VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking to start racing karts(100 or 125cc clutch) Is there a way to fit one of these in a A2 GTI, or have some sort of roof rack that'll do the trick? I really don't want to mess w/ a trailer unless I have to(55mph limit in CA) Also, if I have to go w/ a trailer, what size do you recommend for the little 8V? Tks!

·
Registered
986 Posts
Re: any of you guys race karts? (rallyGTI)

Get in touch with Rick Hiland of RIC Racing (http://www.ricracing.com/). He's a local guy (well, to me anyway!) who runs a shop that caters to carters and Formula Ford/Formula Continental. He knows his stuff, and can probably set you up with a kart, or at least the critical info you'd need.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: any of you guys race karts? (Joe92GLi)

thanks, too bad the are on the wrong coast. BTW, if I go w/ the trailer route, should I upgrade my rear springs from stock to help w/ the load?(kart + trailer about 300 lbs, not sure how much weight at the hitch though)

·
Registered
4,216 Posts

If you load your trailer carefully you can have almost zero weight at the tongue. Uprated springs and dampers shouldn't be needed. I don't see why a bike rack (thule or Yakima) wouldn't work for your purpose. You'd just need to have a second person to help load and unload the kart and a few custom mounting brackets to secure the kart to.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: any of you guys race karts? (89GLI16V)

ok, I just never loaded 180 lbs onto the roof of a car before. Any suggestions on the roof rack?

·
Registered
819 Posts

i used to race a DAP formula Y kart (direct drive w/ yamaha 100cc 2 stroke)... as long as you can find someone to give you a hand, a thule roof rack works fine... i would just load mine onto the crossbars and strap down, and then put my stand and other assorted garbage in the trunk of my old '92 jetta... just make sure to strap it down TIGHT (the floorpan of the kart can make the kart do kite impersonations if it is not tied down well)...
good luck...

·
Registered
364 Posts

Forget about the roof rack. Kart racing has changed alot these days. Way back when you could pull up to the track with your kart in the back of your truck, pull it off and go racing. Now.....20ft enclosed trailers are the norm.
My wifes cousin races dirt ovals and just to be competitive....he has probally 50 sets of tires mounted so he can get the right grip on any given track, 2 backup karts, 4-6 engines, a set of scales, fuel..he mixes his own, batteries , starters, etc....etc..
I figure shifter karts on asphalt probally wont require as many different tire compounds but youre gonna need way more room than your GTI and a small trailer. Got any buddies with trucks that might wanna be on your pit crew and haul your stuff for you??

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Re: any of you guys race karts? (Zekes89Jetta)

i have a old margay frame with a yamaha KT100 (100cc) motor. Its pretty fast. I was clocked at 56 in a parking lot, it coulda reached 60 probably, but i ran outta room.
My friend has a 88cc KaliKart and he fit his in the back of mk2 gti...folded the rear seats down, removed the rear tires/wheels (too wide) and pushed/folded the pass seat as far forward as it goes, and the kart fits right in. But now the car is only a 1 seater.
I have a Thule rack and I put my kart on the roof of my jetta. Works great! I'll take some pix next time i take the thing out.

Modified by GLI_16vee at 7:40 PM 7-2-2003

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: any of you guys race karts? (IntrstlarOvrdrve)

Thanks the replies guys, sorry I couldn't get back to the forum earlier. I'm alittle worried that the thule rack may not fit on my GTI, I got 1/2 the gutter length you jetta people have. I thought about the extension piece for short rooflines from thule, but isn't there a 80lb weight limit on that? Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts