VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get chipped but I keep hearing horror stories about guys getting chips and having their CPU's fry and the dealer charges them $5,000 to fix it. Or they break something drivetrain wise and the dealer voids the warranty and they have to pay for it. And lastly all the surging issues and DV's going bad (I know, I know, if you want to keep your warranty don't get chipped. I understand that, but I want to see which one's a good safe bet). And lastly all the surging issues and DV's going bad. SO, for this poll I'm only using APR, GIAC and UPSolute.
If any of you had problems please explain what the problem was and what you had to do to get it fixed.
Also I did search, and searching is what led me to ask this. I think this is a valid question and I wouldn't ask it if it wasn't. So if you're going to give me crap about it just shut up and move on. I don't need BS posts. Also, only respond and vote if you've experienced it first hand, NO "I heard"s. Thanks for your help. These companies are all about the same distance from me.
Oh and maybe some mileages of how long you've been chipped and had no prolblems, or had problems, either way.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Re: Any Problems with your Chip??? APR, GIAC, UP... (einsig)

APR=
- 93 Octane program offers just about as much power as any other chip in the market for the K03.
- Seamless and smooth power delivery.
- EMCS option is just AWESOME! The ability to toggle between 93 and RACE programs is just plain fun and will impress any date...hehe
- Their wastegate control is "supposedly" the best...I don't personally know for sure but have been told by a few gurus, including GIAC customers.
-Customer service is bar none THE BEST.
Anyway...I'm in a "helpful" mood!

[Modified by BORA20VT, 3:25 AM 10-3-2002]

[Modified by BORA20VT, 3:26 AM 10-3-2002]

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Re: Any Problems with your Chip??? APR, GIAC, UP... (BORA20VT)

I had alot of trouble with my GIAC and I returned it for a refund.I'm not going to explain it over and over considering Ive done it many times.Pretty much it made the motor cut out completly while driving.
I would not recommend GIAC because of their method of handling problems when they do occur. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Re: Any Problems with your Chip??? APR, GIAC, UP... (JLMax16)

let me just throw this out there.....
it seems like the question shouldn't be which chip will or will not give me problems but rather is my car going to run well after being chipped.
all the chip tuners out there have great products and will give you the most bang for your buck when it comes to performance. no other mod out there gives you more output for the same amount of money.
the catch is i believe that it's the luck of the draw on whether or not your car will perform as it's supposed to after it has been chipped. for the various reasons why your car may not perform to spec see the very helpful FAQ post at the top of this forum. all these surging issues, power cutting out and DTC codes are not because the programming of the chip is bad. it has everything to do with the fact that every car is slightly different and can have a specific part that is not exactly to spec which can cause it to run better or worse than the norm.
now if you have the chip installed and the car just plain won't start then you need to check if it was installed correctly and none of the pins were damaged in the process. i have seen a small number of cases on this forum where the chip that someone got was just bad in which case i believe the chip tuner would just send them a new one.
so the moral of this post is that all these chips are made to the same specs within the same version of course, and if your car doesn't perform to spec the problem most likely something on the car itself that isn't quite right.
lastly, i have the giac xchip and i love the power.... very smooth and aggressive... the best performance for the money... if you want the switchability right now then apr is your best bet...
i would above all go with the company that has a install shop nearest to you so you can go and have any problems diagnosed without too much trouble...
good luck and enjoy your new boost when you get it.
James

·
Registered
35 Posts
Re: Any Problems with your Chip??? APR, GIAC, UP... (JLMax16)

I got me an APR 93 program w/stock option. Best thing I've ever experienced in my life hands down!! I've never experienced any surging, or power loss of any sort, for that matter. Boost spikes @ 19 psi , Everything starts getting blurry, dotted lines flow solid, before you know it you've run out of gears, you slowly come back, the haze lifts. - Then you call everyone you know and tell them your new car does over 150!!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
PS - (You may or may not experience wood while this all happens. - if you do not, it is not true love and the car must go.)

·
Registered
9,909 Posts
Re: Any Problems with your Chip??? APR, GIAC, UP... (xltheory)

I have MAJOR problems:
1. Increased tire wear
2. Increased accumulation of speeding tickets
3. Increased insurance (due in part to the speeding tickets)
4. Angry wife and continous downshift, accelerate, brake runs
5. Increased gas bills (due in part to #4)
So, yea.. I have major issues.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Re: Any Problems with your Chip??? APR, GIAC, UP... (christobob)

hey christobob..... my car already does over 150... i didnt have the balls to go faster than 155 though...well that and the straightaway was coming to an end
and i dont even have a chip yet... although i will be APR'd by TUESDAY
im scared to find out how fast i will be then...

·
Banned
2,410 Posts
Re: Any Problems with your Chip??? APR, GIAC, UP... (BoostedVeeDub)

quote:[HR][/HR]I had alot of trouble with my GIAC and I returned it for a refund.I'm not going to explain it over and over considering Ive done it many times.Pretty much it made the motor cut out completly while driving.
I would not recommend GIAC because of their method of handling problems when they do occur. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif [HR][/HR]​
Bummer, sorry to hear that http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif .

On a side note: I have Upsolute and the customer service is unmatched. It may be one of the more conservative chips, but what it loses in immediate power it gives back in handfulls in peace of mind. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Banned
7,500 Posts
Re: Any Problems with your Chip??? APR, GIAC, UP... (tvwrbo)

quote:[HR][/HR]I got me an APR 93 program w/stock option. Best thing I've ever experienced in my life hands down!! I've never experienced any surging, or power loss of any sort, for that matter. Boost spikes @ 19 psi , Everything starts getting blurry, dotted lines flow solid, before you know it you've run out of gears, you slowly come back, the haze lifts. - Then you call everyone you know and tell them your new car does over 150!!!
PS - (You may or may not experience wood while this all happens. - if you do not, it is not true love and the car must go.) [HR][/HR]​
ROLF

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
Re: Any Problems with your Chip??? APR, GIAC, UP... (jim wilson)

GIAC .... well I have the X-chip, and there was a bit of surging. I did switch the N75 valve and do not have surging anymore. I noticed that somebody said GIAC doesnt handle problems well. But I beg to differ. My car wouldnt start after the X-chip flash.... I emailed GIAC telling the issues, meanwhile I had version 10 put back on becasue I needed to drive the car. They responded to me along with the local tuner shop( EvO ) and got the problem resolved. they then set up a time and tried it again. It worked.
So maybe the way that you approach the company with a problem is the way you are treated
just a little "FFT"
I havent had the experience with any other chip or the company so I can not say how they rate. I would love to try the APR chip with 3 programs, but that would require muchO funds.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: Any Problems with your Chip??? APR, GIAC, UP... (spoolin)

This is good info, thanks to all of you for taking the time to actually post something useful and not complaining. I've read the FAQ and searched, it didn't answer everything I wanted to know and it gave me a headache reading all the posts. Plus it's giving me good insight on customer service, added bonus.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Re: Any Problems with your Chip??? APR, GIAC, UP... (FlyinTurbo)

quote:[HR][/HR]I have MAJOR problems:
1. Increased tire wear
2. Increased accumulation of speeding tickets
3. Increased insurance (due in part to the speeding tickets)
4. Angry wife and continous downshift, accelerate, brake runs
5. Increased gas bills (due in part to #4)
So, yea.. I have major issues.

[HR][/HR]​
This is the reason i chose i have problems
i 2nd this

·
Registered
411 Posts
Re: Any Problems with your Chip??? APR, GIAC, UP... (Jwile)

2nd day ecu has been gone.... getting nervous twitch.... i .....need....a......fix.....cant... go... weekend.....without car.... ahh well it will eb worth it when i get it back tuesday

[Modified by reapergato, 5:10 AM 10-4-2002]

[Modified by reapergato, 5:10 AM 10-4-2002]

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.