VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 01 Jetta WE. I hear a loud droaning noise, seems to be from the rear of the car. I have had passanger even say you car is really noisy. It has 11.5k miles. Tires? Bearings? I also notice a lot of brake dust on the rear wheels, more accumulates on the rear wheels then on the front, strange huh? Any help would be appriciated. I have already once taken it to the sucky VW dealership just give the usual, nothings wrong... any ideas?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Re: Any one have an answer to Bearing noise? (2001Wolfsburg1.8T)

Did you ever find an answer to this? I would like to know because I think my car is having the same noise when cruising around 50mph - 60mph
THanks,
CT

·
Registered
3,770 Posts

Dust is usually brake pads, and in some models for some reason the rear pads wear out faster / get dustier than the fornts. Its' early for the bearings to have gone... have you checked that you have anough brake pad left and it's not the metal-to-metal of the pad backing against the rotor?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Re: Any one have an answer to Bearing noise? (jettafanatic)

I did Jettafanatic, and I got plenty of pad left on my rear pads. The front ones as still very thick. Almost new I want to say. I've had my car for 1 1/2 years now. I did read about mounting and unmounting the wheels will perhaps take care of it. But I don't wanna over tightened them or anything. (i.e Torque). I'm thinking of going to the dealership and see if they do it under warranty since I still have 32k miles on it.

·
Registered
31,002 Posts

Bearing probs are usually front. Not to say your rears can't have probs.
If the sound changes w/speeds and changes when you "load" the car into a turn, that's indicative of bearings.
If the car is lowered, you could be experiencing the joy of our not-so-adjustable rear camber...and/or you may have cupped/scuffed a rear tire as they can drag/hop through a bumpy turn and get a wobble in them.
I got a bizzare noise when I rotated my rubber front to back. Thought it was bearings too. But we put the car on the lift and looked at the front wheel (newly located to that spot) with 1st gear engaged. There was a little "wobble" in the inner tread blocks due to uneven wear.
It tends to even out w/new wear. Try a front/rear rotation.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Re: Any one have an answer to Bearing noise? (Jman5000)

yep i have the same thing..
total intermitent... dealer checked 3 times.. had no idea.
Know what it is ?
Its the damn handbrake, if you engage it halfassed... the rear brakes will slip and make a loud groaning noise. If you engage the handbrake fully or not at all you will not get that noise. Its not from the rear bearings or busings.. so dont worry about it too much. It was driving me nuts for the longest time

·
Registered
210 Posts
Re: Any one have an answer to Bearing noise? (nuke941)

I think I'll try remounting them and make sure they are set @ 89lbs. tq
If that doesn't work than its a trip to the dealer
I did do the tire rotation about 2k ago so it might be the tread wear mentioned above.
Thanks,
CT

·
Registered
26 Posts
Re: Any one have an answer to Bearing noise? (nuke941)

I had the same problem. rear bearings wore out at 26k. had to have bearings and the hub replaced (luckily i took the extended warranty). of course the dealership didn't tell me the pads were worn out even though they had that side apart. one month after i got it done they were down to the rotor. gotta love that vw service

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Re: Any one have an answer to Bearing noise? (antjc600)

bearings tip:
as you go faster the noise gets higher (pitch) and constant droan/humming. vw used soft compound rear brake material to compensate in bias. your not alone on this one, my wifes NB has 72K and front pads are down to 50% original ones that came with it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Re: Any one have an answer to Bearing noise? (atoson)

Well today i went to discount tires and they remounted my wheels to factory specs (90 lbs. torque).
I will go to the dealer today because the remounting didn't do a thing to change the sound I'm hearing.
I'm now 80% sure that it might be my bearings going bad. I do have 32.5k miles on my car so it may be time for those to go.
I'll let you all know the outcome and what the dealer said.
Also Atoson, what you said above is exactly what I'm experiencing
CT

[Modified by Demon_GTI_CAT, 11:37 AM 4-21-2003]

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
FYI!
I had the exact same symptoms with my car
On my 2k2 GTI I had to have my front driver's side bearings replaced after only 17K miles. The service tech said that it looked like the bearing was completely crushed.
I would have those bearings checked right away.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Re: Any one have an answer to Bearing noise? (Demon_GTI_CAT)

Well the dealership did fix the LEFT REAR wheel bearing under warranty. That's the one making all the humming sound. Now I can enjoy the sound of my little turbo a lot more!!!

Thanks again for all the feedback!

[Modified by Demon_GTI_CAT, 6:42 PM 4-23-2003]

·
Registered
27,098 Posts
Re: Any one have an answer to Bearing noise? (Demon_GTI_CAT)

I need to call the dealer. My front drivers side has been making that sound and it is driving me nuts. Car only has 20k miles on it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts