VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
The Goodyears are shot and it is time to replace. I found them actually very good in wet and snow.
Can anyone recommend any decent all-seasons. I am in Toronto so snow performance is important.
thanks

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Any recommended ALL SEASON TIRES (nokona)

Do you run the NRWs all year?
I hear that some people do, it seems a little aggressive to me.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
Re: Any recommended ALL SEASON TIRES (FatSean)

quote:[HR][/HR]Dunlop SP5000. I'm on my 2nd set.[HR][/HR]​
I second the vote on the SP5000s. On our Passat, they were pretty darn good in the deep snow we had last year and it's next to impossible to even get a chirp from them in anything approaching normal driving in the dry.

·
Registered
13,011 Posts
Re: Any recommended ALL SEASON TIRES (brydymond)

quote:[HR][/HR]Do you run the NRWs all year?
I hear that some people do, it seems a little aggressive to me.[HR][/HR]​
I think the only concerns with doing so would be noise and perhaps treadwear, though Nokians are known to wear well. I personally run them only in the winter, just because I can run something more sticky the rest of the year. That said, I second Nokona's recommendation.

·
Premium Member
'21 Tacoma TRD-Offroad – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
37,224 Posts

I am completely enamored with the Dunlop SP5000's on My Pro5. They are great in the wet and dry. I'm not sure how they'd be in snow though. I have Arctic Alpins for winter.

·
Registered
14,856 Posts
Re: Any recommended ALL SEASON TIRES (Sporin)

I'll give a 4th vote for the Dunlop SP5000 Sports. I just replaced my RS-As on with them and plan to use them year-round. Not only do they perform about 10x better, but I have not yet been able to make them squeak AND they are much more comfortable a ride than the goodyears. I can't recommend them enough...and they recently had them on sale at Sears....

·
Registered
721 Posts
Re: Any recommended ALL SEASON TIRES (bigelliot)

I am using SP Sport A2s, 1 grade lower than the SP5000, and they are great tires. So i must say SP5000 must be even better!

·
Registered
8,907 Posts

Bridgestone RE950s
Firestone Firehawk SH30s (really)
Check the ratings and evaluations on The Tirerack.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Re: Any recommended ALL SEASON TIRES (FatSean)

quote:[HR][/HR]Dunlop SP5000. I'm on my 2nd set.[HR][/HR]​
I just bought a set of these last week and like 'em just fine.

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
Re: Any recommended ALL SEASON TIRES (VWhombre)

quote:[HR][/HR]Bridgestone RE950s
Firestone Firehawk SH30s (really)
Check the ratings and evaluations on The Tirerack.[HR][/HR]​
A second vote for the Bridgestone Potenza RE-950. While I haven't driven them in the snow yet, dry handling is awesome for a 60-series tire, and wet hanlding is *incredible*, even in torrential downpours when everyone else is slowed. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
T.C.

·
Registered
8,633 Posts

I was looking for something good as well...and after checking the Tirerack reviews, I came to the following conclusion:
There is no 'all-season' tire that will provide truly acceptable snow traction for the weather we get here.
Having said that though, and after talking to A LOT of tire retailers, what you want to look for is an open face tread design, such as on the Yokohama AEGIS LS4. I have a set on my wife's car and I never got stuck once last year while my poor Golf got snow bound several times on it's high performance All Seasons.
It also depends greatly on your budget and driving style as to what type of tire you will choose ultimately. If I had to pick an all season high performance tire today, I would likely choose the Michelin Pilot XGT H4 as the rubber of choice. It was rated very highly overall by several people, including snow traction.
For a regular all season tire, I think the Yokohama AEGIS is pretty hard to beat. I don't think they are available in Canada anymore but the tire that replaced it the Yokohama AVID TC320 is supposed to be designed specifically for Canadian weather conditions, so you could try that also.
Good luck!

·
Registered
13,011 Posts
Re: Any recommended ALL SEASON TIRES (Red Baron Golf)

quote:[HR][/HR]I was looking for something good as well...and after checking the Tirerack reviews, I came to the following conclusion:
There is no 'all-season' tire that will provide truly acceptable snow traction for the weather we get here. [HR][/HR]​
Why do you think nokona and I suggested the Nokian NRW? It really can handle the snow.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts