VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Any GTI owners re-wire their sun roof controls to front dash?

521 views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  VReihenmotor6 
#1 ·
Anyone do this or better yet, anyone have pics?

#4 ·
Re: Any GTI owners re-wire their sun roof controls to front dash? (feeling_sinister)

quote:[HR][/HR]Uhh, one question, WHY???

control box is busted, also thought it'd be a cool mod.[HR][/HR]​
Does sound interesting, shouldn't be to hard either, if I'm not mistaken it's just a 3 stage toggle switch. Could probally be done quite easily. Check connections see what does what, then rerun the wiring down the A-Pillar straight to the console. I'm assuming you would put this by the defrost switch?
*edit...if you had the knowhow, you might want to wire it in such a fashon so you hit the switch and don't have to hold it to open/close.
*editedit...I'd think this could be done with a thermal switching device, but I'm not too sure at what rating
[Modified by Pagano, 10:04 PM 2-10-2002]

[Modified by Pagano, 10:05 PM 2-10-2002]

#5 ·
Re: Any GTI owners re-wire their sun roof controls to front dash? (Pagano)

quote:[HR][/HR]Uhh, one question, WHY???

control box is busted, also thought it'd be a cool mod.
Does sound interesting, shouldn't be to hard either, if I'm not mistaken it's just a 3 stage toggle switch. Could probally be done quite easily. Check connections see what does what, then rerun the wiring down the A-Pillar straight to the console. I'm assuming you would put this by the defrost switch?[HR][/HR]​
Yep. Right by the defog switch. JettaFlite tells me I can use the Jetta window control...

#6 ·
Re: Any GTI owners re-wire their sun roof controls to front dash? (feeling_sinister)

How exactly would the window control be used. I'm actually liking this idea the more I think about it. However I want to do it with the OEM switch, though I do not know how to get it onto a locked toggle so it doesnt spring back out, I'd like to get a hold of a second switch so I could take it apart and look into a thermal switching device to run inline with the power supply

[Modified by Pagano, 10:09 PM 2-10-2002]

#9 ·

(NOTE: i never did this mod, im only saying it LOOKS like its possible)
i suggested teh rear window switch/cluster form a four door A3 because there are two seprate switches (one for drivers rear, on for passengers rear). one switch could be wired up to operate the sunroof sliding forward and back, the other could be wired to operate teh tilt. the rear window control cut-off switch (located between the two swtcihes in the cluster) could possibly be used for some other auxiliary device...maybe foglights or something. who knows...?

#10 ·

Your post got me thinking....
Just a disclaimer: I know nothing about electronics/switches
Would it be possible to somehow make my sunroof work like my windows (1-touch open) so I don't have to hold the switch to make it open all the way?
It would be great if I could do this without modifying the current (stock) control. If there were a way to do this, I'm sure A LOT of vortexers would be interested in doing it.
Any wiring experts on here? If it would work, I think it would be really cool...
ROB

#11 ·
Re: Any GTI owners re-wire their sun roof controls to front dash? (JetTAFLiTe)

i dont know if its the switch itself, or if its the alarm control/brain...but on the 98-99.5 models, the windows have one touch up AND down. that could possibly give teh sunroof a "one-touch" open/close feature.

#19 ·
Re: Any GTI owners re-wire their sun roof controls to front dash? (VReihenmotor6)

hey how about this idea
get another defroster button
take it apart and mod it so it is only momentary contact
while it is apart carefully mask the heat lines so only the rectangle shows
wire this to the pulse timer relay for the opening of the sunroof
just a thought
but it might be worth it and would deff look oem
which is my style if you haven't guessed by now
I'll post more if I think of any thing else

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.