VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Atlas R-Line; 2019 330xi M-Sport
32,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... dad traded in his 2001 Jetta WE for a 2004.5 Lagoon Blue GLI (pics to come once I wax her up) last night. This morning I started to swap some stuff into the new car. Well, I put the Euro switch back in and I thought I'd better check the rear tail light to before I started running the wiring back there...
NO CUTOUT IN THE TAIL LIGHT FOR THE REAR FOG BULB!!

THis makes me very mad. No more lighted vent housings, no more tinted mirrors, no more armrest, and no cutout in the tail light.
Don't get me wrong- the car is EPIC in all proportions but VW's cost cutting kind ticks me off- especially considering the cost of the car.
Anyone dremeled out their tails yet? Any tips??

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Re: any GLI owners installed the rear fog light yet?? (NoDubJustYet)

"no more tinted mirrors"
What exactly are you talking about here? I had an 01 WE as well and I feel the mirrors are the same.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Re: (NoDubJustYet)

Not on my cars. My 04 GLS Jetta was just like my 01 WE and so is my GLI. When you are in the drivers seat looking out they don't seem tinted but when you are out of the car and look at them they do. They are like that for a reason. Maybe your car is different but mine aren't.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Re: (BlueGLI1.8T)

Quote, originally posted by BlueGLI1.8T »
Not on my cars. My 04 GLS Jetta was just like my 01 WE and so is my GLI. When you are in the drivers seat looking out they don't seem tinted but when you are out of the car and look at them they do. They are like that for a reason. Maybe your car is different but mine aren't.

Ummmm no. VW switched to a regular glass mirror after the Wolfsburg in '01.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Re: (Dubbin1.8)

I again do not agree with you on this. I know that at least all my cars have this. And yes I know the difference between tinted and non-tinted. My M3 also has tinted mirrors.

·
Registered
31,002 Posts
Re: (NoDubJustYet)

Any tails I've messed with that didn't have a rear fog "hole" had a circular cut-out that was held in place by a small amount of plasitic @ 12 and 6 o'clock. A little press and twist, and the disc dropped out, revealing a proper-sized hole for a new bulb. ...and the bulb harness has/had a port for this bulb.
The GLI tails are not like this? If not, just drill out a hole and shake out the dregs. Done.

·
Registered
2018 Atlas R-Line; 2019 330xi M-Sport
32,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for the idea.
for some reason the piece is solid- no pop out feature whatsoever... at least i didn't notice one, i'll check it out again tonight. if not, i guess i'll just bust out the dremel

i know the pre-face lift Jetta's as well as my Golf had a cutout- just no bulb or wiring...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts