VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why does the UK police has so many BMWs? :confused:

Shouldn't they be driving a Vauxhall or something made in UK? I can easily understand a private party to buy BMWs, but why a public service would pay for 'premiums' cars.

·
Registered
83,416 Posts
The police need cars that will hold up to abuse.
Of course hey don't want British made cars. :screwy:

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Cheapest 3 series in UK is $31k USD. Cheapest 3 in USA is $33k

Cheapest charger in USA is $27k Cheapest Charger in UK is N/A hmmm.

·
Registered
20,571 Posts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_vehicles_in_the_United_Kingdom

Traffic Cars

Road policing units use cars that are larger, more powerful vehicles that are capable of carrying out tasks such as high speed pursuits and attending major accidents. Traffic cars are often estate cars that can carry additional equipment, such as traffic cones, signs to warn of road closures or collisions and some basic scene preservation equipment. Their daily roles primarily consist of ANPR patrols.

Unmarked vehicles are also employed for motorway patrol duties.

The most common traffic car used by British police RPU's is the BMW 530d while models from Audi, such as the Audi S3 are also becoming popular as unmarked units

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm quite sure you'd see a larger variety of police cars in the U.S. if municipalities weren't required to "buy American" as a condition for receiving federal grants.

·
Registered
34,591 Posts
I'm quite sure you'd see a larger variety of police cars in the U.S. if municipalities weren't required to "buy American" as a condition for receiving federal grants.
So do they produce BMW motorcycles in the US? Or Smart cars? How do they get away with it?

·
Registered
22,287 Posts
They use McMansion specials. :confused:

It's not like these are prestigious M cars or 6 series.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Because they are, nevermind your fallacious bias.
Actually they're really not. When I was stationed overseas a common sight was BMW and Mercedes pulling taxi duty, police cars, roadside assistance for ADAC, etc. I imagine it's just like the U.S. when it comes to how a municipality chooses police vehicles, the manufacturers offer up vehicles and compete on price, performance, and options. BMW happened to tick all the boxes in this case. Just like others have said, you can get a much lower optioned BMW over there, plus most manufacturers offer stripped down models at government pricing so retail values aren't even in play.

·
Banned
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
You've obviously never been inside a taxi spec MB in Portugal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No but I have been all over Europe. Yet MB or BMW are premium brands. You won't find any serious car testers that will say the contrary, unless incompetent.

That a few kids love to think otherwise won't change a thing. E-Class, taxi or not, are premium cars. Not Renault, not Ford, not Hyundai.

·
Registered
458 Posts
They also use Vauxhall Police cars, depends which force as they are split down into counties. BMW's are popular but they also use Skoda's and to be fair most brands of car these days. Unmarked BMW's and Audis are popular as they blend in with the many company cars on the roads.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts