VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm getting ready to buy an ID4 2wd or an Awd and I'm just questioning what the mileage on the AWD ID4 will be, also where will the AWD be made? and are they worth waiting for and what month are they expected?

·
Registered
ID.4 1st Edition
179 Posts
The RWD is ~250 mile and the heavier/more powerful AWD is expected to be less (~220 mile?). USA AWD deliveries are anticipated this Summer/Fall.

All are built in Germany until sometime in early 2022 when VW will transition USA vehicle production to Chattanooga, TN.

I didn't wait - I got a 1st Edition. ;) And Yes, for me the 6-month wait was worth it. :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
When I placed my AWD order in I was told to expect delivery between Oct-Dec. I didn't wait... (got a First Edition!)

·
Registered
ID.4 1st Edition
179 Posts
Yes, I forgot the Covid-delay ripple effect for the US AWD. And also VAG's sudden need to sell more units in Europe to cover some fleet emissions threshold.
It also affected my ID.4 delivery to a degree, but the Ides of March was actually fine by me.

When I placed my AWD order in I was told to expect delivery between Oct-Dec. I didn't wait... (got a First Edition!)

·
Registered
668 Posts
I think 'worth the wait' really depends on what kind of vehicle you need. I live in Central Oregon and deal with ice/snow in the winter, so I am only considering AWD at this point.

·
Registered
ID.4 1st Edition
179 Posts
Historically I would be inclined to agree. However given over-the-air firmware updates it's far more a moot concern than ever before.

Never buy a 1st model year car.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Never buy a 1st model year car.
Normally I'd agree but VW's trend, at least in regard to their EVs, in recent years has been to release an early bird trim that is hard to match value-wise in later releases. The 1st is built in Germany and later iterations will be built state-side and I've always given higher value to German origin dubs than those built elsewhere. I suspect VW puts a little extra (source higher quality parts) into their launches, too. The first gen eGolfs, for example, had more efficient motors compared to the later releases. Those factors, along with the OTAs, make this less of a concern than usual. Plus, it's a VW...it's not like I'm expecting a gremlin-free vehicle during any release cycle :D

·
Registered
ID.4 1st Edition
179 Posts
Yes, "value engineering" always rears its increased profit margin ugly head in out years. So you have to weigh the bang for the buck trim (~$3K "free" in 1st Edition as an example) and somewhat better parts vs. the potential "early adopter" headaches. But again I've only had a couple App issues that were resolved fairly quickly and another vehicle charge-scheduling setup anomaly to work-around and likely to be addressed in the first OTA update. No issues with the actual drivability which has been excellent.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I think 'worth the wait' really depends on what kind of vehicle you need. I live in Central Oregon and deal with ice/snow in the winter, so I am only considering AWD at this point.
The cold temps will also impact range. I have a buddy who has a Tesla in Toronto Canada and he said in winter his range is reduced by about 20% during the cold winter.

·
Registered
ID.4 1st Edition
179 Posts
Indeed. The computer's top priority is keeping the battery at its optimal temperature and that of course requires more energy in Winter that would otherwise be used for more range. But then also in very hot climates keeping it cool. 🤷‍♂️
The cold temps will also impact range. I have a buddy who has a Tesla in Toronto Canada and he said in winter his range is reduced by about 20% during the cold winter.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Over on another forum that has a lot of activity concerning the VW EVs (VWIDTalk.com), the general thinking is that the RWD's 250 mile EPA range will be reduced to 220 to 230 miles for the AWD. Both cars will have the same battery pack. Remember that the EPA mileage figures are more for comparing different makes and models against each other rather than a precise indication of what any individual driver should expect for themselves.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts