VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As states above-need a better idea on removing the 5th gear on an O2A tranny without chipping any teeth? Please no dumb answers. I have no time for fools. Thanks inadvance.

· Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Any ideas on a better way to remove 5th gear on O2A? (Mr. Tickles)

yeah, but if heat it up its like taking chances of warping it at same time.

· Registered
1,166 Posts
Re: Any ideas on a better way to remove 5th gear on O2A? (nycdub2)

don't heat it up too much. I put my ring gear in the oven for a few minutes before I slipped it on my peloquin and viola, it slid right on. Did the same for fifth gear when I assembled/disassembled it. It'll only warp if there is a high temperature differential across the piece so apply the heat evenly. You don't need much.

· Registered
1,555 Posts

very gently pry with screwdriver underneath and use air chisel on center of input shaft. it will vibrate of.......i usually heat it up first just use circular motion around gear. just dont get it cherry hot.

· Registered
13,630 Posts

Quote, originally posted by nycdub2 »
yeah, but if heat it up its like taking chances of warping it at same time.

You won't warp it, but you can ruin the heat treatment, making it soft if it gets too hot.
I don't have a trick to removing it, other than using the VW special tool (Kukko dual arm puller) and Matra V-170 hooks...

Broke

· Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Any ideas on a better way to remove 5th gear on O2A? (Broke)

the pic inwhich you applied did not work but thanx for the info guys I'll look into the tools and see what can happen.

· Registered
13,630 Posts

Quote, originally posted by nycdub2 »
the pic inwhich you applied did not work but thanx for the info guys I'll look into the tools and see what can happen.

Yeah, the entire server is down that my site is hosted on.

24/7 support is taking 2 days to get through to a guy in the Phillipines who tells me the server is down

The pic just shows a 2 arm puller with the hooks meant for the 02A 5th gear. Not shown is the support bar across the hooks that keep them pulled in under the 5th gear, and prevents them from spreading when the load is applied.
Broke

· Registered
20,878 Posts

Pulling the 5th gear:
I pulled my DZSL SLC's 5th gear last night and it was easy but I've done it several times now. Last night I modified my craftsman gear puller a little more and I think I have made it very simple to do everytime now. Also I will add that I applied heat with a heat gun for a few minutes after I had the gear puller in place and ready to crank away.

· Registered
115 Posts
Re: Any ideas on a better way to remove 5th gear on O2A? (G60ING)

According to the Bently (G60) it should not be more than 100c or 212F.
Also i would recomend pulling on the gear, not the engagement ring (the thinky on the top of the main shaft)

· Registered
20,878 Posts
Re: Any ideas on a better way to remove 5th gear on O2A? (grantvisser)

Quote, originally posted by grantvisser »
According to the Bently (G60) it should not be more than 100c or 212F.
Also i would recomend pulling on the gear, not the engagement ring (the thinky on the top of the main shaft)

I've not had any problems with my technique and I have probably pulled more 02a 5th gears then 95% of the people that read this topic

· Registered
27 Posts
Re: Any ideas on a better way to remove 5th gear on O2A? (G60ING)

You're not going to ruin the heat treatment at only a few hundred degrees - remember, the tranny gets hot when you drive . . . .
Anybody got a 5th syncro assy. or just a slider (operating sleeve) they wanna sell? Mine bit the dust, and dealer wants $400

· Registered
389 Posts
I actually have the 5th gear synchro/selector assembly from an 02j I would be willing to part with.
One other thing to pay attention to when heating... if you get it too hot you risk melting the plastic race that holdes the needle bearing the 5th gear rides on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.