VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i ahve a G60 and i blew my motor... soo the head and cam off and now i just got the car running again today with a different motor and it's not as fast as it once was... well it also needs to be timed might be why but, i was wondering if there was a cam in my old engine cause i don't really know too much of the past history of my car, alot of recipts but i think someone didn't keep certain ones haha. so if there is any markings on a stock G60 cam i should know to identify that would be great... thanks

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
Re: any markings to tell difference from stock to non-stock cam? (vdubCorrado)

well, on the stock cam it should have the little vw/audi stamp w/ the part number.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Re: any markings to tell difference from stock to non-stock cam? (kobidge)

you can actually feel the difference on the cam with your hands. I have a 268/260 cam and I could actually feel the difference between the intake and exhaust lobes just by touching them (I like to get intamate w/ my cams
). if I could feel that you should be able to see the difference between a stock and after-market cam's duration.
not exactly scientific but you'll atleast know if it is a non-OEM cam.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts

*After market cams usually have the sizes engrave on the side ie: 268/260 and ya you`ll feel the difference

·
Registered
11,641 Posts

Timing can make a BIG difference in power. Like 20 or 30 hp. Get the car running at 100% before you evaluate the performance differences. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Also, kep in mind that some aftermarket companies re-grind stock cams, so their cams will still have the stock markings on them.
-Nate

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: any markings to tell difference from stock to non-stock cam? (SaabFan)

got to love the amounts of knowledge nate has. thanks and i never thought about feelin her up.. givin it the ol lube job? hahaha naw but like what yousaid a 268/260 you can feel a difference but what if it was a just a 260 or a 270 soince the gruven stage 4 comes with the 270... i know it's def not a stage 4 car haha but just something tot hink about... thanks for the info

·
Registered
565 Posts

my stock cam has the numbers 26.0 between the 3 lobe. The other one I have says 27.7.....but I didnt buy the cam so I dont know what it is. Anyone know what these numbers mean?

·
Registered
11,641 Posts
Re: any markings to tell difference from stock to non-stock cam? (dank corrado)

Quote, originally posted by dank corrado »
my stock cam has the numbers 26.0 between the 3 lobe. The other one I have says 27.7.....but I didnt buy the cam so I dont know what it is. Anyone know what these numbers mean?

Those are casting numbers so the factory can tell which cast a particular cam blank came from. They shouldn't mean anything to the end-consumer, since all the cams are QC'd and ground to the same final specs.
-Nate

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: any markings to tell difference from stock to non-stock cam? (SaabFan)

according to the bently on cylinder one the casting should read A and on cylinder three it should read 026... sorry for wastign your time on this one... i didn't think for a little bit... i usually don't like the bently cause it's so hard to navigate through to find what you're really looking for...
p.s. mine was stock.. thanks

Modified by vdubCorrado at 5:42 AM 5-14-2003

1 - 9 of 9 Posts