VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the temperatures drop here in the northeast, any of you fellas in the northeast experiencing louder than usual steering rack noises such as louder humming while driving around a parking lot or parking deck?

·
Premium Member
7,201 Posts
Re: Any noisy steering racks? (alomI wolleY iTG)

You mean that grinding noise I hear when I make a tight turn in a parking lot? I was assuming that was just the tire hitting that plastic piece on the inside of the well.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
could be that OR, could be the strut bearings, theyve been known to go but they arent a moan, more of a knocking, OR could be the weel bearings... try driving 45 - 50 and turning the wheel lightly, try and EAR out where the noise is coming from, if you turn the wheel and it goes away, itll be the from the direction you turn... ie: you turn left and the noise goes away, or turn right and it groans louder.. its one of the left side wheel bearings. hope this made any sense.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts

For me, this turned out to be a power steering pump that was going bad, luckily still under warranty
Kind of a groan, moan noise at slow, tight turns

·
Registered
1,512 Posts

If its making a constant whining groan under tight turns.... its the power steering system. Check the fluid levels first and go from there http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
and to GLI Dan: The noise you're hearing is the tires rubbing the fender well plastic

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
Re: Any noisy steering racks? (IFIWASINMYVW)

Dealership has already checked mine out, they say its normal... Ive got fluid , and its not leaking... but it still makes that brrrwooowooo sound most often making left turns, and most often noticable at low speeds... Definitely no tire rubbing...

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Checked the power steering fluid and it was indeed really low. I'm surprised that the existing fluid was very clean (clear) after 60k miles.
Filled with Pentosin CHF11S until at max indicator on dipstick and power steering is now quiet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.