VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,194 Posts
Re: Any one installing an XM radio in their dub? (airyk)

Go with the Pionner RF modulated unit if the stock unit is what you want to keep. As for compatible radios, Alpine and Pioneer units do look nice in VW's. I personally would go with a new radio that is XM compatible for direct (not modulated thru your FM antenna) sound. Either way you willl LOVE IT!!
It gets to the point that when you need to take your car to the shop you get upset because you will lose your XM radio while they are fixing your car. Once you experience, you will never go back.

· Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Any one installing an XM radio in their dub? (Boggus)

yeah, i know all about it, that's why I want to get it!
my roommate works there, so he gets the service for free...bastard! he has shown me around the studio, the place looks awesome.
yeah, i really don't feel like going with the fm modulator thing...if i do that wouldn't i not get the display? or is there still a separate unit that goes in the dash to display the song titles and stuff?

· Registered
1,194 Posts

There is an information screen that allows you to see Station/Song/Title/Artist that has to be mounted where you can see it. It controls what station you listen to. The regualr volume, bass, treble adjustments still work like normal off you factory radio. Modulated is not bad at all....we install a great deal of them on high end cars like M3's, Porsches, Range Rovers, etc without any complaints. You will love it, just stay away from the glass mount antenna....

· Registered
41 Posts

I got mine yesterday. The shop is installing it tomorrow

I got the Sony unit and am going to use it with the factory monsoon head unit. I heard it in a few different cars and since I drive about 40K a year and am in BFE a lot of the time the changer wasn't cutting it. I also chose the Sony so I can hook up the unit in my house. I'll let you know how the install goes. Any suggestions on where to mount the unit?

· Registered
218 Posts

I installed the Sony unit a couple of weekends ago and I really like it. The unit cost me $250
as an open box unit at Circuit City, and I installed it myself. This one uses the cassette
adapter and while it sounds ok, I wish I had gotten the one that wires in directly. Maybe
later.
Also, concerning the antenna, you can put it on top of your dash under the windshield. I
have both the XM antenna and my GPS antenna there and it works just fine. No worries
about how to route the cables inside the car. I run all the wires under my dash cover and
fasten them to the cover using the hook side of Velcro on the unit and antenna. Looks
good, but the "shark fin" antenna looks kind of strange sitting up there.
I'll post a pic or two when I get around to it.
Jeff (56.8K miles since 5/1/01 and climbing!)

· Registered
787 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]yeah, i know all about it, that's why I want to get it!
my roommate works there, so he gets the service for free...bastard! he has shown me around the studio, the place looks awesome.
[HR][/HR]​
Who is your roomate? My sister is Melinda from XM Kids...
Using an FM modulator is pretty pointless. You lose the high quality of digital audio. My JVC head unit has Aux inputs which I'll put to good use with the XM reciever. I can't wait for christmas!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.