VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering how well a bike or two would fit in the back of a EV. Seems like you can score good deals on them since VW has a tough time selling them.
Looking at one when my WE Jetta lease is up. Hate the roof rack setup on a car - leaves marks on the paint and renders the sunroof nearly useless with the fairing wind noise, lowers mileage as well.
So, is a Eurovan a great vehicle for mtb'ers guys? I haven't ruled out waiting for the microbus, but I don't wanna spend $34k on a van either.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Re: Any Eurovan owners also mountain/road cyclists? (spongebob_squarepants)

I used to road race years ago and used a 78 Westy for a mobile basecamp. No room inside for bikes, so we strapped them on the rear deck. That also worked well for a repair stand.
But it was so great to be able to pop open a cold one from the fridge, and break out the salsa and chips after a long ride while the other guys were packing up. For out of town gigs, we would usually just sleep in the van saving the motel bucks too.
Now I've graduated to motorcycle racing, and the Eurovan has stepped up to the plate. I needed to be able to tow an enclosed trailer with bike, parts, gear, and tools inside and the EV handles it like a trooper... something the '78 would never be able to do. And while other guys have to sleep in tents, or have enough money for the massive RV rigs, I can still pop the top and there's comfy sleeping for 4. No stove or sink, but we still have the fridge!
And the gas mileage ain't bad either.
Az <--- keeping the expenses down so I can race more.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Any Eurovan owners also mountain/road cyclists? (Az Barber)

So the fridge runs on battery power? Or can you plug in at a KOA or other campground? The ability to sleep a couple is really cool. The GLS won't do that though, right? (gotta have the MV with or without the pop top pkg)
I guess if you had a port-a-potty you'd have the ultimate cross country hauler, eh? http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
438 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]So the fridge runs on battery power? Or can you plug in at a KOA or other campground? The ability to sleep a couple is really cool. The GLS won't do that though, right? (gotta have the MV with or without the pop top pkg)
I guess if you had a port-a-potty you'd have the ultimate cross country hauler, eh? http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif [HR][/HR]​
That's the advantage of being a guy, I can pee anywhere I want.

The fridge runs off a second battery under the driver's seat. It also powers all the power outlets and the lights in the rear. There is no a/c hookup, but I got a small 2 amp battery charger under the front seat I can plug in to recharge the battery. I'm also looking into solar cells for the roof for when I'm boondocking. A small inverter fits under there too so I have a/c power for small appliances.
Az

·
Registered
9,903 Posts
Re: Any Eurovan owners also mountain/road cyclists? (miguel indurain)

When my parents bought 2 mountain bikes they would barely fit in our 93 Eurovan, but the seats were not removed, but only folded down.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Re: Any Eurovan owners also mountain/road cyclists? (Aw614)

I purchased the Fiamma for the T4 and am very happy with it. I have two very nice bikes which the rack keeps completely apart and away from the van's paint! Easy install and removal of both the bikes and the rack.

·
Registered
234 Posts

I would think one bike would fit in the back, wheels off. I ride mtn bikes; mine will fit in the trunk of a BMW 535i (86); I am on temporary leave from riding; when I get back to it, I plan to put a tow hitch on the van and get a bike rack that would mount on the hitch; it would be difficult to back up, but when my entire family goes away, it would hold 4 bikes. If you take out the rear shelf, I bet you could fit in 2 bikes with only front wheel removal.

·
Registered
137 Posts

One of the things that sold me on my 02 GLS is the "tumble" bench seat in the back. Not only does the seat back fold down, but the whole works - cargo cover, seat back, and bottom - rolls up and hinges forward to tuck in behind the middle seats. It takes about 20 seconds to perform this maneuver. Doing this has allowed me on occasion to carry 4 bikes back there (front wheels off). Might've been able to fit one more.
For longer road trips when there are lots of folks and gear however, I got a yakima roc'n'gate rack. It attaches via a 2" receiver hitch and holds four bikes. The swing-away feature is sweet and works beautifully with the rear hatch on the van.

·
Registered
2 Posts

We are road riders with a 02 MV. With the seats in we carry 2 bikes easily with room for a third on the rear shelf with both wheels off. With the rear facing seat bottoms turned up, front wheel off, hang the handle bar over the up-turned seat bottom. the second bike slides right in. We put them in facing the same direction (forward, away from the rear door) to keep the chain rings away from the rear seat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.