VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking the plunge and need to know if there is a dark side . My GTi runs flawlessly right now and I hate to create problems where there are none. i really want that big engine though.

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
Re: Any regrets with VR6 Conversions? (J.Knipl)

Only regrets I have about mine are that I never really finished it (bodywork and paint), and that I sold it.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Re: Any regrets with VR6 Conversions? (vr6swap)

hee hee if its an mk2 it will make it flip over LMAO, no but really don't the vr's have weak trannys ? I know that gold member(from momentum ) had a ton of tranny work in order for it to handle any real hp #s

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
Re: Any regrets with VR6 Conversions? (nogogl)

My guess would be that the Momentum car had a ton of tranny work because it was putting out something like 600 hp at the crank, more than 3 times the stock figure.
A Quaife or Peloquin diff and a bolt kit would be more than enough for most.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts

I'm not 100% sure about that, but several of my friends that have done the have all had to replace the trannys, or get them rebuilt

·
Registered
7,050 Posts

Quote, originally posted by nogogl »
I'm not 100% sure about that, but several of my friends that have done the have all had to replace the trannys, or get them rebuilt

And I'm 100% sure that some people could tear up an anvil.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts

Quote, originally posted by vr6swap »

And I'm 100% sure that some people could tear up an anvil.

LOL

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Re: Any regrets with VR6 Conversions? (heathens)

none yet but i dont drive the car every day and even if i did i dont think i would have any though.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts

Quote, originally posted by nogogl »
hee hee if its an mk2 it will make it flip over LMAO, no but really don't the vr's have weak trannys ? I know that gold member(from momentum ) had a ton of tranny work in order for it to handle any real hp #s
dude if you dropped your car and have great tight suspension then i dont tink your mk2 vr would flip

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
Re: Any regrets with VR6 Conversions? (007BOND)

Quote, originally posted by 007BOND »
dude if you dropped your car and have great tight suspension then i dont tink your mk2 vr would flip

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
Re: Any regrets with VR6 Conversions? (J.Knipl)

Just did mine after driving a friends GTI and am loving it. still working out some bugs but other then little stuff its so much fun.
his swap was all 92 corrado he used the plus suspention,H&R springs for a corrado. corrado dash ,5 lug whatever he could.
I used the shorter arms 4 lug and corrado cup kit. mine corners ok but does seem alittle tipsy I am going to put my coilovers on it to get it alittle lower to the ground and maybe it wont sway as much. It almost feels like stock height right now

I have put only 200 miles on it so far but Im not lookin back just be sure to take your time and do it all right. If you bay isnt mint you will kick yourself if you dont respray it when its done cause its a beautiful motor and a crappy bay will just make you not want to show it off

I would recomend the plus suspention and 5 lug because it does feel alittle more planted. if your not going to do much cornering hard the stock stuff is fine.
Russell

Modified by Boostedcorrados at 4:45 AM 5-25-2004

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Re: Any regrets with VR6 Conversions? (tkic)

I saw a guy back out of his driveway and flip his A2 VR6. It was weird. It just flipped....

·
Registered
924 Posts
Re: Any regrets with VR6 Conversions? (Boostedcorrados)

I have been driving my 86 jetta coupe vr6 everyday for the last 6 months
before that the motor was in my 89 jetta gl
only thing i wish i did was grab a mkIII gas tank or at least the fuel level sending unit. so my gas gauges works right since i have a mkIII gauge cluster and I run obdII no dist to worry about.
whiile you do the swap do the timming chains and clutch if the miles are getting up there and if you do do the timing chains go the extra mile and throw in a mkIV headgasket for a few extra hp
now i wish i had the money to build my project vr6 turbo

·
Registered
10,737 Posts
Re: Any regrets with VR6 Conversions? (need_a_VR6)

Quote, originally posted by need_a_VR6 »

HAD to be done. That a little gif of my personal car flipping over. I actually am in the process of swapping a 16v back in, just so I don't have to get the roof and door fixed again.

Fricking hilarious.
You know, twin chrome wiper blades could have prevented that from happening. Did your shoe fall off too?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts