I later got.
- Anthony

·
Registered
307 Posts

This has been said earlier in the post, it depends on the drive shaft diameter. 1.8T generally has a thinner drive shaft than the vr6. I am having an H&R cup kit put on next week, and I have been told that the drive shaft should clear the sway bar. But if it does not, AWE has sway bar extenders, I belive they are just longer bushings. These will help the driveshaft clear the sway bar, and its cheaper then buying a new sway bar.

·
Registered
632 Posts

You will probably have no problem, but if you are concerned Freedom Design makes swaybar extensions which will give you the space needed. In my opinion do the install and see if you have any rubbing. It's not going to be something that will take you off the road. If you haqve rubbing order the ends and put them on. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I went through the same concern when I put mine on with NO problems. I think H&R just put that note on to cover their butts.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
24,078 Posts
Re: Any damage not using front sway bar??? (rs4-380)

quote:[HR][/HR]l, if you run NO bar you will have freakish oversteer, perhaps dangerous in certain situations. [HR][/HR]​
Sheesh better go tell my car that becasue with no front car and an autotech rear bar, my car is deadneutral, to maybe just a bit of oversteer dependin on which wheels I have on the back, and my car is gutted from teh drivers seats back so its super light back there. no freakish oversteer, ALOT safer then understeer.
About teh axles, 1.8Ts and VR6s have the same axles in fact every 1.8T I have come across had the same axles, while a VR6 we had in the shop and our shop noe made almost at teh same time happened to have different axles, ours had smaller ones. I know of a fwe 1.8T guys with no rubbing issues and a fwe wiht some rubbing issues.
I have also seen the extensions work and also not work. It all depends on the mood of teh car.
chris
[email protected]

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
Re: Any damage not using front sway bar??? (chris86vw)

LOL, I finally find someone with teh
same problem as me! all the "the" come out as "teh".
do you get a lot of "doign" instead of "doing" ? that's another one of mine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.