VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I enjoy reading old reviews of cars.

Anyone have or know where I can find a review of the Yugo sold back in the late 80s? Something like a Car and Driver or Road and Track article?

Might be a fun read :)

·
Registered
625 Posts
Comparison of budget cars available in Europe from a 1985 isue of What Car? magazine.

[edit] kind of similar lineup to the Top Gear video choochoo posted.:beer:

·
Registered
16,725 Posts
I think I remember reading a review of the Yugo (or maybe it was the Hyundai Excel) which praised the optional rear window defroster, whose primary function was a hand warmer for those pushing the car.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I remember a comparison article in MT or C&D that pitted the Excel "sport" trim vs the Yugo "sport" trim...

·
Registered
45,023 Posts
I think I remember reading a review of the Yugo (or maybe it was the Hyundai Excel) which praised the optional rear window defroster, whose primary function was a hand warmer for those pushing the car.
I don't remember that being in a review, but it was a standard joke at the time. See also:

"What do you call a Yugo with 4 doors? A Wego!"

"How do you double the worth of a Yugo? Fill the tank!"

A guy walks into a parts store and says to the counterman: "I'll take a gas cap for my Yugo." The parts guy says "That sounds like a fair trade to me!"

Yuk yuk yuk! :wave:

·
Registered
44,112 Posts
That was the Volvo 240 wagon

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the articles and videos. The first video was pretty funny :D

What's amusing is that while the Yugo was clearly an atrocious car, compared with the rest of the Eastern Bloc cars in existence at the time, it was practically a Mercedes Benz (see the comparo article posted earlier).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts