VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
between 92-93 SLC's, maybe the computer? does anyone know, if so would you reply here, i know interior is different

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Re: any difference in vr6 motors between 92-93 (Volks Folks)

The computer is different. Also, most 93' VR6's have a coilpack while all 92's had a dist. Some 93's did have a dist but not many.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: any difference in vr6 motors between 92-93 (KidCorrado)

is there a difference where one motor is harder to work on 'like for repairs' the other between those two years?

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Re: any difference in vr6 motors between 92-93 (SLCorrado)

exactally, the motors didnt really change in 1 year except for the coilpack.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts

Rumour has it that the dizzy motors are stronger and respond better to mods.
Gopal.

·
Registered
14,467 Posts

The "obd" 1 or 2 has nothing to do with the coil packs or distributors. obd2 didnt come out until, i think, 95 or 96.

·
Registered
14,467 Posts

yeah, im not sure exactly what differenciates the obd1 from obd2, but it has something to do with emissions standards, and the ECU (ecm)

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Re: any difference in vr6 motors between 92-93 (NVmyVW)

For the most part:
Distributor = Socketed ECM (you can replace the chip yourself)
Coilpack = Non socketed ECM (the chip is soldered in place)
As with many things about the Corrado - there are exceptions. For example, most late 93's came with a coilpack, most early came with dist. motor, but some late 93's came with a distributor, as has been stated above. My 93 was built very late in the production run and has a distributor.
I have read that all coilpack cars came speed limited at 120 mph. ALL 94's came with coilpacks and were speed limited to 120. Perhaps someone with a 93 Coilpack car (with stock chip) can confirm wether or not 93's with a coilpack are also limited to 120.
Either way it doesn't really matter. Once you swap an aftermaket chip in place of the factory IC you remove the speed limiter.
HTH,
-Mike

Modified by mpaster at 3:55 PM 6-29-2003

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Re: any difference in vr6 motors between 92-93 (mpaster)

So are their any advantages of having coilpack over the Distributer or vice cersa?

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Re: any difference in vr6 motors between 92-93 (Seis)

Quote, originally posted by Seis »
I've gone 138 in my 92, no speed limiter there

you probably have a chip and dont even know it because in my 92 i was govern'd at 120

·
Registered
14,467 Posts

I had it boucning off the pin at 140, and im pretty positive my old 92 was not chipped. who knows maybe it was haha, thats be kinda cool actually

·
Registered
8,135 Posts
Re: any difference in vr6 motors between 92-93 (NVmyVW)

My pre-chipped 92 went over 120 with no limiter.
One thing I've noticed is that on my 92 the accelerator has a governer that seems to be bolted to the floor board, while the 93 and up have a threaded governer that you can remove quite easily. What's up with this?

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Re: any difference in vr6 motors between 92-93 (mpaster)

Quote, originally posted by mpaster »
For the most part:
Distributor = Socketed ECM (you can replace the chip yourself)
Coilpack = Non socketed ECM (the chip is soldered in place)
I have read that all coilpack cars came speed limited at 120 mph. ALL 94's came with coilpacks and were speed limited to 120. Perhaps someone with a 93 Coilpack car (with stock chip) can confirm wether or not 93's with a coilpack are also limited to 120.
Either way it doesn't really matter. Once you swap an aftermaket chip in place of the factory IC you remove the speed limiter.
Modified by mpaster at 3:55 PM 6-29-2003

For the most part, but my chip didn't need to be sodered in, just plug and play and I've got a coilpack (unless I have a bizarro ECU). Either way, pre-chip, I was governed at 120.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Re: any difference in vr6 motors between 92-93 (BilingualGringo)

ah wait, i forgot when i got my corrado converted to coilpack and had a 93 chipless ecu that was when i was limited to 120...

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
my '93 (late production model) has coilpacks and acts funny with the speedlimiter... I bought the car in Co. Springs and ran it over 120-130 several times on the way home. Coming back from Santa Fe one time I hit over 135... But then one night in VA I bounced HARD off the limiter at 120.. dunno what gives.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Re: any difference in vr6 motors between 92-93 (silverG60)

Quote, originally posted by silverG60 »
So are their any advantages of having coilpack over the Distributer or vice cersa?

well, if you have any early dizzy VR6, the wiring harness will be harder to come by if something goes wrong with it. this is why alot of places will want you to swap to coilpacks if something breaks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts