VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
9,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i'm planning on taking out the rear seats tomorrow since i'm running schroth harnesses and it kinda eliminates the ability to sit in back... also, i want to create a false floor(i'm guessing like 1/2" to 3/4" plywood) from the hatch to where the rear seats normally end(the vertical drop off behind the front seats). I'm thinking wood because it will have "sections" to hold my toolbox, floor jack, and battery, and will give a nice place to put some tie downs for my sub.
of course this will all be carpeted. I still want full accessability to the spare, so i'm guessing the back half of it will be on hinges to rotate upwards to pull the spare out, or maybe just a circular cutout for it.
in addition on one side I would like to make a vertical amp rack behind one of the taillights(single amp, so nothing hard).
if anyone has any ideas, hints, suggestions whatever let me know. Also, whats the easiest way to remove the C-pillars so i can remove the inertia reels on the rear seat belts???
thanks

·
Banned
762 Posts
Re: Any how tos on complete false floor, i.e. DopeVR6??? (Anand20v)

1 - bust out some old cardboard boxes and the exacto knife. make a template with that.
I ended up with 10 pieces of cardboard taped together when i did my stereo, but it's cheap...
2 - put the template onto tagboard, trace it, and cut it out. This way your template is all 1 piece, and tagboard is slightly cheaper / easier to cut than wood.
3 - assuming all fits (after 2 or 3 test fits, and 4 or 5 measurements), cut out the MDF.

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
Re: Any how tos on complete false floor, i.e. DopeVR6??? (Slap)

Quote, originally posted by Slap »
1 - bust out some old cardboard boxes and the exacto knife. make a template with that.
I ended up with 10 pieces of cardboard taped together when i did my stereo, but it's cheap...
2 - put the template onto tagboard, trace it, and cut it out. This way your template is all 1 piece, and tagboard is slightly cheaper / easier to cut than wood.
3 - assuming all fits (after 2 or 3 test fits, and 4 or 5 measurements), cut out the MDF.

basically what I did... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
9,130 Posts

If you have harnesses aren't you more orientated towards performance? Wouldn't you want to use something lighter than wood? I guess not since you probably have 300 lbs worth or stereo to slow you down.

·
Banned
9,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Any how tos on complete false floor, i.e. DopeVR6??? (28)

Quote, originally posted by 28 »
If you have harnesses aren't you more orientated towards performance? Wouldn't you want to use something lighter than wood? I guess not since you probably have 300 lbs worth or stereo to slow you down.

my stereo consists of a single 10" + Clarion amp... and a headunit, nothing showy at all, just trying to organize everything.
any ideas for lighter than wood that would still be cheap??? and as for the weight, the simple solution of "turn up the boost" comes to mind hahah

·
Registered
2,184 Posts

Hit me up on AIM my name is DirtyBlang... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
14,013 Posts
Re: Any how tos on complete false floor, i.e. DopeVR6??? (DopeVR)

Quote, originally posted by DopeVR »

Hey, how did you get pics of my car

PAtrick

·
Registered
29 Posts

lightweight mdf is incredibly light, and a lot stronger than plywood but it is a tad expensive

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Re: Any how tos on complete false floor, i.e. DopeVR6??? (ricewrecker)

i thought harnesses were specifically not supposed to be mounted like that? I thought they were supposed to be bolted to a point that's level with your neck, so in the event of a crash there is no compression of the spine.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Re: Any how tos on complete false floor, i.e. DopeVR6??? (bobby_t1)

Never thought of that but now that you say it sure does sound believable.

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
Re: Any how tos on complete false floor, i.e. DopeVR6??? (FroOch)

yea I heard having harnesses mounted to the floor can in a severe accident flex and snap your seats, right into your spine. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
put a roll cage in
edit: nice seats and good job on the rear portion...

Modified by vdubnut_mike at 4:29 AM 7-5-2003

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Re: Any how tos on complete false floor, i.e. DopeVR6??? (vdubnut_mike)

the rear seat points are valid mounting points for most harnesses. do your research.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Re: Any how tos on complete false floor, i.e. DopeVR6??? (GTi Giant)

yup when they say not to mount them to the floor they mean the rear footwells....its specificaly instrusted not to do this in the instructions.. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,310 Posts

Use ½" Birch Plywood instead of MDF. It'll cost a bit more, but it weighs A LOT less than MDF. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Banned
9,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Any how tos on complete false floor, i.e. DopeVR6??? (bobby_t1)

Quote, originally posted by bobby_t1 »
i thought harnesses were specifically not supposed to be mounted like that? I thought they were supposed to be bolted to a point that's level with your neck, so in the event of a crash there is no compression of the spine.

here it is from Autotech/Schroth:
Quote »

This picture shows the correct installation and use of Schroth Harnessbelts in a Golf 2. This car body is one of Schroth's test chassis used to simulate head-on collisions at 50Km/h (31mph). Doors and other components not required for the evaluation have been removed. The Driver is wearing a Rallye 3. The passenger is wearing a Rallye 4.

both myself and DopeVR both have rallye4's

1 - 19 of 19 Posts