VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as topic states, any dynos or other examples of the comparison between a 3" CAI vs. a 2.5" CAI? anyone with a 3" care to share their thoughts/experience with it? thanks.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Re: Any dyno's of a 3" CAI compared to 2.5"?? (GrayRayT)

I don't have the dyno charts you're looking for, but I'm quite certain the difference in power will be negligible. I think the 3" would have a little slower throttle response, though.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Re: Any dyno's of a 3" CAI compared to 2.5"?? (LA Wolfsburg)

I think it depends how much HP you're pushing in the first place. That's why a small turbo like a K03 has a small inlet and a big turbo like a T76 have a big inlet. I think 3" is good for like 300whp. My uncle's RX-7 has a 4" inlet since it's pushing close to 500whp. You could calculate the speed of the air and that would determine what diameter to use. You don't want supersonic speeds or anything near that (Mach .2 or .3 is ok). I think somebody in the FI forum calculated them for IC pipes.
Speedy G

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Any dyno's of a 3" CAI compared to 2.5"?? (LA Wolfsburg)

Quote, originally posted by LA Wolfsburg »
did you read my response in the other post? im just wondering what you thought of it.
anyway i have a carbonio (3 inch) and its great.
here is where it started
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=912857

yea i did. too much confusion still for me, so i figured dyno charts and numbers will settle it for good. now the only problem is there are none.

·
Banned
12,870 Posts

User "Jolf GTI" switched from a Carbonio to an AEM. Not sure if he has dynoed since the switch. IM him to find out.

·
Banned
523 Posts
Re: Any dyno's of a 3" CAI compared to 2.5"?? (VDUBNDizzy)

AEM is good stuff. I can get you one shipped for $160 in (red, blue, polised, or gray) for any MK4 north american engine (2.0, VR6, 1.8T) Anyone im me if you are interested.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts

I just switched from the 3" EVO to the 2.5" AEM and can't feel any seat of the pants difference. Maybe bacause my turbo back is 2.5" to match the intake.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Any dyno's of a 3" CAI compared to 2.5"?? (mimikos)

how long ago did u switch? so there is no difference at all you're saying? throttle response, low end, mid range, high end, is all exactly the same as it was with your 3"?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts

I switched last week and didn't notice any difference. I guess it is sucking in the same amount of air, since my exhaust is only 2.5". I can see how the EVO may benefit if you have a 3" exhaust system. I will dyno her sometime this summer to compare the two. The last dyno resulted with 188 whp, 222 lb ft tq. As far as seat of the pants, they appear to be the same. The sad part is that I felt more response in the low end when I was using my non cai, Neuspeed P-Flow.

Modified by mimikos at 2:36 PM 7-1-2003

·
Registered
3,243 Posts

In all honesty you might see 1-3 hp difference between a 2.5" vs 3" most CAI only quote 3-6hp gain which i think is nonsense anyways....if you want HP and tq gains for the money a CAI costs i'd say get the Samco turbo inlet hose.....your going to get more gains from that then a cold air intake and even that don't expect a world of differnce. Best bang for the buck if you dont allready have is a chip, next is a downpipe, then catback. The other stuff is just icing on the cake to eeek that last tiny tiny bit.
I didn't notice much of anything with my AEM CAI on my 2003 awp and i was chipted be4 i put it on. I honestly put the CAI on it because the car was so quiet since it's turbo and i wanted it to have a little character and make the GFB BOV/DV more audible. Personally i think people confuse the noise from the intake with power gains, not to say there was none but like i said it's such a tiny bit

1 - 11 of 11 Posts