VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting to think about my next vehicle and at the moment it is a toss up between a GLI (I currently have a 2000 Jetta VR6) and an '02 1.8TQSM A4. Anyone have experiece with both engines, well at least the 12V VR6 and the 1.8T A4? I am not a speed demon however I do enjoy the pull of the VR6 and I was wondering if the 1.8 A4 will be as much fun to drive.
Obviously the new 24V VR6 will be a much faster car in a straight line however it might not be the best vehicle to take corners in if VW doesn't do some work on the suspension.
Thanks for your opinions.

·
Registered
29,608 Posts
Re: Any one move up from VR6 to 1.8T A4 or own both? (Chaos)

well the a4 will outhandle any vr6 car made, so that fixes that issues (12v or 24v).
Then theres chipping a 1.8T which you will do eventually if you buy it, its just a matter of time. That will give any advantage the 24V has in the power department away.
Then theres the fact that those 24V vr6 cars still look like the old vw's, and the a4 is on a whole nother level.

go drive them both

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts

You would probably miss the VR6. The motor, that is. Even chipped and with a lot of power, the 1.8T doesn't have the same creamy feel, and in terms of sound, the VR6 wins that hands down.
Other than that, though, the A4 is in a different league. In handling, with the sport package, it kills the nose heavy VR6 cars, much more stable over the bumpy stuff, and the A4 chassis is just worlds above the Mk4 Golf/Jetta. As it should be, given the price.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts

I have both. My Girl has a 2001 Jetta VR6 and I have a 2001.5 1.8t A4. The VW is auto and mine is stick. I have to say that her car seems to feel like it has much more power even thou they are equally rated in HP. But as far as torque the VW feels much better. My A4 is not chipped but it still does accel fast. AS far as everything else. The A4 wins hands down. Nothing even close about it. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Any one move up from VR6 to 1.8T A4 or own both? (spikeital)

Thanks everyone. I am hoping to get behind the wheel of an A4 this weekend, that is if the all this snow goes away. I can only assume that sport package + snow =

By then the roads should be dry.

·
Registered
29,608 Posts

take a quattro with some snow tires out and you'll probably make your decision right there and then.. 4 tires beats 1 tire every time

ASR? we don't need no stinkin' ASR

·
Registered
80 Posts

I just moved from a vr6 gti to an A4. But not a turbo a4. Yes that's right, I didn't buy the turbo. Here's the deal in my opinion. The vr6 is really nice and smooth. My 95 gti was faster than your current jett (the new ones are slower) and 0-60 is 7.2 secs. The audi v6 is the same size in terms of litres but it is torque-y-er. If you can afford the newer v6 than it is the same speed as your vr6 = 7.4 er so to 60. Mine is about 7.8 secs to 60. Quick but not fast. The turbo chipped is 7 secs or under I've heard, but it isn't going to be nice and smooth like the vr6 i.e. turbo lag. Also they are higher maintenance, not bad, but higher maintenance. The audi is definately the way to go though. They're totally plush. Much nicer than the vw. You'll find that the audi is always a few years ahead of vw even though they're both VAG. So, if you just wanna go fast and don't care as much about the smooth delivery go with the 1.8t. I'm going to mod the hell out of mine and try to make it as fast as my old stock vr6. I don't know for sure how easy this will be but I'm going to try.

·
Registered
65 Posts

I own both and in the detail or should I say "looks" dept. the Audi takes the trophy. However in the engine dept. well my VR6 has lots of low end torque, however my 2001 A4 1.8T when it was stock at 170hp it felt just like my VR6 with no noticeable turbo lag at all. It actually jumped out quicker than the VR6 becuase its a much lighter engine and it's turbocharged giving me maximum torque at such low rpm's. Now that the A4 is chipped I have averaged 6.2 -6.4 0-60 times and there isn't a current stocked VR6 that can touch me and a few modified ones have been embarrassed by me with my 1.8T. That A4 chipped is phenomenal with such a small displacement and it gives you that huge push back in your seat feel. The VR6 is just a nice sounding over revvving V6 that has lots of punch but if just feels heavier than the A4's 1.8T. The VR6 justs feels like there alot going on but you are looking at your speedometer and swear that you should be doing 60 by now when the thing is just starting to sail past 55 it's quick but not that quick just very torquey and punchy. However the ride in the Audi is much plusher and quieter and very very little wind noise as opposed to the Jetta's or Golf's. Also the steering has a much tighter feel and is more precise than the Vw's also the advantage of quattro add's in more awe to the already awesome suspension set up. Both are great cars and will do the same job, however it really boils down to your preference and what you think that you will be needing more of-Also the interior layout and desing of the Audi will surpass the VW's anytime and the cornering of the Audi is just incredible. My VW's believe it or not have broken more often than my Audi. TO sum it up the VW feels more like for teenagers and the Audi for adults.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.