VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am afraid that today The Lounge is going to be full of politics, Post Mortems, and "How and Why GM Failed". I am not one to stick my head in the sand and pretend that the world does not exist around me, but let's hear some good news, or funny stories about cars and/or driving.
I will start.
My parents have ended up with 4 cars between them. Actually 2 trucks and 2 sedans. My father is a contractor, and like so many other men like himself, he has his "work" F150 and his "Sunday" F150. My mother bought a Lincoln LS, a few years ago, just before she retired. Prior to that, she owned a 1994 Toyota Camry, which was purchased new in 1994. She kept the Camry, basically in a situation similar to my father's "work truck/fun truck" scenario. Now that she is retired, the Lincoln LS sees more duty as a daily driver, while the Camry sits. My father has announced that he will not renew the insurance on the Camry, this fall, so I am being given (FREE) a perfectly reliable, 4 cylinder, sunroof/PW/PS/ABS/airbag-equipped, 15 year old Toyota!

Modified by whitejeep1989 at 5:47 AM 6-1-2009

Modified by whitejeep1989 at 5:47 AM 6-1-2009

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Re: Any Good Car News This Past Weekend or Coming Week? (whitejeep1989)

The Camry is not beige is it??
My good automotive related news:
1) I am moving to a new house this week. I will be vacating my 1920's 1 car garage & now have a nice and large 2 (almost 3) car garage. Yay! Painting vehicles will now be MUCH easier.
2) I finally have located a new engine for my 87 VW
3) Sold all my mis-matched POS toolboxes on eBay and bought a bunch of new all-matching ones at Sears.......for less money!

·
Get Off My Lawn!!!
29,544 Posts
Re: Any Good Car News This Past Weekend or Coming Week? (a1veedubber)

The zeitgeist that is happening these days is why I've almost completed my retreat to the world of antique and classic automobiles for my car-fixation. The automobile world of today is largely joyless and nearly soulless, IMO. Between the unfolding story of the gradual destruction of America's automobile companies unfolding in excrutiating detail in the news, and the depressing sameness of most of today's production automobiles, it's just not worth the bother anymore, at least to me.
Luckily for folks like myself, there are a century's worth of fabulous cars to get lost in, so I have plenty to keep me busy for awhile.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Re: Any Good Car News This Past Weekend or Coming Week? (vwlarry)

Quote, originally posted by vwlarry »

Luckily for folks like myself, there are a century's worth of fabulous cars to get lost in, so I have plenty to keep me busy for awhile.

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

That reminds me of my other good news....
My Father & I recently pulled this out of a field:

It will be a LOT of work, but we plan on recreating the 57 that my Dad drove around for the family company back in the 50's & 60's (the 57 is on the left, 58 on the right):

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
My bike rack will be here on Wednesday. No more putting a muddy bike in the back of my car and having to vacuum it constantly.

·
Registered
19,201 Posts
Re: Any Good Car News This Past Weekend or Coming Week? (whitejeep1989)

I took the opportunity the other day to drive a 23yr old, 217k mile Nissan King Cab truck and it reminded me how wonderful simple vehicles are. You could feel everything, nothing was damped or insulated.
I hated giving the keys back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts